Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

zyndurai
808 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 08, 2014 21:35 |  #3871

Here's a couple town:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2917/14136065022_7d0e9f0580_b.jpg

Ceasar Chavez Park
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/13933170109_5f071f919b_b.jpg

My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 08, 2014 23:16 |  #3872

CRCchemist wrote in post #16891579 (external link)
No, only have the 400 2.8

darn. Heard that might be a good lens but way out of my price point. Although I do want to do more sports photography if possible, just need to somehow get access to places. I'm trying maxpreps but they don't like my images, I just need to become a better photographer some how.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 09, 2014 02:04 |  #3873

disneydork06 wrote in post #16891895 (external link)
darn. Heard that might be a good lens but way out of my price point. Although I do want to do more sports photography if possible, just need to somehow get access to places. I'm trying maxpreps but they don't like my images, I just need to become a better photographer some how.

Maxpreps has a terrible reputation because most of the photographers they bring on aren't very good, and the print prices are way too high for the quality, in most parent's eyes. Just FYI.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 09, 2014 11:58 |  #3874

disneydork06 wrote in post #16891895 (external link)

CRCchemist wrote in post #16892061 (external link)
Maxpreps has a terrible reputation because most of the photographers they bring on aren't very good, and the print prices are way too high for the quality, in most parent's eyes. Just FYI.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. Ryan said MaxPreps didn't like his images, and you said MaxPreps has, and I quote "a terrible reputation because most of the photographers they bring on aren't very good."

A statement like doesn't exactly paint Ryan in a very good light, although he didn't say WHY MaxPreps didn't like his images.

Most of the time the people who say bad things about MaxPreps are people who couldn't get accepted as a MaxPreps photographer, so there is a bit of sour-grapes going on there, but I don't know if this is the case or not.

I have seen MaxPreps accept some really poor quality images, so that part is true. I think one thing is that most parents would rather take a cell-phone image that is "good-enough" then pay $20 for a print, which isn't really expensive considering the photographer's time and equipment cost, etc.

One thing is clear, the system as a whole (for sale and distribution of prep school sports) is broken and needs to be changed otherwise there just isn't much point to it.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2014 15:53 |  #3875

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16892920 (external link)
So, let me see if I understand this correctly. Ryan said MaxPreps didn't like his images, and you said MaxPreps has, and I quote "a terrible reputation because most of the photographers they bring on aren't very good."

A statement like doesn't exactly paint Ryan in a very good light, although he didn't say WHY MaxPreps didn't like his images.

Most of the time the people who say bad things about MaxPreps are people who couldn't get accepted as a MaxPreps photographer, so there is a bit of sour-grapes going on there, but I don't know if this is the case or not.

I have seen MaxPreps accept some really poor quality images, so that part is true. I think one thing is that most parents would rather take a cell-phone image that is "good-enough" then pay $20 for a print, which isn't really expensive considering the photographer's time and equipment cost, etc.

One thing is clear, the system as a whole (for sale and distribution of prep school sports) is broken and needs to be changed otherwise there just isn't much point to it.

maxpreps is interesting. they didn't like my grainy photos, especially all the ones I do for volleyball indoors. They're too grainy. I used a 1dmk2 and a 1dmk3 at one point for the photos and they didn't like them.
And yes, I really do need to work on my craft. I'm just never inspired or motivated lately.

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 09, 2014 16:36 |  #3876

disneydork06 wrote in post #16893438 (external link)
maxpreps is interesting. they didn't like my grainy photos, especially all the ones I do for volleyball indoors. They're too grainy. I used a 1dmk2 and a 1dmk3 at one point for the photos and they didn't like them.
And yes, I really do need to work on my craft. I'm just never inspired or motivated lately.

That is the thing about MaxPreps, almost everything indoors will be required to be shot with some kind of multi-strobe setup with the cost of the strobes, pocket wizards or some sort of radio triggers and high-quality lens and bodies, covering indoor sports can get really expensive.

You should be able to get some good day-time baseball images to get you in if you try.

