Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 May 2014 (Monday) 12:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio lights freezing movement

LensNV
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2014 12:11 |  #1

Hi,

I need to photography some young children in a couple of weeks against a white background. Children don't seem to sit still for long so could some one advise on what camper and off camera flash settings I should use,

I'm using a canon 5d mkiii and elinchrom D-Lite 400 RX lights.

Any info would b great.

Thanks

Simon

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 12:19 |  #2

As long as your arent getting any significant ambient light contribution in your studio then the lights should freeze the motion. Unless you have the kids jumping or some other motion where you try to freeze them in full active motion you shouldnt have to worry at all. The duration on studio strobes is enough to freeze the fidgets and casual motions. But if you are wanting to freeze motion, here are a few thoughts. Shutter speed doesnt really matter as the flash duration becomes your effective shutter speed (for proof google freezing bullets in midair). Most studio strobes have their shortest duration at full power (unlike speedlites and the einstein from PCB). So if you wanted to freeze someone jumping full power would be best.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 05, 2014 13:37 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #16883615 (external link)
As long as your arent getting any significant ambient light contribution in your studio then the lights should freeze the motion. Unless you have the kids jumping or some other motion where you try to freeze them in full active motion you shouldnt have to worry at all. The duration on studio strobes is enough to freeze the fidgets and casual motions. But if you are wanting to freeze motion, here are a few thoughts. Shutter speed doesnt really matter as the flash duration becomes your effective shutter speed (for proof google freezing bullets in midair). Most studio strobes have their shortest duration at full power (unlike speedlites and the einstein from PCB). So if you wanted to freeze someone jumping full power would be best.

Some packs use capacitor switching to achieve faster speed at lower power too, as in speedotron packs.

Other high speed packs that operate on IGBT circuitry like speedlites and Einstein from PCB are the Profoto Pro8a, the Bowens Creo, and the Broncolor Scoro....Saddly those also cost one arm, one leg, and usually something internal.

I am not familiar enough with elinchrom, but if you have some elinchrom flash units, maybe, you also have some speedlites which can definitely free motion!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

LensNV
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2014 14:03 |  #4

Thanks for the info. Yes, in addition to my elinchrom strobes I also have a couple on Canon 600 ex-rt speedlights. Any setup you would recommend. Basically the request is for the kids against a white background.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 14:06 |  #5

Have you done white backgrounds before? If so, just the same way you would before.

LensNV
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2014 14:08 |  #6

Yes. I tend to light it 1-2 stops brighter than the key light. Assume that's correct.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 14:10 |  #7

LensNV wrote in post #16883878 (external link)
Yes. I tend to light it 1-2 stops brighter than the key light. Assume that's correct.

Yes, that will work. Just be careful that the kids dont get so close to the drop that you start getting wrap light bouncing back and cutting down your edge contrast.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 05, 2014 14:18 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #16883884 (external link)
Yes, that will work. Just be careful that the kids dont get so close to the drop that you start getting wrap light bouncing back and cutting down your edge contrast.

I suppose we could tie the children in place? :)

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 14:21 |  #9

pyrojim wrote in post #16883909 (external link)
I suppose we could tie the children in place? :)

I prefer duct tape myself.

LensNV
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 05, 2014 14:55 |  #10

Yes, I've had a slight problem with fine hair slightly blowing out. Not an issue with contrast or clothing just fine whispy hair. What distance would you recommend from the background to the subject.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 05, 2014 15:19 |  #11

LensNV wrote in post #16884031 (external link)
Yes, I've had a slight problem with fine hair slightly blowing out. Not an issue with contrast or clothing just fine whispy hair. What distance would you recommend from the background to the subject.

It depends on how bright your background is. I like having about 5 feet or so because that eliminates shadows falling on the drop, but this is the part that comes down to taste. I've heard you can meter the light bouncing off the drop and falling on the subject's back so that its roughly the same as the light falling on the front. I've never tried that method, but it might be worth a shot.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 05, 2014 17:24 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #16884084 (external link)
It depends on how bright your background is. I like having about 5 feet or so because that eliminates shadows falling on the drop, but this is the part that comes down to taste. I've heard you can meter the light bouncing off the drop and falling on the subject's back so that its roughly the same as the light falling on the front. I've never tried that method, but it might be worth a shot.

That approach works well. I setup my main with the power I want. Mostly I shoot this kind of stuff about F10. Then I get the background even side to side and bottom to top. Once that's accomplished I put those lights into a group and stand on the T mark. point the meter dome at the background and adjust power till its F10.

First test shot confirms the relationship and I make final adjustment, then fire away.

That setup takes 4 lights. Main, fill and two on the background. THIS (external link) job was shot using that technique. Notice that the edge of her arms are subtlety shadowed rather than wrapped with light from background.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

LensNV
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 06, 2014 00:55 |  #13

dmward wrote in post #16884348 (external link)
That approach works well. I setup my main with the power I want. Mostly I shoot this kind of stuff about F10. Then I get the background even side to side and bottom to top. Once that's accomplished I put those lights into a group and stand on the T mark. point the meter dome at the background and adjust power till its F10.

First test shot confirms the relationship and I make final adjustment, then fire away.

That setup takes 4 lights. Main, fill and two on the background. THIS (external link) job was shot using that technique. Notice that the edge of her arms are subtlety shadowed rather than wrapped with light from background.

Thanks for the comment. So looking at your setup you have the background at the same exposure as you key lights?

sponsored links

1,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio lights freezing movement
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.