Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 09 May 2014 (Friday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

** MAC specs... - any good...?? **

mav496
194 posts
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2014 14:12 |  #1

Hi all,

I've been given the chance to purchase the below MacBook, and would like to know your opinion on the specs and whether or not it would be worth buying...

My main use will be for tethered capture running Lightroom 3 or DPP and possibly installing PS CS5 if its good enough....

I am happy to update RAM etc to make it faster if possible, and do the odd bit of editing in LR3 or CS5 as and when. It will NOT be my workhorse as I use an iMac...

Help would be appreciated ASAP as going to look at it tomorrow morning!

Thanks,
Mav

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 100mmL 2.8 Macro, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
Bowens Gemini 400 Studio Lights & Bowens umbrellas and Softboxes....

sponsored links
Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 09, 2014 17:22 |  #2

Looks fine to me. What I'd do is put an SSD in there, as it would significantly speed things up, particularly for Lightroom. If you were to bump up the RAM to 8gb or more, it would let you keep more apps open at once, but as-is you can probably have Lightroom, Photoshop and a browser open without memory page-outs.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 09, 2014 17:33 |  #3

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16893666 (external link)
Looks fine to me. What I'd do is put an SSD in there, as it would significantly speed things up, particularly for Lightroom. If you were to bump up the RAM to 8gb or more, it would let you keep more apps open at once, but as-is you can probably have Lightroom, Photoshop and a browser open without memory page-outs.

+1 for the use you're intending. As a workhorse I wouldn't recommend this setup, but as a compliment, could definitely work.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

mav496
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2014 18:53 |  #4

Boone13 wrote in post #16893691 (external link)
+1 for the use you're intending. As a workhorse I wouldn't recommend this setup, but as a compliment, could definitely work.

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16893666 (external link)

Thanks guys for the quick response!!

Kolor-pikker, are the SSD's (solid state drives?? Am I correct??) easy enough to install, as I have no real experience in laptops/MacBooks .... Is the SSD and RAM easy enough to install for a newbie like myself??

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 100mmL 2.8 Macro, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 09, 2014 18:57 |  #5

5 years old. No AppleCare. So... be careful. Just be aware that even Mac laptops get old and die.

Private sale? You getting a good deal?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 09, 2014 18:58 |  #6

mav496 wrote in post #16893840 (external link)
...are the SSD's (solid state drives?? Am I correct??) easy enough to install, as I have no real experience in laptops/MacBooks .... Is the SSD and RAM easy enough to install for a newbie like myself??

Google is your friend...
http://www.ifixit.com …rd+Drive+Replac​ement/1337 (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mav496
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2014 19:24 |  #7

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16893850 (external link)
5 years old. No AppleCare. So... be careful. Just be aware that even Mac laptops get old and die.

Private sale? You getting a good deal?

Yeah private sale, a university student, where my wife works"....

mav496
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ mav496's post |  #8

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16893853 (external link)
Google is your friend...
http://www.ifixit.com …rd+Drive+Replac​ement/1337 (external link)

And many thanks for the link! Will be sure to check it out!!

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2014 19:55 |  #9

mav496 wrote in post #16893203 (external link)
Hi all,

I've been given the chance to purchase the below MacBook, and would like to know your opinion on the specs and whether or not it would be worth buying...

My main use will be for tethered capture running Lightroom 3 or DPP and possibly installing PS CS5 if its good enough....

I am happy to update RAM etc to make it faster if possible, and do the odd bit of editing in LR3 or CS5 as and when. It will NOT be my workhorse as I use an iMac...

Help would be appreciated ASAP as going to look at it tomorrow morning!

Thanks,
Mav

I have THIS EXACT COMPUTER, but I have it with the 256gig solid state drive.

Its an OLD computer, I would strongly advise against it.

Now, I still keep mine around because it can power my digital back(the H25 is screenless, and buttonless...)

But again, its a super old computer. Id really recommend that you look at the refurbished options that apple has, particularly the 13 inch mac book airs as they are HAND OVER FIST better machines than a 5 year old macbook pro. MUCH faster hard drive(if they have the solid state...), much better graphics chips, better processors.

Again, I strongly urge you to look at something more modern unless you have a particularly good reason(and I'm NOT convinced that budged is a good enough reason because of how old the computer is...) to get the older macbook pro.

8 gigs of ram and that computer are NOT going to make your life easier, nor will adding a solid state drive to THAT computer.

Remember..., I have THAT computer, WITH a solid state drive. while it was my only option to do editing for a while, a new macbook air, or even a refurb(highly recommended that you find a refurb...) is a much much better option.

Anyone who says that a modern macbook air does NOT have enough processing power is out of touch(being polite). If the computer you are looking at(the one I have) can handle files from my phase one.... it can handle what you are going to throw at it, but its gonna be slow.

Something else to consider: Survival time(or the remaining survival time) is distributed in a particular fashion(exponential), and if you have one object that is significantly older, its going to be much more likely to fail FIRST.

Similarly, something that is newer is inherently a better buy as its going to have a LONGER useful service life(the performance that applications DEMAND is only going UP, while the computer you buy operates with a fixed performance capacity...), therefore, you should do all that you can to maximize the dollar you spend...

I rarely leave things with a definitive answer, as the socratic process is beautiful, but, look for a newer macbook air, obviously something with 4-8 gigs of ram, a solid state drive and preferable the intel 5000 graphics chip.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 09, 2014 20:00 |  #10

I have a 12 year old HP laptop with the original OEM equipment (all 512mb of RAM) that is still kicking just fine today, and I use it at least a few times a week. Yes, I have newer PC's that obviously work better with better technology, but no reason to make it seem like a 5 year old laptop is destined for eminent heartache and failure. Not discrediting what you've said, just wanna emphasize to the OP that age isn't everything.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2014 23:01 |  #11

Boone13 wrote in post #16893965 (external link)
I have a 12 year old HP laptop with the original OEM equipment (all 512mb of RAM) that is still kicking just fine today, and I use it at least a few times a week. Yes, I have newer PC's that obviously work better with better technology, but no reason to make it seem like a 5 year old laptop is destined for eminent heartache and failure. Not discrediting what you've said, just wanna emphasize to the OP that age isn't everything.

I understand that, but I just would hate to see someone spend twice for what should be clearly a longer term purchase. you know? My laptop(i.e., the one referenced in this thread) is still doing fine. However, if it dies tomorrow I'm rather stuff out of luck - which is why I also have a desktop computer. I can't be with out a computer for school. I mean, i COULD code/tex from home...

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 10, 2014 00:58 |  #12

We don't know what price it's being sold for though, if it's cheap enough then why not? People buy old computers all the time. For light photo processing it should be ok... My old laptop was worse-spec'ed than this one and it ran Capture One plus Photoshop just fine, so did my old Pentium 4 workstation with 2GB RAM.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 11, 2014 12:50 |  #13

A friend of mine has this exact same computer except in a Mac Mini and Lightroom really struggles with his 7D raw files. Personally, with a 5Dii, I'd pass.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 11, 2014 17:42 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #14

Indeed.. it's basically the 2nd slowest C2D produced, which (just)ran neck and neck with the top Pentium D's.

I think you'll find it lacking horsepower. An SSD will make things open faster, but not process them faster.

If it's a really good price, you might be able to accept the speed/price tradeoff.

For normal, everyday computing, it's fine.

Kel
Gear

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2014 19:12 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #15

if just running LR3, then it can be handled.

With, CS5 I have reservations.

It's not a particularly light computer either.

sponsored links

2,773 views & 0 likes for this thread
** MAC specs... - any good...?? **
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.