Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 May 2014 (Monday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Coming Clean

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 06, 2014 17:23 |  #31

I actually do this often. I have a 7D and the custom user setting for C1 on the dial is set to small jpeg for use when I'm doing "brenizer" type stitch shots. I carry my camera on a sling strap and several times now I've been on a portrait shoot and discovered after several shots that at some point, the camera had bounced on my leg and rotatedthe dial to C1 and all I have are small jpegs of the shots I did! So then I have to go back and reshoot the shots in full res raw. ERGH! I have considered sending the camera in for the locking dial modification that Canon offers for $100 but I keep expecting the 7D2 to come out and want to see if I'm going to upgrade or not first.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 06, 2014 17:37 |  #32

I once drove 40 miles to photograph a particular landscape near sun set and realized I had no memory cards in my kit..

I had rearranged my camera bag and inadvertently left the cards on my desk instead of putting them back in the pocket that I normally store them in.. The card that should have been in the camera was sitting at home plugged in to my card reader..

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 06, 2014 18:03 |  #33

My first shot with my (then) new 600 F4 L IS was taken hand held. All settings were correct - except one! I had left the 10 second shutter timer on - got the shot but my arms weren't happy!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,982 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 07, 2014 05:54 |  #34

Keep forgetting to switch "on" and "off" the Image Stabilisation when going tripod and back to hand held. AF and MF switch same thing...

The funniest thing I have ever seen was about 50 years ago when a lady was trying to shoot her children in a swimming pool with a 8mm film camera - basic model. Instead of looking through the view finder she looked through the lens and was trying to focus on the kids with the view finder...
This memory inspired me to always make sure I know how the gear I use works....

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 07, 2014 08:14 |  #35

kfreels wrote in post #16886736 (external link)
I actually do this often. I have a 7D and the custom user setting for C1 on the dial is set to small jpeg for use when I'm doing "brenizer" type stitch shots. I carry my camera on a sling strap and several times now I've been on a portrait shoot and discovered after several shots that at some point, the camera had bounced on my leg and rotatedthe dial to C1 and all I have are small jpegs of the shots I did! So then I have to go back and reshoot the shots in full res raw. ERGH! I have considered sending the camera in for the locking dial modification that Canon offers for $100 but I keep expecting the 7D2 to come out and want to see if I'm going to upgrade or not first.

Hehe, something similar
Hiked for a day to crest a rather large hill, lugging cam and tripod.
Took a whole panorama worth of shots, got home to find I had left bracketing on!

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 07, 2014 12:02 |  #36

How about this: You are shooting an event and after about 30 pictures (that you can never get again), you notice your AF/M switch on the lens is set to M.
Fortunately, I was second photographer, and the Primary had pics of the same.

After that I created a "sort of" checklist. You know like a pilot does before taking his plane into the air. So now it is: Lens switches - check, mode switch - check, ISO - check, Exposure method - check, AF points - check.............you get the idea.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 07, 2014 14:03 |  #37

Bring camera, tripod, go to a location and realize I forgot to bring the quick release plate. Argggggh.

Now I just make sure to either attach it first if not bring the whole bag.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 09, 2014 00:20 |  #38

A few times I've gone to do a major shoot, and three goof-ups that can spoil your day, especially if you are not fairly near to your home base/gear:

1) As others have shared, I also have at least once left my memory card at home in a card reader,

and then...

2) Discovering that I had neglected to bring a back-up card, not just for the above, but for a "serious" event that can fill up your primary card half-way through the shoot!

3) Failing to bring a back-up battery, either because you again use up the primary battery in the middle of the shoot, but worse because you failed to charge your primary battery after the last shoot!

Aside from those, sure, little things like forgetting to change a setting, but they can be discovered and corrected without ruining your whole day:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Roshan
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 09, 2014 02:16 as a reply to  @ post 16883696 |  #39

Shot part of a portrait session in fine jpeg mode, until I noticed the available shots on the card on top lcd.

Geejay
793 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 09, 2014 02:46 |  #40

All of the above... :-(

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 09, 2014 05:25 |  #41

Geejay wrote in post #16892090 (external link)
All of the above... :-(

Hehe.
Oh Geejay, what can we say? ;) :)

Rabid
78 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2014 07:28 |  #42

Took a class that had me change exposure settings and white balance. Then went to a mountain top restaurant and took a bunch of pictures of the scenery. That is the day that my cousins' point and shoot cameras did SOOOOOooooo much better than my 5Diii. :oops:

I might have noticed but the sun was so bright that day I could not use the LCD to preview.

If you want my expert opinion ask me about synthesizers. If you want my professional opinion ask me about computers. If you want an amateurish but enthusiastic opinion ask me about cameras.

Canon ­ Amateur
296 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 09, 2014 07:30 |  #43

Leaving the camerabag open and shifting the bag aside.
Seeing the lens slide out of the camerabag and steadily falling on concrete.

Having a grip so i can shoot all day without changing batteries and find out all batteries are at home.

Having the perfect shot in the viewfinder and about to push the button and having another person jumping before me to get the same shot.

Fiddeling around with high ISO, jpg only and slow shutterspeed the other day (evening) and using the same settings the next day shooting soccer at 14:00 hour.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS 5D3 / Canon EOS 7D / Lytro illum

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 09, 2014 09:26 |  #44

Canon Amateur wrote in post #16892301 (external link)
Leaving the camerabag open and shifting the bag aside.
Seeing the lens slide out of the camerabag and steadily falling on concrete.

Yeah. Did this with my Sigma 70-200 OS onto a hardwood floor from about 5 ft off the ground. Knocked the OS out of whack. Fortunately Sigm fixed it for free and sent it back despite my note in the box that I had dropped it. :D

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 09, 2014 09:46 |  #45

Setting up a peach of a sunset shot. Got the camera, got a sweet lens, cable release, sturdy tripod, great location. Problem with a 1D3? The screen is worse than awful so it can't show you when you forgot to pick a focus point. All shots softer than a flaccid member.

sponsored links

8,952 views & 0 likes for this thread
Coming Clean
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.