Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 02 May 2014 (Friday) 02:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Swimwear General Question

tobygie
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 02, 2014 02:09 |  #1

Hey you!

I just wondered how the big boys in photography handle this situation in a swimwear shooting: I'm sorry if my human/dog like model causes nightmares...

IMAGE: http://tobygiessen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/diff.jpg
A big diffuser on top to avoid harsh shadows on the models body.
But it logically casts a shadow onto the ground as well and creates a hard transition to the surroundings, in this case the sand, which is bright as hell.

My question now is, how does the industry get rid off the hard transition? Just a case of right framing the shot? Or taking one shot with and one without the diffuser and merging both images together in PS?

Saw this typ of situation in a Victoria Secret photoshoot on Youtube...the photographer used a wider angle lens so had the rectangular shape in his shot...thats how I came up with this question...

Thanks
toby ;)

sponsored links
fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 03, 2014 01:44 |  #2

First of all, amazing drawing. I would hire you to draw me nude :P

As for beach shots, I try to place the model under the shade of a tree. The shadow looks much more natural compared to a solid straight line from a diffuser. I also usually use flash with a shoot through umbrella, this allows me to darken the background a bit (so it's not blown out bright white), and brighten the subject. The flash also lights upthe ground a bit which lightens the shadows.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

tobygie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2014 04:25 |  #3

fashionrider wrote in post #16878792 (external link)
First of all, amazing drawing. I would hire you to draw me nude :P

As for beach shots, I try to place the model under the shade of a tree. The shadow looks much more natural compared to a solid straight line from a diffuser. I also usually use flash with a shoot through umbrella, this allows me to darken the background a bit (so it's not blown out bright white), and brighten the subject. The flash also lights upthe ground a bit which lightens the shadows.

Hahahhaha thanks...well hit me up when you're ready! :cool:

Right, using trees and stuff shall work fine. I was just about to say that we ain't got trees near the beaches here...but there's this one location...gonna check it out later today, thanks for the 'tree idea'.

Working with flash of course...I just wondered how 'they' did this - on set or in post.
I mean it's all possible in PS...I would just like to see the professional approach of this problem...

Thanks for your answer fashionrider, have a nice day! ;)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 03, 2014 04:45 |  #4

These are some shots I took with what I described. Placed model under shade of tree, use flash.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/13908281458_cde56b46c1_o.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/13930706791_ce8550b210_o.jpg

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 03, 2014 05:40 |  #5

Maybe consider a reflector to bounce some of that sunlight back on the target from another direction.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 09, 2014 22:42 |  #6

^ +1

When I do beach photoshoots I almost always use a reflector. I only use the diffuser when the ground is not going to be part of the frame, such as when she is standing.

This is what happened when I tried using a diffuser when the sun was still super bright.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I used a mask around the model in lightroom because everything else around her was way too bright.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/11413711675_bec413992f_n.jpg

I also tried it on top of a table and the shadow was less noticeable since it covered most of the table, but I also used a mask to bring down the exposure on the background. This was my first "real" shoot so I learned to pay attention to that during the photoshoot instead of trying to fix it after lol.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

tobygie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 31, 2014 12:37 |  #7

Thanks everybody! Really appreciate your tips! :)

Alan ­ Rubio
837 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jun 08, 2014 23:27 |  #8

These are great tips :)

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

Rushmore
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 09, 2014 10:05 |  #9

Draw me like one of your french girls... wearing nothing but The Heart of The Ocean

Reppin the 5D iii and 7D with some lenses and some lights
LIKE MY PHOTOGRAPHY PAGE (external link)
MY STUDIO FACEBOOK PAGE (external link)
www.phlashworx.co.uk (external link)
My Photography Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
Swimwear General Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.