Another thing about MaxPreps is that there is a bit of a time requirement, you have to actually go out on your own time and shoot games, and just because you shoot games there is no guarantee that any of the images from that game will sell. So you have to really commit the time to improving your craft (photography) and covering a number of games BEFORE you see any potential payoff in the form of image sales.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 09, 2014 17:05 |  #3877

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16892920 (external link)

Haha, you didn't see that I have taken sports and nature photos and have made enough money with the work to be able to purchase the 400 f/2.8 IS II. It's not about me being rejected by Maxpreps. LOL. I was just trying to help him out so he doesn't spend his time going out to shoot for them with expectations too high.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2014 17:15 |  #3878

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16893566 (external link)
That is the thing about MaxPreps, almost everything indoors will be required to be shot with some kind of multi-strobe setup with the cost of the strobes, pocket wizards or some sort of radio triggers and high-quality lens and bodies, covering indoor sports can get really expensive.

You should be able to get some good day-time baseball images to get you in if you try.

Another thing about MaxPreps is that there is a bit of a time requirement, you have to actually go out on your own time and shoot games, and just because you shoot games there is no guarantee that any of the images from that game will sell. So you have to really commit the time to improving your craft (photography) and covering a number of games BEFORE you see any potential payoff in the form of image sales.

That's where working at a high school can help. I'm already here and since I help out with the other photo class I'm usually out on the fields shooting and helping the kids with their sports shots. I also coach so I have to be at all the volleyball matches anyway, and since I coach freshmen I'm free during varsity games unless I'm needed on the bench.
I'm trying to get some photos during the playoff baseball games but my 70-200 doesn't have that great of a reach, even with my 1.4 TC on. I'm actually thinking about investing in the 300 f4IS or 400 f5.6 for some extra reach and to branch out my photography some more.

CRCchemist wrote in post #16893625 (external link)
Haha, you didn't see that I have taken sports and nature photos and have made enough money with the work to be able to purchase the 400 f/2.8 IS II. It's not about me being rejected by Maxpreps. LOL. I was just trying to help him out so he doesn't waste his time and doesn't raise his expectations too high.

On occasion I'll send some photos in to maxpreps, not all the time. It would just be nice to get paid for some of the photos that I take here while working the games.

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 09, 2014 17:26 |  #3879

disneydork06 wrote in post #16893652 (external link)
That's where working at a high school can help. I'm already here and since I help out with the other photo class I'm usually out on the fields shooting and helping the kids with their sports shots. I also coach so I have to be at all the volleyball matches anyway, and since I coach freshmen I'm free during varsity games unless I'm needed on the bench.
I'm trying to get some photos during the playoff baseball games but my 70-200 doesn't have that great of a reach, even with my 1.4 TC on. I'm actually thinking about investing in the 300 f4IS or 400 f5.6 for some extra reach and to branch out my photography some more.

On occasion I'll send some photos in to maxpreps, not all the time. It would just be nice to get paid for some of the photos that I take here while working the games.

All you really need is that 70-200 on one camera body, and a 400 on a second camera body attached to a monopod. You don't need the teleconverter because you'll never need a focal length above 400mm for the sports you're shooting.. If you wanted to go the cheapest route or only have one camera body, buy the 2X III teleconverter and put it on your 70-200 and then you'll have a 140-400mm. The disadvantage is that you're at f/5.6 but just crank up the ISO and you can still get over 1/1500 second to freeze your motion. Noise in sports is a funny thing. Just do well processed noise reduction and they won't reject you on those grounds anymore.

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 09, 2014 17:28 |  #3880

Hey Ryan,
If they ever get in stock, this might be and option:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …CkASQ&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link)

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2014 18:05 |  #3881

BamPhoto wrote in post #16893676 (external link)
Hey Ryan,
If they ever get in stock, this might be and option:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …CkASQ&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link)

i saw some interesting reviews on that lens. But it's up between the other two lenses. I might just go with the 300 f4 since it has IS and my 1.4tc wouldn't be too bad on it.

