Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2014 (Monday) 03:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Inspector

konstantinpavlikhin
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 16, 2014 03:25 |  #16

chrisinont wrote in post #16836586 (external link)
I take it that it doesn't work with the ipads.

Of course it doesn't work with the iPads, it's an app for the Mac OS X 😇.

DwainRowe wrote in post #16836992 (external link)
Seriously, how would you connect the DSLR to the iPad? Wirelessly?

I guess there are two potential ways to make it work. First is the exactly the way you propose — Wi-Fi, but it will work only with the limited set of Wi-Fi-capable cameras like 5D mark III, 6D and 70D. Too limited to put effort into it. I have no experience with externally-attached Wi-Fi handles, so I cannot speak for other EOS models. Second, we can try to connect camera to iPad with a standard USB cable via Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (external link). I am not sure that either of these methods could produce a PTP-connection to the camera, that is required for the app to «speak» with it.

Does anybody of you guys think it is a good idea to have this app ported to the iOS?

ShutterCheck (external link) for Mac — Check Shutter Count of Your Canon EOS Camera.

sponsored links
chrisinont
155 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 16, 2014 09:57 |  #17

DwainRowe wrote in post #16836992 (external link)
Seriously, how would you connect the DSLR to the iPad? Wirelessly?

Seriously, if you did some research before spouting off, you would realize that you can indeed connect a DSLR to an ipad using the lightning to usb connector. I download pictures to my ipad all the time. Whether it will work for the app is another question. That is something for the designer of the app to work on, if he so choses.

cheffievrs
561 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2014 12:47 |  #18

Brilliant little app :)

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2014 15:06 |  #19

chrisinont wrote in post #16838053 (external link)
Seriously, if you did some research before spouting off, you would realize that you can indeed connect a DSLR to an ipad using the lightning to usb connector. I download pictures to my ipad all the time. Whether it will work for the app is another question. That is something for the designer of the app to work on, if he so choses.

Which is why I said "seriously" as in, "I have a serious question... How would you connect the camera to your iPad in that case?"

You have apparently leaped to the conclusion that I had ill intent.

It would do you well to consider that someone might be devoid of ill intent when asking a simple question before you "spout off" in reply.

Dwain

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 08, 2014 16:01 |  #20

Nice work Konstantin, tested flawlessly with a Rebel XSi, 50D, and 60D.

Joel

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by EOS-Mike.

Apr 19, 2017 10:35 |  #21

Bumping this to the top to help others.

It works. I just downloaded it to a Mac desktop and it immediately recognized the camera model, serial number, battery level, number of shots available on the sd card, and most importantly, the number of shutter activations. In the case of my 6D, 45,000 (had it for about three years).

The app is only two dollars. Definitely useful and worth it.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

mcoren
633 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 20, 2017 21:25 |  #22

About two years ago, I did a search for what apps people were using to read the shutter count. I came across one discussion--I don’t remember if it was on PON or someplace else--where somebody was telling about how you could do it all for free by just installing such-and-such a package and setting up these parameters in the MacOS X shell and... It seemed crazy to jump through all of these hoops just to save $2 on a turn-key app. Especially considering this is a user community where people think nothing of dropping $1500 or more on a new lens that provides only incremental improvements over what they already have!

Anyway, at that time I purchased a different app, and to be honest I haven’t thought about it since because it’s not the sort of thing I need to know all that often (I was getting ready to sell my T2i and wanted to know the shutter count so I probably used that app once). However, when I just saw this thread, I went ahead to the app store and downloaded Konstantin’s app for the following reasons.

First, I have to give a lot of credit to Konstantin for posting to this thread and identifying himself as the author of this app. With a technical group of users like this, you could open yourself up to a lot more grief than $2 worth if somebody isn’t satisfied. It’s too easy these days for developers to hide behind a “Contact” page on a web site.

Second, nobody is getting rich selling $2 apps. Developers like Konstantin do what they do because they enjoy it and get satisfaction out of seeing their finished product. Sounds a lot like why many of us got started in photography! People like Konstantin who understand cameras and app development, and are willing to take the time to bring the two together give us all additional tools to help us do what we love.

So anyway, thank you Konstantin!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 21, 2017 07:01 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #23

I agree ^^.

I don't know if I'll ever use the app again, but it was nice to know in case I decide to sell it someday (my 6D). I doubt I will. I'm thinking of picking up a second one. But I really didn't know if I had much life left in this one, and it looks like I do. The shutter rating for the 6D is, I believe, 100,000, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was at 45k. That's still a lot, but it let me have a little comfort (even though the shutter could go at any time). I love my 6D. It's hard to believe it's still one of the leaders in the full frame category when it's nearing the five-year mark.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

konstantinpavlikhin
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by konstantinpavlikhin.

Apr 19, 2018 02:50 |  #24

Greetings to all of the POTN users!

Konstantin, the developer of EOS Inspector app for Mac here.

It’s been a long time since the initial release of the EOS Inspector. Back then most of the relevant Canon EOS cameras were supported, the app was working as intended and helped numerous people around the world to estimate health of their cameras. But things have changed. Canon has made some changes to their newer devices that rendered useless the method that EOS Inspector used for getting a shutter actuations count.

I’ve spent last months reverse engineering modern EOS cameras and made a new EOS Inspector (v2) that works more in a way the factory software does. The app was re-implemented from scratch and now supports shutter information retrieval from all of the modern Canon EOS cameras like 1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV and 5Ds.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It’s still in beta stage, there is a lot of testing to do, but I think you guys may be interested in trying it first. Here is the page where you be able to download the latest beta version for free:
http://eosinspectorapp​.com/beta (external link)

I would appreciate any feedback about the app: bugs, camera compatibility issues, feature suggestions and so on. I am listening! Please share your experience with me so I can make EOS Inspector a better app for everyone.

Thank you!

ShutterCheck (external link) for Mac — Check Shutter Count of Your Canon EOS Camera.

konstantinpavlikhin
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 08, 2018 09:55 |  #25

I am happy to let you know that all-new EOS Inspector (external link) is finally available on the Mac App Store! The app is much more robust now and supports shutter count reading from all of the recent Canon EOS cameras like 1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV and 5Ds (older models are still supported though). If you already have EOS Inspector on your Mac, simply update to the latest version, the v2 update is completely free.

Detailed information about camera compatibility (external link) is available on the EOS Inspector tech specs page.

sponsored links

12,509 views & 7 likes for this thread
EOS Inspector
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.