Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 May 2014 (Wednesday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5's Smugmug Plugin

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 07, 2014 20:14 |  #1

Each time I create a new catalog in LR5, I have to reauthorize Smugmug's plugin in order to upload files to the site? Anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a way to not have to authorize the plugin each time you create a new catalog?

Reginald D. Walton | GEAR | Smugmugexternal link

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2014 08:26 |  #2

LR is designed to work optimally with only one catalogue. The idea is that you have all your images avilable to you in one place. Then you use Collections and Smart Collections to organise your images. The advantage then is that you can have the same image, with the same edits (although Virtual Copies also allow different edits) sorted several different ways. For example suppose you have an image of a family member at the zoo with a Camel. Using keywords and smart collections you could find the same image in the Family collection (sub collections for each member of the family are also possible). The image would also be in the Zoo collection and maybe also one for Camels. This only works within a single catalogue.

When you change catalogues in LR the program has to close and reopen with the new catalogue file. The information for linking to external sites like Smug Mug or Flickr are actually stored as part of the catalogue, not in the main program options, as they are also either collections or Smart Collections.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

rdwalton
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2014 08:32 |  #3

BigAl007 wrote in post #16890181 (external link)
LR is designed to work optimally with only one catalogue. The idea is that you have all your images avilable to you in one place. Then you use Collections and Smart Collections to organise your images. The advantage then is that you can have the same image, with the same edits (although Virtual Copies also allow different edits) sorted several different ways. For example suppose you have an image of a family member at the zoo with a Camel. Using keywords and smart collections you could find the same image in the Family collection (sub collections for each member of the family are also possible). The image would also be in the Zoo collection and maybe also one for Camels. This only works within a single catalogue.

When you change catalogues in LR the program has to close and reopen with the new catalogue file. The information for linking to external sites like Smug Mug or Flickr are actually stored as part of the catalogue, not in the main program options, as they are also either collections or Smart Collections.

Alan

Ahh, makes sense, thanks. Problem for me is that I don't keep the catalogs once I've edited and uploaded my pics, I usually just delete the catalog and start with a new one each time. I might have to change that.

Thanks again for the info.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2014 12:14 |  #4

I do not understand why you would do this. Are you deleting your RAW files too? IMO that would be a really bad idea. LR is designed to be both an Image management system, as well as a RAW conversion and output processing system all with a single integrated interface. Although the catalogue file can become quite large, if you have a couple of hundred thousand images. My catalogue has over 23500 images, including RAW's, shots that were shot on PnS cameras in JPEG, PSD files from images that were exported to PS, various virtual copies and Proof VC's for prints etc. The catalogue is around 6 Gb in size, but that is only around 262 Kb of data for each image. That includes all the exif data, keywords, location of original files, edit data and the other database overheads, which given the ease with which I can now find any of those images by around 100 different sort options is pretty good going. The almost auto upload of images to my Flickr, that leaves no unneeded files on the computer. A brilliant print module that once you have taken the time to figure out is much better than what is available in PS. The geotagging module is quite easy to use too, even if your images are not tagged automatically, especially if you have been shooting in and around one specific location. The Web gallery and Slideshow modules are very good too, the web one is great if you have your own hosting and need to produce web galleries for it. I don't really use them myself very much but have had a play to learn the basic functionality. All of this is icing on the cake though of a really good DAM system married to one of the best RAW converters available, well at least since LR4 came out.

Alan

rdwalton
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2014 12:24 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #5

Well, I don't delete my RAW files, I keep them in their own folder (based on the shoot). Once I decide which images I keep, I then edit them in LR and store the RAW files. I also keep the JPEG or TIFF version of the pics in a separate folder.

I do use LR to upload them to Smugmug and Flickr, just haven't been keeping the catalogs. I suppose that would be a good idea; I just wouldn't want the catalog to become too large and cumbersome.

I might give it a shot this weekend and just import all my pics into one catalog and go from there and see how it goes. If I don't like that process, I can always delete the catalog or just create a separate catalog for each shoot like I do now. :)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2014 14:07 |  #6

I started with multiple catalogues but realised that it was a waste of effort, it is annoying having to close and open LR each time you want to change catalogue. It was also much harder to combine all of the different catalogues than it would have been to do things in an optimised way. I now use LR for all of my photographic work and only generate output files when needed for a specific purpose.

