Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jan 2013 (Friday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roque Flashbender vs Demb Flip it?

goaliejake22
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 19, 2013 14:40 |  #31

gonzogolf wrote in post #15628377 (external link)
I'm not, hence my suggestion to tilt it forward and use the surface as a bounce surface. I was offering advice based on the question which didnt include the diffusion panel as an option. My response to you was just that the addition of the diffusion panel changes it from a bounce card/reflector to a softish box.

Thanks for your insight. So if outside, you're going to want it bent forward, I assume somewhat rounding it forward.

Then inside (if you have good ceilings/etc) you can leave it up, and bounce off ceiling/adjust for more or less direct light.

Thanks, I think I've got some of it :)

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 19, 2013 14:49 |  #32

goaliejake22 wrote in post #15628554 (external link)
Thanks for your insight. So if outside, you're going to want it bent forward, I assume somewhat rounding it forward.

Then inside (if you have good ceilings/etc) you can leave it up, and bounce off ceiling/adjust for more or less direct light.

Thanks, I think I've got some of it :)

In the case of outside I dont roll it at all but bend it right at the of the flash to about a 45 degree angle. Inside I will round it based on how much I want to kick forward as opposed to how much I want to bounce. I think the fine control of the bounce angle is what sets the rogue apart from the other bounce cards. The Demb allows that as well, but you can flag and snoot with the rogue which makes it a bit more versatile.

hyogen
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 19, 2013 15:53 |  #33

I think the Rogue flashbender + diffusion panel is just as good as a Lumiquest Softbox III. I bought both and decided to return the softbox.

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R6, 45mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S / Moza Slypod

goaliejake22
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 19, 2013 17:15 |  #34

gonzogolf wrote in post #15628591 (external link)
In the case of outside I dont roll it at all but bend it right at the of the flash to about a 45 degree angle. Inside I will round it based on how much I want to kick forward as opposed to how much I want to bounce. I think the fine control of the bounce angle is what sets the rogue apart from the other bounce cards. The Demb allows that as well, but you can flag and snoot with the rogue which makes it a bit more versatile.

Thanks for the clarification gonzo- I would have gone and just rolled it, but 'bending' it at 45* angle makes sense. Right at the top of the flash... I'll have to go and try that! Thanks!

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 09, 2014 20:46 |  #35

Rogue looks too much like direct flash to me.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,170 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2014 20:47 |  #36

Shooting wrote in post #16894056 (external link)
Rogue looks too much like direct flash to me.

You keep repeating it maybe someone will listen to you. The flashbender is the same as any similar sized bounce card if used properly.

sponsored links

6,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roque Flashbender vs Demb Flip it?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.