Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 May 2014 (Thursday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help!

actionphotos
30 posts
Joined May 2014

May 01, 2014 23:28 |  #1

I am interested in starting a youth action sports photography business and not sure what equipment I really need to make it work? I currently have a Canon T3i with a Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II USM plus a 1.4 Tele converter. My results are mixed some soft focus, my reach too short. The speed of the camera fps seems way too slow. I am looking for recommendations for a new body and/or lens. Do I need to go to full frame or stick to crop sensor? Really confused and not sure how much I really need to spend. Your help is much appreciated.

sponsored links
eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2014 06:35 |  #2

I would start with at least a 300 f/4 and a 7D camera. For a business I think you need two cameras so you always have a backup. I use a Mark IV and 300 2.8 for 90% of my business. 7D is my backup and it usually has the 70-200 attached.

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

May 02, 2014 15:03 |  #3

It would be helpful to have an idea as to where you are and what types of sports you plan to shoot.

There's a lot of advice on the forums with regards to sports candids, so I recommend using the search feature. Here's a particularly good thread (external link), which includes the following quote "the bottom line will be this... the industry from your perspective is dead no matter how many tell you to "try this" and "try that"."

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2014 17:22 |  #4

What do you mean by that quote? Very confusing advice there

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CharlieB2B
73 posts
Joined May 2013

May 02, 2014 17:44 |  #5

This topic has been discussed many times before... First question before you spend more money is there a market for what you would like to offer? Many parents get themselves a point and shoot camera and will probably will be happy with the results. Kids want inmediate satisfaction or digital downloads so they can post them in their favorite social networks. On the other hand, many organized leagues try to keep a slice of the photography revenue stream by giving exclusivity to one or two photographers for a percentage of their sales. This means that perhaps you will not gain access to the sporting venue to take pictures up close or on the sidelines.

I would rather try to go on with whatever equipment you have as this idea of becoming a sports photographer for kids can become expensive. If you are thinking football or baseball and would like to go full frame the you will not have the APS-C sensor and the same great lens you have now, will not be as splendid anymore as you will lose some reach. Then there is the issue if you are going to shoot only day games or also at night. The same camera you might get might not prove to so great at night. In any case, I was just thinking aloud...

I shoot with a 1DX and a 300 f/2.8 L II or a 70-200 f/2.8 L II and have a 7D as a backup.

Cheers,

Charlie

Canon 1DX, 7D - Only sports pictures...

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

May 02, 2014 20:32 |  #6

eigga wrote in post #16878037 (external link)
What do you mean by that quote? Very confusing advice there

Did you follow the link? It might not have been very obvious, so here it is: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/12791​00/0 (external link)

Basic premise is there isn't much money in sports candids anymore. Those doing well are doing team and individual sales and/or providing posters, banners, etc. Not saying there aren't exceptions though.

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2014 20:57 |  #7

I got the link but I was pointing out the OP asked about recommendations for equipment not business advice. I do very well with my youth sports business regardless how many cameras the parents have. All businesses are difficult to start and photography is no different. Best of luck to you!

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,679 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2014 20:59 |  #8

Agree with all the above. I posted my comments on your other thread in sports talk.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

May 02, 2014 21:10 |  #9

pat.kane wrote in post #16878361 (external link)
Basic premise is there isn't much money in sports candids anymore. Those doing well are doing team and individual sales and/or providing posters, banners, etc. Not saying there aren't exceptions though.

That pretty much sums it up, :D

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

p3av8or
226 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 03, 2014 03:05 |  #10

If you are using a crop frame camera and a 70-200mm and still too far away, I'm assuming you are shooting field sports. If you live in an area that has rental equipment, you may want to look at that as a means of getting the gear you need while testing the market.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude." John Wayne, (Rio Bravo)
Lot's o' Canon gear with a couple Sigma lenses to boot
Oly EM5 Mk II and EM1 mk II and a handful of lenses.
www.tweddlephoto.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …raphy-LLC/211181952284213 (external link)

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

May 03, 2014 07:16 |  #11

eigga wrote in post #16878411 (external link)
I got the link but I was pointing out the OP asked about recommendations for equipment not business advice. I do very well with my youth sports business regardless how many cameras the parents have. All businesses are difficult to start and photography is no different. Best of luck to you!

Hence the reason I asked what types of sports the OP planned to shoot. There's a world of difference between someone only interested in shooting indoors vs field sports. Maybe they want to shoot everything, but without info, some examples of what they've shot, etc., it is hard to offer advice on gear. The linked article was to serve as a warning in case the poster thought this was going to be easy.

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 03, 2014 13:26 |  #12

pat.kane wrote in post #16879009 (external link)
Hence the reason I asked what types of sports the OP planned to shoot. There's a world of difference between someone only interested in shooting indoors vs field sports. Maybe they want to shoot everything, but without info, some examples of what they've shot, etc., it is hard to offer advice on gear. The linked article was to serve as a warning in case the poster thought this was going to be easy.

Agree with all of this. Thanks for clarifying

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 04, 2014 00:46 |  #13

actionphotos wrote in post #16876400 (external link)
I am interested in starting a youth action sports photography business and not sure what equipment I really need to make it work? I currently have a Canon T3i with a Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II USM plus a 1.4 Tele converter. My results are mixed some soft focus, my reach too short. The speed of the camera fps seems way too slow. I am looking for recommendations for a new body and/or lens. Do I need to go to full frame or stick to crop sensor? Really confused and not sure how much I really need to spend. Your help is much appreciated.

With all due respect, I think you need to rethink your business plan. If you are confused about what equipment you need to shoot sports you need to stop and actually get good at it first. Otherwise you'll sink fast, real fast.

Action sports isn't what it used to be. Most parents won't care about quality and will probably not buy from you. One way I've seen people be successful at this is if you set up stations at a tournament and have onsite viewing and printing, but that costs a lot of upfront capital and man power.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

JeremyBlake
531 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 04, 2014 08:31 |  #14

When you use a teleconverter, stop down a bit. It'll get rid of some of the softness. With my 300 f/2.8 IS II I use a 1.4x III, which puts me at 420mm f/4, but I stop down to f/5 or f/5.6 and it's close to as sharp as my 300 without the 1.4 on it. :)

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Feedback

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 04, 2014 18:12 |  #15

xchangx wrote in post #16880546 (external link)
With all due respect, I think you need to rethink your business plan. If you are confused about what equipment you need to shoot sports you need to stop and actually get good at it first. Otherwise you'll sink fast, real fast.

Action sports isn't what it used to be. Most parents won't care about quality and will probably not buy from you. One way I've seen people be successful at this is if you set up stations at a tournament and have onsite viewing and printing, but that costs a lot of upfront capital and man power.

I agree, if you don't believe this check out some threads in the business section.
A parent with a cheap Rebel and 55-250IS can get good sports action pics from the sidelines

sponsored links

2,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Help!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.