Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 May 2014 (Thursday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

flashbender L vs XL

Job511
46 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 01, 2014 20:14 |  #1

Hello there,

Thinking of picking up the flashbender but unsure if there's much difference between L vs XL in terms of amount of light it will diffuse. Do I get more coverage because its XL?

Couldn't find much on the web about this or I am not looking in the right place :oops:

I do have a canon 430EX II, is it too small for flashbender XL? I know its heavy and only good if its off camera flash use instead of on camera.

Side question.... I was thinking about Yongnou 560 or 568 as a backup flash. I am getting lost in the short forms. HMM? not sure what this mean. My understanding is 560 is only manual flash where 568 has ETTL function if needed. Correct? Is 568 closer to Canon 600 flash in terms of function?

Thanks for your input :)

7D --- EFS 15-85, Sigma 35 art, EF 70-200 f4 L IS, EF 8-15 f4 L, EF 100 f2.8 L IS

sponsored links
shuttereye
324 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 01, 2014 20:34 |  #2

The XL will give you a larger light source so you will get a softer light. But at the relatively small size of the flashbender I don't think you will see much of a difference.

I went with an off brand and it is almost exactly the same (except it's all black instead of the blue on the back) and it's almost half the price of the rouge version
http://www.amazon.com …=8-5&keywords=flashbender (external link)

The YN560 is manual
The YN 568 is more (I don't know much about it I use the YN565s)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 02, 2014 00:51 |  #3

I have both Flashbenders and there really is little difference between them. Neither one is very useful once you get more than a few feet away from your subject unless you use it to fill while bouncing. But it's still handy and works better than a Stofen in open areas.

The YN565 has a battery port while the YN568 has HSS. The YN560 cannot have its level set by remote control using a YN622, which is why I don't own one. With the YN622 you can have manual or ETTL and remote control on the 565 and 568 - very versatile.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Job511
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 03, 2014 05:28 as a reply to  @ GregDunn's post |  #4

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go twitch L size for now. XL if I do get into home setup studio. With limited space, this may save some space vs soft box or umbrella type.

Didn't realize there's knock-off version. ( I should in this day and age...lol ). Is there a know off version of diffusion panel to go over it? If not would the name brand fit over it? Heard the panel creates much softer light. Is this correct?

With 7d, amd it's own flash unit, I should be able to control YN 568 as slave unit correct?
What is HSS?

Thanks

7D --- EFS 15-85, Sigma 35 art, EF 70-200 f4 L IS, EF 8-15 f4 L, EF 100 f2.8 L IS

Koz21
136 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 03, 2014 05:45 as a reply to  @ Job511's post |  #5

Keep in mind that the XL comes as a kit where you get the diffusion, silver and black panels and also the strip box attachment. On the LG size you don't get the silver panel or the strip box attachment and as far as I know you can only purchase the silver panel individually. So when adding these into play I would get the XL kit.

Here's a video that shows the XL in use:
http://vimeo.com/75806​518 (external link)

From the east side of the mitten!

Nonnit
361 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2012

May 03, 2014 06:10 as a reply to  @ Koz21's post |  #6

Flashbender is a tiny lightsource, get umbrella or softbox for home studio if you want soft light.

Softbox (gridded for more control) is better if you want more control where the light falls, like darker background.

The YN-560II is all manual and works fine for home studio.

The YN-568II has HSS and TTL, I use HSS all the time outside in bright light when I want shallow DOF.

Nonnit
5DMKIII // 70-200mm f2.8 L II // 35mm f2.0 IS // 50mm f1.4 // 85mm f1.8 // 100mm f2.8 Macro // 135mm f2.0 L // stuff
Film: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/souloffilm/ (external link)
Film: https://www.instagram.​com/souloffilm/ (external link)
Digital: http://nonnitryggva.is (external link) //

Nonnit
361 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2012

May 03, 2014 06:21 |  #7

Job511 wrote in post #16878916 (external link)
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go twitch L size for now. XL if I do get into home setup studio. With limited space, this may save some space vs soft box or umbrella type.

Didn't realize there's knock-off version. ( I should in this day and age...lol ). Is there a know off version of diffusion panel to go over it? If not would the name brand fit over it? Heard the panel creates much softer light. Is this correct?

With 7d, amd it's own flash unit, I should be able to control YN 568 as slave unit correct?
What is HSS?

Thanks

I have the 5DMII and it dosen´t have pop up flash, I use the YN-622c triggers, those work with HSS and TLL, I can also remote control both the 430EXII and YN568II from camera.

The YN-568II on camera can be master and remote control the 430EXII.

HHS is high speed sync, you can use any shutterspeed with the flash (but at reduced power)

1/8000s F/2.0 ISO100 with the Canon 135mm F/2 L:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5023/14021008684_9774b8e72c_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nmZk​p3  (external link) Kristbjörg (external link) by Nonnit (external link), on Flickr

Nonnit
5DMKIII // 70-200mm f2.8 L II // 35mm f2.0 IS // 50mm f1.4 // 85mm f1.8 // 100mm f2.8 Macro // 135mm f2.0 L // stuff
Film: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/souloffilm/ (external link)
Film: https://www.instagram.​com/souloffilm/ (external link)
Digital: http://nonnitryggva.is (external link) //

Job511
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 04, 2014 07:41 as a reply to  @ Nonnit's post |  #8

Thanks for the input.

