Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 May 2014 (Thursday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bluebells

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 06, 2014 07:09 |  #16

While there are obviously some purists posting that the flare is "wrong" I happen to like it in this image - it adds some interest for me.

Tho the bit of color it added dead center would be something I would remove.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links
Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 07, 2014 01:28 |  #17

planet5D wrote in post #16885466 (external link)
While there are obviously some purists posting that the flare is "wrong" I happen to like it in this image - it adds some interest for me.

Tho the bit of color it added dead center would be something I would remove.

How do you feel about the image that doesn't have the flare added? Do you think that's a good image too? Or do you think that the lens flare saved the image?

And that's not a rhetorical question, I'm truly interested in what your answer is.

See, here's my thought process on this. I see some people saying that adding the flare is just polishing a turd. I see some people saying that the flare is obnoxious. I see some people saying that they like the flare.

But I'm still not entirely sure what most people are really saying (aside from the guy who thinks it's just polishing a turd). Is the flare good in that it's the one thing saving an otherwise boring and mediocre image? Or is the flare something that makes a good image even better?

See...I liked the IDEA of the flare, I just thought it looked fake and that that fakeness contrasted with the natural stuff going on. That's really my entire reason for asking to see the original. Normally I wouldn't ask. The image should be judged on the image, yadda yadda yadda. But I don't know, I just got the impression that this was a desperate attempt to save a photoghaph, so I wanted to see a point of comparison.

After seeing comparisons, I don't think either is a "turd". But I think the image just kind of lacks impact. It looks okay. If anything, I think I'd prefer the original (I also sort of think the flare looks kind of "obnoxious"). But hell...this is really just coming off as a desperate attempt to save a photograph that needs to get cut. I'm probably very wrong about that, but that was my first impression and it's why I asked in the first plce.

Can the photographer shed some light into his/her thought process and why he/she added the flare? Was that a case of seeing a great photograph and then having an idea on how to make it better? Or was it a case of being disappointed with a photograph and then trying to salvage it? What exactly was the reason for that decision?

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 07, 2014 06:58 |  #18

Clean Gene wrote in post #16887567 (external link)
How do you feel about the image that doesn't have the flare added? Do you think that's a good image too? Or do you think that the lens flare saved the image?

And that's not a rhetorical question, I'm truly interested in what your answer is.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best nature photo ever, I'd rate the shot with the flare a 4 or 5 and the SOC a 2 (granted if it were fixed up a bit like the first image, it would come up a point or two)

In my opinion, without the flare, the image is a bit boring, so yes, the flare 'saved' the image.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

thetathink
194 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2014 14:53 |  #19

The flare looks pretty fake to me, maybe try shifting the color from pink at the source to something more yellow/white to match the sun.

portfolio (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 09, 2014 00:49 |  #20

planet5D wrote in post #16887850 (external link)
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best nature photo ever, I'd rate the shot with the flare a 4 or 5 and the SOC a 2 (granted if it were fixed up a bit like the first image, it would come up a point or two)

In my opinion, without the flare, the image is a bit boring, so yes, the flare 'saved' the image.

Fair enough, but I don't see a lot of difference between a 3 out of 10 and a 4 or 5 out of 10. Even if I didn't think the flare looked fake (which I do, but that could conceivably be improved), I just don't think it's enough to "save" an image that was already sort of lacking in interest.

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

May 09, 2014 00:52 |  #21

The pinkish sun flare is a little over powering, but the flares on the bottom give it some pop.

Some cameras, some lenses

Bristol_James
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2013

May 11, 2014 11:29 as a reply to  @ p00kienrayray's post |  #22

Sorry I have been away for the last week and not been able to reply.

Good to see, if anything, the image has prompted some healthy discussion. In all honesty, I added the flare as I watched a youtube video from phlearn.com showing how to add the flare in photoshop on a new layer such that it can then be adjusted rather than the entire image (https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=aVGxwlqpG5E (external link)) This image was one I had taken recently and I thought the flare would not look out of place. As such I wasn't really adding the flare as I felt the photo needed it, but because I wanted the practice. I was reasonably happy with the final product and thought I would share it to get some constructive criticism on both the flare and the composition.

For completeness I have added the "pre-Flare" edited photo and also the layer that contained the flare. The crop is not quite the same as the OP.

Thanks for all the comments.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/13974613778_0dbc596fcf_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nhTx​NS  (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5573/14158464492_c858b2c70b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nz8Q​dL  (external link)

Flickr - Bristol_James (external link)

sponsored links

2,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bluebells
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.