Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2014 (Tuesday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MkII can't focus/recompose

photoflurry
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 13:11 |  #1

I've had my 5D MkII for about 2 1/2 years now, and a few months ago it inexplicably quit locking focus for me. Nothing happened with the camera, have been using it like always - no damage, etc. Just started realizing that when I focused on an area, then re-composed, it wasn't holding the original focus point. So I turned on the focal point setting so I could see during and after a shot where the focus had been. Any time I focus/recomposed, the focus was never on the original point of focus.

I've read my manual thoroughly and can't find any settings that may be causing this, so I'm really hoping it isn't a camera malfunction. Thoughts?

Also, I am no longer able to set my ISO at 100. The lowest I can set it is 200.

With both of these issues, I welcome and greatly appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or similar experiences.

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 06, 2014 13:18 |  #2

Check your custom settings, and your focus mode (one shot, AI servo, etc)? Back button focus, or half press of the shutter?

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 06, 2014 13:19 |  #3

what AF mode are you in? should be set to single shot, not AI or Servo. Does it refocus when you recompose?

Not sure what you mean with the ISO question, you can or can't set it to 100?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2014 13:19 |  #4

Bet a nickel it's on AI Servo.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2014 13:20 |  #5

photoflurry wrote in post #16886174 (external link)
Also, I am no longer able to set my ISO at 100. The lowest I can set it is 100.

Well there's your problem. Try setting it to 100.

photoflurry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 13:29 |  #6

Sorry about the ISO thing - that was a typo on my part. I meant the lowest I can set it is 200.

Regarding the focus/recompose, this is happening with all of my lenses, at any camera settings. It's not on AI Servo. Focus/recompose doesn't work with back button OR half press of shutter button. I"ve tried everything, and guess I have to resign myself to the fact that this may be a camera malfunction. Can't be without my camera for as long as it will take to send it off for repairs, so I'm pretty stressing right now.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2014 13:33 |  #7

I don't have the 5D2, but I on my other bodies, there's a Custom Function called Highlight Tone Priority. Don't know exactly what it does, but it stops you from setting ISO lower than 200.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 06, 2014 13:34 |  #8

photoflurry wrote in post #16886218 (external link)
Sorry about the ISO thing - that was a typo on my part. I meant the lowest I can set it is 200.

Check the highlight tone priority setting. Consult the manual if you don't know where it is in the menu.

photoflurry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 13:37 |  #9

nathancarter wrote in post #16886221 (external link)
I don't have the 5D2, but I on my other bodies, there's a Custom Function called Highlight Tone Priority. Don't know exactly what it does, but it stops you from setting ISO lower than 200.

Thank you!! This worked!! Now if I could just figure out what's keeping me from being able to focus/recompose, I'll be all set!!

photoflurry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 13:39 |  #10

morph2_7 wrote in post #16886224 (external link)
Check the highlight tone priority setting. Consult the manual if you don't know where it is in the menu.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! This worked! Hoping the focus/recompose problem is as simple a fix!!

photoflurry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 13:48 |  #11

phantelope wrote in post #16886190 (external link)
what AF mode are you in? should be set to single shot, not AI or Servo. Does it refocus when you recompose?

Not sure what you mean with the ISO question, you can or can't set it to 100?

Sorry about the ISO thing - that was a typo on my part. I meant the lowest I can set it is 200. Just got that taken care of, luckily, it WAS the highlight tone priority setting.

Regarding the focus/recompose, this is happening with all of my lenses, at any camera settings. It's not on AI Servo. Focus/recompose doesn't work with back button OR half press of shutter button. I"ve tried everything, and guess I have to resign myself to the fact that this may be a camera malfunction. Can't be without my camera for as long as it will take to send it off for repairs, so I'm pretty stressing right now.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 06, 2014 14:26 |  #12

Are you on One Shot or AI Focus? Do you have the AF drive set to back button only, or back button and shutter half press?

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 06, 2014 14:37 |  #13

photoflurry wrote in post #16886174 (external link)
So I turned on the focal point setting so I could see during and after a shot where the focus had been. Any time I focus/recomposed, the focus was never on the original point of focus.

Just re-read this again- are you talking about the red box showing you where you were focused on the LCD or in DPP? It only lights up the focus point you used- it has no idea that after you focused, you moved the camera to recompose the scene.

Does your actual picture look out of focus? How you move the camera to recompose and your shot settings may be the cause. If you can post some examples, that would be helpful.

Sgt, ­ Mike
99 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 06, 2014 14:52 |  #14

photoflurry wrote in post #16886260 (external link)
Sorry about the ISO thing - that was a typo on my part. I meant the lowest I can set it is 200. Just got that taken care of, luckily, it WAS the highlight tone priority setting.

Sounds as if what you're experiencing could be simply the fact that when focus is achieved & the camera is re-composed the AF point visible on your replay shows it to be on the recomposed image. Even though you lock focus, then move the frame the AF indicator doesn't display accurately. It appears as if the focus has been done on the recomposed image, but focus is actually where it was originally locked.

7D, 5D III - 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135, 24-105 f/4L IS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 1.4x TC, Nifty Fifty

photoflurry
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 06, 2014 15:06 |  #15

Sgt, Mike wrote in post #16886394 (external link)
Sounds as if what you're experiencing could be simply the fact that when focus is achieved & the camera is re-composed the AF point visible on your replay shows it to be on the recomposed image. Even though you lock focus, then move the frame the AF indicator doesn't display accurately. It appears as if the focus has been done on the recomposed image, but focus is actually where it was originally locked.

I know, I was thinking that as well. But what makes me think otherwise is mainly the exposure issue. I take a lot of house photos, and windows obviously mess with exposure. So always before this, when a window fell directly in the center of my focus area, I'd just focus on an object near the window, then re-compose and shoot. The exposure would come out exposed for the object, not the window. That's not happening any more. I find myself in LOTS of situations where a window falls smack dab in the center of my shot, and naturally what happens is that the shot comes out waaaaaaayyyy underexposed. Literally black, except for the window.

This has never happened before, and now it is a constant problem. Driving me crazy. So I just keep thinking I'm missing something, but I just don't know what it is. And yes, shooting in manual mode solves the issue to a certain extent, but when I shoot houses, I really just need to get in and out quickly, and shooting in programmed auto as much as possible helps me do that. When I have to literally shoot every room and adjust my settings manually for each shot, it's just slowing me down.

sponsored links

2,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MkII can't focus/recompose
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.