Yes. flashbender XL definitely is more versatile with strip box function. Is it too heavy for say Canon 430 flash? or more stable with Canon 600 or Yongnou 568?

Mainly getting this as a portable gear (will be shooting a friend's wedding 2rd shooter, non paid gig) . Being an amateur and limited space @ home, not sure if actual softbox is ideal for my situation, other wise would be my preferred route.

Any other users for flashbender XL out there??

Cramden
37 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2014 10:20 |  #9

Here's some info for you. Read Customer reviews.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e_flashbender_x​l_pro.html (external link)

Koz21
136 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 04, 2014 11:25 as a reply to  @ Cramden's post |  #10

Have you watched any Rogue Flashbender reviews by Frank Doorhof?

http://m.youtube.com/w​atch?v=hjL7mO25WLo (external link)
http://m.youtube.com/w​atch?v=Qa9709Ex8nY (external link)
http://m.youtube.com/w​atch?v=vQy9Lq6TgU8 (external link)

Koz21
136 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 04, 2014 11:54 |  #11

Job511 wrote in post #16880860 (external link)
Thanks for the input.

Yes. flashbender XL definitely is more versatile with strip box function. Is it too heavy for say Canon 430 flash? or more stable with Canon 600 or Yongnou 568?

Mainly getting this as a portable gear (will be shooting a friend's wedding 2rd shooter, non paid gig) . Being an amateur and limited space @ home, not sure if actual softbox is ideal for my situation, other wise would be my preferred route.

Any other users for flashbender XL out there??

Reverse the flash so that it bends into the flashbender, this helps with the weight. Agreed, the flashbenders are heavy material but I have used them with YN-560's and now with 600EX-RT's. As others have mentioned they are meant to be used close to subject and primarily I would say mid shoulder to head is the range. Research photographer Bob Harrington, he uses the Flashbender often with indoor & outdoor shoots.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2014 21:03 |  #12

Personally, I see very little different in direct flash and the flash bender. All the examples I've seen look too much like direct flash.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 06, 2014 21:05 |  #13

Nonnit wrote in post #16878949 (external link)
Flashbender is a tiny lightsource, get umbrella or softbox for home studio if you want soft light.

Softbox (gridded for more control) is better if you want more control where the light falls, like darker background.

The YN-560II is all manual and works fine for home studio.

The YN-568II has HSS and TTL, I use HSS all the time outside in bright light when I want shallow DOF.

Exactly. Such a tiny light source looks no different than direct flash.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 07, 2014 23:40 |  #14

Dear JOB511,

I see by your OP inquiry date & others posting entry dates, that I am late to the party on this one...

If I were to purchase only one Flashbender I would chose the L(Large), rather than the XL (extra-Large); a slight tradeoff for the L’s more compactness, without giving up too much of the added benefit of the XL’s more wrap around light effect (e.g. what I would call an “octabox” light distribution effect) & slightly softer light quality in the XL than the L .
If I had a 430EX, I would get the L.
L- if applications & or subjects are dynamic with changing areas within a location.;such as events or weddings etc., or want a quick & easy yet quality portrait - easy to stuff its 11" fabric length in a camera bag or waist-belt system.
XL- if applications & subjects are static AND you don't mind "hauling" the 16" long fabric.
Apply the 80/20 rule - to what you will be using it for 80% of the time.

As I have found with any photography gear: if it’s compact & easy – it gets utilized!!!
[ask any tripod owner who likely bought based on specs rather than practical use. Yes I admit going down that iterative process too, Manfrotto, then Gitzo (thinking it was the panacea), only to discover that I like Sirui the best for performance/weight tradeoff for my applications].

When the Rogue Flashbender was introduced to the market a few years ago, I initially before using/testing prejudged (unfairly), and initially categorized it as just another gimmicky product idea that many that have littered the photography market over the decades. Incorrectly thinking small product = small harsh light right? However, once I tried/purchased one shortly after around the time the product was introduced (hoping to solve my need for an effective & soft yet compact speedlight modifiers), I quickly changed my mind – yes, a paradigm shift!

I happily find the Rogue FlashBender’s (& also Rogue Grids) hallmark features of compact & light-weight effectively convenient; especially for location applications (& for occasional location applications via air-travel). The Rogue FlashBender’s satisfy 2 (QUALITY & DIRECTION) of the 3 elements to photography lighting: QUALITY, DIRECTION & color.

Properly & creatively applied, I find it enables the art AND the science of photography/lighting.
I LOVE the FlashBenders!!!
(I extensively use the Large; in contrast to the XL which only use selectively, due to its size relative to my 6-600EX-RT's size, only have two XL’s folded narrowly for out-of-studio quick strip boxes, to create on occasion, selected drama in a desired image. As KOZ21 kindly pointed out with the XL, I too reverse the speedlight).

Sometimes less is more… (the world isn’t flat – only the Rogue FlashBender is). Just saying… there is sometimes a great view once one dares to look over the edge.
No right or wrong, everyone has to decide what tools work best for one’s own INDIVIDUAL style and INDIVIDUAL photographer market differentiator.

Just one view…
Good luck in whatever light modifier you use.

Mary
(P.S. No I didn’t drink the Rogue kool-aid, I prefer water).

MARY

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 08, 2014 00:38 |  #15

for off camera work i would get XL

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

sponsored links

7,573 views & 0 likes for this thread
flashbender L vs XL
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.