Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 May 2014 (Friday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

setting white balance

Waltdo
145 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 02, 2014 14:44 |  #1

I have a canon 60D and was visiting with someone and they were trying to tell me to set the white balance you should take a picture of a white sheet of paper? I am confused. Is there a place I can find out more about this? Thanks

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,356 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 02, 2014 14:45 |  #2

Fill the circle on your viewfinder with a neutral grey or white object. Then go into the menu for white balance and select that shot as the reference image. Then set your white balance setting to "custom". This is all spelled out in your camera's manual. Custom white balance is useful when none of the presets are quite right, such as under compact fluorescent lights which have a low Kelvin temperature and a strong green cast.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 02, 2014 14:50 |  #3

Custom white balance should also be done before shooting video in each new lighting conditions. Will save you a lot of heartache in post.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Waltdo
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 02, 2014 15:41 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #4

Thank you will read the maual

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

May 02, 2014 16:02 |  #5

If you shoot RAW you can adjust white balance in post. One of the big advantages to RAW. Still useful to shoot a neutral target for later "eyedropper" correction, for non-critical stuff can usually eyeball it or use a neutral target in the shot (white shirt, paper, tablecloth, occasionally even teeth or whites of the eyes).

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

windpig
Chopped liver
14,917 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2014 16:07 |  #6

Not all whites are neutral. Get and use a neutral target, but realize it may not be the optimum WB, but gets a nice starting point.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 02, 2014 16:24 |  #7

I agree to all of the above, just realize: the times where to me setting a custom WB could be really helpful (or important) are typically indoors scenes with artificial light as the "main" light source and there is any doubt about the light "temperature".

In practice I use Auto White Balance most of the time, both for outdoor/daytime shooting and, when indoors, if I'm using flash. Note that I do shoot in Raw, and then I find that the camera does a pretty good job of handling the WB both for daylight and for flash. If I'm shooting indoors, I actually don't mind a bit of a "mix" between the flash and some ambient light.

However, I don't do studio shooting and don't have "stringent" requirements when it comes to my lighting and colors, so your mileage may vary!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 02, 2014 22:29 |  #8

Waltdo wrote in post #16877750 (external link)
I have a canon 60D and was visiting with someone and they were trying to tell me to set the white balance you should take a picture of a white sheet of paper?

Gray Card…White Paper. What’s best?

And just to muddy the waters a bit, remember that the "correct" WB isn't necessarily the "right" WB for a particular image? Would you want to neutralize the nice colors in a sunset? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 02, 2014 23:54 |  #9

Use Auto WB, shoot in RAW. Get Lightroom (LR) & learn to use it, adjust every picture in LR.
Your photos will take on a whole new look.

The first couple of years of this hobby I shot in JPG. Finally someone convinced me to shoot in Raw. I never looked back.
Yes, the files are much bigger. I bought a 1TB external hard drive to store my pics, and I totally filled it up. Now I have a 3TB external.

Now the only time I ever shoot in JPG is if someone ask me to take a pic and they need it immediately.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 03, 2014 19:02 |  #10

guntoter wrote in post #16878700 (external link)
Use Auto WB, shoot in RAW.
Get Lightroom (LR) & learn to use it, adjust every picture in LR.

^^ that

windpig
Chopped liver
14,917 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 03, 2014 19:04 |  #11

I set to 5000K or do a custom WB, either way I shoot a neutral target. I never use AWB.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 03, 2014 19:58 |  #12

Auto WB on left, Custom WB with grey card on right.

http://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net …969594113_51667​0795_o.jpg (external link)

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 04, 2014 07:08 |  #13

guntoter wrote in post #16878700 (external link)
Use Auto WB, shoot in RAW. Get Lightroom (LR) & learn to use it, adjust every picture in LR.

The first couple of years of this hobby I shot in JPG. Finally someone convinced me to shoot in Raw. I never looked back.
Yes, the files are much bigger. I bought a 1TB external hard drive to store my pics, and I totally filled it up. Now I have a 3TB external.

Now the only time I ever shoot in JPG is if someone ask me to take a pic and they need it immediately.

or get it right in camera first and spend less time during post sitting in front of a computer...

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 04, 2014 08:32 |  #14

xchangx wrote in post #16880109 (external link)
Auto WB on left, Custom WB with grey card on right.

And given the data that the camera has to work with in that first image (if that is a large part of the whole image) AWB has actually done a very good job of balancing the colour in the image. Fill the image with a large area of any one colour and AWB will try to make it grey. That's all any automatic system can try to do, average the whole scene to match the three colour channels. I suppose that you could possibly add in some general pattern matching system that might say recognise what might be say sky in a landscape and add a little bias to the system to allow for the sky being blue.

Also I will add that the site has a limit of 1024 pixels on the long edge of any image embedded in a page to make the whole page easy to read. That big image really doesn't help if you are not reading on a large widescreen computer monitor.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 04, 2014 09:58 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #16880936 (external link)
Also I will add that the site has a limit of 1024 pixels on the long edge of any image embedded in a page to make the whole page easy to read. That big image really doesn't help if you are not reading on a large widescreen computer monitor.

It doesn't matter if the person posting the image can see it all on his/her computer. What matters is whether or not EVERYBODY ELSE on the forum can see the whole image on THEIR computers. Everyone should limit posted images to a maximum of 1024 pixels in either direction. That avoids problems with reading the text as well as seeing the images.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

2,998 views & 0 likes for this thread
setting white balance
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.