Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 May 2014 (Tuesday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick landscape shot

stagetaken
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2013

May 06, 2014 16:06 |  #1

Hi All, went out for a walk over the weekend, took this, whats good, whats bad? Thanks (took a screenshot instead of exporting the photo so its not too big to upload)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D III | 16-35L | 24-105L
Website (external link) Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 06, 2014 19:04 |  #2

Kind of empty...

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

dang_shots
21 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2013

May 06, 2014 20:04 |  #3

I like the emptiness you are giving from the photograph, maybe try re shooting it with a longer lens and frame up them trees in the
middle, I'm absolutely loving them trees. Have a play around long exposure could even work very well.
Also watch out for the horizon line being dead center.

Or if you want to just work with this have a play around with crops. I would crop up from the bottom as its very distracting, and in a little on both sides.
Make sure you post the finished product.

Regards Dan

Nikon D800, D90, Rollei SL66, Bronica ETR SI
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dangoodrich/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/DanGoodrichPhotogra​pher (external link)
http://instagram.com/d​ang_shots (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 06, 2014 22:28 |  #4

Not worth the edit/crop..as Amanda has said, there is no content. What could be, is too far away.

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 06, 2014 22:40 |  #5

I agree with a lot of what Dan said above. With most landscape shots, avoid putting the horizon in the dead center of the frame.

I like the line of trees in the background and how clear/blue the water is and how it matches the sky. I would recommend coming back with a longer lens and concentrating on those trees in the background.

The current shot as it is isn't worth the edit, but the location has potential.

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 00:03 |  #6

Thanks guys will head back down at the weekend and try using my 70-200, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it

Website (external link) Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

May 07, 2014 00:14 as a reply to  @ Keith_D's post |  #7

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's maybe not completely a loss - certainly requires some heavy cropping, but with treatment of some gradient filters and a little tweaking, I came up with an image that's interesting - at least to me. You don't have Image Editting OK checked in your signature, so I won't post what I came up with, but let me know if you want a look at it. Not a stellar landscape shot, but might be something to salvage. Be curious what the full resolution file would look like... :cool:

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 01:16 |  #8

BigLobowski wrote in post #16887494 (external link)
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's maybe not completely a loss - certainly requires some heavy cropping, but with treatment of some gradient filters and a little tweaking, I came up with an image that's interesting - at least to me. You don't have Image Editting OK checked in your signature, so I won't post what I came up with, but let me know if you want a look at it. Not a stellar landscape shot, but might be something to salvage. Be curious what the full resolution file would look like... :cool:

Please post! I've wondered what they mean, so if you have image editing ok then you don't mind people editing your images?

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 07, 2014 01:55 |  #9

jakesaunders27 wrote in post #16887558 (external link)
Please post! I've wondered what they mean, so if you have image editing ok then you don't mind people editing your images?

That's correct! So, like I said, not a stellar shot and maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't mind the isolated look of the distant tree line, and wondered how it would look if it was a little more isolated. Tough to get a quality image out of the jpeg posted, but have a go at cropping the original a bit and play with your gradients, contrasts etc. I'm unfamiliar with Aperture, but it's fairly well used so I would assume it has similar features to LR. Some minor adjustments can certainly change an appearance a bit:

Original:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5533/14147888603_105e5994b9_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nycC​nR  (external link) Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 22.03.12 (external link) by GreyStoke Photography (external link), on Flickr

With bird:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/14127823465_d32eac4844_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nwqM​Hc  (external link) Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 22.03.12-1 (external link) by GreyStoke Photography (external link), on Flickr

Without bird:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5315/13941180447_2ffdc70440_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/neWc​f8  (external link) Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 22.03.12-1-2 (external link) by GreyStoke Photography (external link), on Flickr

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 02:08 |  #10

Wow thats amazing! I will have a mess around in the bit, heres the original RAW file if you wanted to mess around with it, thanks again!

https://www.dropbox.co​m …zcxpi9/%3Cuntit​led%3E.CR2 (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 07, 2014 02:25 as a reply to  @ BigLobowski's post |  #11

Nice job.

That definitely looks more balanced and clean.

There's just one thing I have to talk about...why you put the horizon line on the lower third?

And yeah, I know..."rule of thirds". I'm not saying that you were gonna say that, but SOMEONE was gonna come in and say that. My only thing is...you've made the sky mirror the water. There's like, NOTHING there except those two things with a dividing horizon/treeline separating them. There is a symmetry at play here. By placing the horizon at the third (rather than half) mark, you have sort of broken that symmetry and assigned the sky as being more important than the water.

Was there a thematic reason for that desicion, or was that just more following the rules of thirds?

And don't get me wrong...that edit looks really freaking good. Definitely an improvement on the original. I'm just saying that you've made the bottom mirror the top, with the horizon as a divider. And the sky being dominant definitely says SOMETHING.

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 02:33 as a reply to  @ Clean Gene's post |  #12

Could someone who uses Aperture explain how to use brushes to do gradients as from what I have read quickly now, Aperture can only do gradients by using brushes, I think that alone is enough to make me switch to Lightroom :)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 07, 2014 02:36 |  #13

Clean Gene wrote in post #16887617 (external link)
Nice job.

That definitely looks more balanced and clean.

There's just one thing I have to talk about...why you put the horizon line on the lower third?

And yeah, I know..."rule of thirds". I'm not saying that you were gonna say that, but SOMEONE was gonna come in and say that. My only thing is...you've made the sky mirror the water. There's like, NOTHING there except those two things with a dividing horizon/treeline separating them. There is a symmetry at play here. By placing the horizon at the third (rather than half) mark, you have sort of broken that symmetry and assigned the sky as being more important than the water.

Was there a thematic reason for that desicion, or was that just more following the rules of thirds?

And don't get me wrong...that edit looks really freaking good. Definitely an improvement on the original. I'm just saying that you've made the bottom mirror the top, with the horizon as a divider. And the sky being dominant definitely says SOMETHING.

Thanks, and actually, the only reason it worked out like that was because the lower portion of the original was cluttered with twigs/weeds and rocks. I just liked the cleaner look, and that required cropping it out resulting in the off center horizon - which conveniently follows the good old rule of thirds. :cool:

- Ken

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 10:10 |  #14

Had a quick go with Lightroom not perfect but better than it was. Thanks BigLobowski for editing it originally gave me inspiration! Not sure if mine is a bit dark

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

stagetaken
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 07, 2014 10:11 |  #15

Argh why do forums not allow high quality files that looks shocking!

sponsored links

2,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick landscape shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.