Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 05 May 2014 (Monday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to improve photos on bright days

rob4bama
132 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 05, 2014 23:23 |  #1

I shoot mostly sports pictures. Just get the light that you get and you go with it. Also, there is no posing. They are playing and it is what it is. But now some teams are asking me to do team and individual photos. Also, my sis-in-law asked me to do some family pictures of them. I usually do it on their time and it seems likes its always super harsh bright skies and no shade. I tried the family photos with a flash, but my colors are all over the place. Also, everything looks lime green.

Ex.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/14110222892_3dd6f13b24_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nuSz​F3  (external link) 317A995027 (external link) by Section Sports Pix (external link), on Flickr

What can I do? I'm I going about it all wrong or what?

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2014 01:40 |  #2

I'm no expert but like you I am first and foremost a sports photographer who has stared doing team and individual portraits. Done loads of reading (Syl Arena's book The Speedlighter's Handbook is excellent) and I would offer the following points.
When you have bright sky, as in the photo you have shown, I think it would have been better if you had slightly underexposed the ambient background light by increasing shutter speed so that the sky was not blown out and the green of the trees was not quite as dominant. High Speed Sync might have been required or reduce the iso. Your flash strength is nor far out - ETTL? I prefer manual for portraits - take a test shot and then make adjustments as necessary.
The picture goes dark at the bottom. Maybe you were too close and the flash was on zoom and so the spread was not quite right?
I used to be afraid of back lit portraiture and team shots but a bit of practice and confidence with manual settings for both ambient and flash will pay off.
No doubt the experts will jump in soon and give you more precise advice

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 06, 2014 03:35 |  #3

I always underexpose the background, usually by at least 2 stops. What type of equipment do you have for flash? Are you using off-camera flash? the photo you posted looks like it. As for your lime green photos, try using a gray card or anything else to have an accurate white balance. If you have Lightroom, you can use the auto WB tool and point it at the white parts of the eyes, I find that's a fairly good area as practically everyone's eyes should have almost the same color/shade. Also be careful when subjects are standing on a grassy field, the flash/sunlight bounces off the grass and goes up to the subjects, which creates a green hue on their skin.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

rob4bama
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 06, 2014 10:17 |  #4

On this picture I used off camera flash. 1 Yungnuo 560 in a 24" softbox. I had never used the softbox I bought so I just wanted to try it out. I also used a canon 5d mark iii and a 70-200 lens. I don't think I can do high speed sync. Thank you for the comments!

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 06, 2014 15:18 |  #5

rob4bama wrote in post #16885826 (external link)
On this picture I used off camera flash. 1 Yungnuo 560 in a 24" softbox. I had never used the softbox I bought so I just wanted to try it out. I also used a canon 5d mark iii and a 70-200 lens. I don't think I can do high speed sync. Thank you for the comments!

I use a variable ND filter for the purpose of being able to use flash with bright sunlight, and also shoot at wide apertures.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

xishnik
23 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 27, 2014 00:50 |  #6

if you are mixing sunlight and flash without gelling your flash to match the ambient colour, you will always have issues. Just change your white balance to make the skin tones correct and don't worry about the rest.
Otherwise, gel your flash or use a reflector instead.
just my $0.02 worth

RMH
998 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2014 11:53 |  #7

xishnik wrote in post #16932758 (external link)
if you are mixing sunlight and flash without gelling your flash to match the ambient colour, you will always have issues. Just change your white balance to make the skin tones correct and don't worry about the rest.
Otherwise, gel your flash or use a reflector instead.
just my $0.02 worth

Or convert to B&W - the lazy persons solution :D

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 05, 2014 13:03 |  #8

I myself look for shade, tunnel of sort. if not how about a reflecter using the diffuser circle if no shade. This will soften the light for you, and keep the skin tone even and no harsh shadows.

Actually I'm just learning to use reflectors, but I do know the diffuser circle will work in harsh situations. You will just need a few helpers to hold it and hopefully very little wind.

Also, the lime greens you mention should be able to fixed easily in lightroom.

sponsored links

2,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to improve photos on bright days
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.