I do have two exceptions to this. I do some voluntary work with a youth group. Because of the rules they have on images I keep all the images I take of their activities on an external drive along with it's own catalogue. It's supposed to be on CD's but even with a 20D that's not going to work for RAW files, and the external disk is I think close enough. My other exception is when doing Web/Print Design using other Adobe CS products. Then I have to use Bridge as LR cannot handle the other necessary file formats.

Alan

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 08, 2014 16:19 |  #7

rdwalton wrote in post #16890682 (external link)
Well, I don't delete my RAW files, I keep them in their own folder (based on the shoot). Once I decide which images I keep, I then edit them in LR and store the RAW files. I also keep the JPEG or TIFF version of the pics in a separate folder.

I do use LR to upload them to Smugmug and Flickr, just haven't been keeping the catalogs. I suppose that would be a good idea; I just wouldn't want the catalog to become too large and cumbersome.

I might give it a shot this weekend and just import all my pics into one catalog and go from there and see how it goes. If I don't like that process, I can always delete the catalog or just create a separate catalog for each shoot like I do now. :)

I only have one catalog, to me it's the most efficient way of keeping, organizing, and "going back" to things. For example, over the past couple of days a FaceBook group I'm active in had a "theme day" for photos with "silhouettes", not something I tend to do, but I found myself grabbing shots that go back a number of years and posting them, something that having one "Library" catalog in LR made quite workable!

However, note that photography is to me a "hobby", I don't do professional "shoots" that I process, output to clients, and then move on with no interest in "re-visiting" things. So, photos that I took 5 years ago are as important as the ones that I may take today (or often even more important!)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

rdwalton
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2014 16:29 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #8

I agree and I'm just an amateur but I do shoot for people and events at certain times. I keep all my pics in a separate folder for that particular event. I still don't like the idea of having "All" my pics in one catalog, although I know the pics themselves are safe, but that it would just get too big to manage.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 08, 2014 16:34 |  #9

rdwalton wrote in post #16890188 (external link)
Problem for me is that I don't keep the catalogs once I've edited and uploaded my pics, I usually just delete the catalog and start with a new one each time. I might have to change that.

My jaw dropped when I read this - it is totally opposite to how Lightroom is designed to be used.

I personally find one of the strengths with Lightroom is the ability to go back to older material and re-edit without having to re-import, etc. I know it's helped me as my post-processing skills have gotten better.

Or even just to go over an event that I've shot previously to refresh my memory on what gear and settings were used.

Joel

rdwalton
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2014 16:44 |  #10

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16891191 (external link)
My jaw dropped when I read this - it is totally opposite to how Lightroom is designed to be used.

I personally find one of the strengths with Lightroom is the ability to go back to older material and re-edit without having to re-import, etc. I know it's helped me as my post-processing skills have gotten better.

Or even just to go over an event that I've shot previously to refresh my memory on what gear and settings were used.

I rarely have to go back and re-edit. Most of my edits are saved off as a jpeg in it's own folder. If for some reason I want to reedit something, I just re-import the files. Hasn't been a big issue for me since I keep the RAW files in their own folder as well. I think what I decided to do after all of this is just create a separate catalog for each shoot.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 08, 2014 17:45 |  #11

rdwalton wrote in post #16891206 (external link)
I rarely have to go back and re-edit. Most of my edits are saved off as a jpeg in it's own folder. If for some reason I want to reedit something, I just re-import the files. Hasn't been a big issue for me since I keep the RAW files in their own folder as well. I think what I decided to do after all of this is just create a separate catalog for each shoot.

Well, whatever "floats your boat", the good news is that there are a variety of ways to approach things, typically the options are all "good", the only time something is a "bad" choice is when we do something "destructive", which goes contrary to the Lightroom/non-destructive workflow. But taking the good options available, do what you'd like, it's your choice!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

rdwalton
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2014 17:48 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #12

Agreed, and the way I do it is also not destructive. I still maintain my original RAW files, so I'm good at this point. Thanks.

sponsored links

1,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5's Smugmug Plugin
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.