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 09, 2014 18:09 |  #3882

disneydork06 wrote in post #16893762 (external link)
i saw some interesting reviews on that lens. But it's up between the other two lenses. I might just go with the 300 f4 since it has IS and my 1.4tc wouldn't be too bad on it.

You aren't going to need the IS for sports, trust me. IS only is useful if you are down around 1/100 second on your shutter speed. At 1/1000, you're just wasting your battery power by having it on, and so therefore you'll find that you always have it turned off. Nobody that shoots sports down on the field has their IS turned on. It's completely useless.

Again, the reason I am recommending you don't use the teleconverter optimally is because it's going to kill your aperture, and you need every amount of light to get in that your equipment will allow. You are going to kill your shutter speed by using that teleconverter. Then you'll be at the same problem point you were at earlier with having to crank up your ISO too high if you aren't reducing your noise well enough. The one-camera solution with the 2X teleconverter on the 70-200 is a last resort option. Go for a lens that is f/2 or f/2.8 and you'll get properly exposed shots with limited noise, at high shutter speeds.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2014 18:58 |  #3883

CRCchemist wrote in post #16893768 (external link)
You aren't going to need the IS for sports, trust me. IS only is useful if you are down around 1/100 second on your shutter speed. At 1/1000, you're just wasting your battery power by having it on, and so therefore you'll find that you always have it turned off. Nobody that shoots sports down on the field has their IS turned on. It's completely useless.

Again, the reason I am recommending you don't use the teleconverter optimally is because it's going to kill your aperture, and you need every amount of light to get in that your equipment will allow. You are going to kill your shutter speed by using that teleconverter. Then you'll be at the same problem point you were at earlier with having to crank up your ISO too high if you aren't reducing your noise well enough. The one-camera solution with the 2X teleconverter on the 70-200 is a last resort option. Go for a lens that is f/2 or f/2.8 and you'll get properly exposed shots with limited noise, at high shutter speeds.

I just need the IS for other reasons than just sports. Would be the off occasion headshot/portrait, and I like to visit the zoo on occasion and will be in darker situations sometimes and any other situation that arises that my shutter speed drops from me being able to hand hold.

Ryan

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2014 14:25 |  #3884

CRCchemist wrote in post #16893625 (external link)
". . . It's not about me being rejected by Maxpreps."

That quote right there is the key, because it really is about if you shoot for MaxPreps or not. (it doesn't really have anything to do with how good of a photographer you are)

What I said is that the majority of people that say bad things about MaxPreps are people who have been rejected when they tried to join the MaxPreps photographer's network.

Now if you are an accepted MaxPreps photographer and you are offering opinions on what it is like to shoot for MaxPreps or what your experiences have been while shooting for MaxPreps . . . Well, that would seem like better information.

Being either accepted or rejected by MaxPreps does NOT make someone a better or worse photographer by any logical measure.

It is kind of like asking someone who has never made a chocolate cake, or tasted a chocolate cake, "hey, what is it like to make a chocolate cake, and what does it taste like?"

How can you offer up opinions about what the problems are with shooting for MaxPreps if you have never shot for MaxPreps?

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 10, 2014 15:58 |  #3885

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16895336 (external link)
That quote right there is the key, because it really is about if you shoot for MaxPreps or not. (it doesn't really have anything to do with how good of a photographer you are)

What I said is that the majority of people that say bad things about MaxPreps are people who have been rejected when they tried to join the MaxPreps photographer's network.

Now if you are an accepted MaxPreps photographer and you are offering opinions on what it is like to shoot for MaxPreps or what your experiences have been while shooting for MaxPreps . . . Well, that would seem like better information.

Being either accepted or rejected by MaxPreps does NOT make someone a better or worse photographer by any logical measure.

It is kind of like asking someone who has never made a chocolate cake, or tasted a chocolate cake, "hey, what is it like to make a chocolate cake, and what does it taste like?"

How can you offer up opinions about what the problems are with shooting for MaxPreps if you have never shot for MaxPreps?

Because we all know people who have shot for the company and the problems with it.

If you've never been elected to government, does that mean you don't know the problems with government and how to fix them because you've never been there?

sponsored links

614,076 views & 284 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.