Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2014 (Friday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help on final decision

ShadowKingpin
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 09, 2014 19:19 |  #1

Hey POTN!

I am about to make my first Canon L Series lens purchase and am starting to feel conflicted. First off, I have saved up $750 to by my Canon 70-200mm F/4 L USM Non-IS lens, but keep reading online that everyone suggests the IS version. I sadly can't afford the IS version since it is $1,400 new, but I am noticing on KEH that I can get an EX+ quality one for $1,000. This is where the questions come in:

1. Is it worth buying a used IS version over a new non-IS version?
2. If the non-IS version works, is buying used from sites like KEH worth it (Since there is an EX quality one for around $499)?

I plan on using this lens for portraits, landscape and travel photography. I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong area! Thanks everyone!

sponsored links
phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

May 09, 2014 19:44 |  #2

I'd never buy a long lens w/o IS, I'd rather save an other couple of months (or rent if needed quickly for something). I prefer IS on my wider zooms too, but you can get away w/o it, but it has been great to have on my 70-200f4 many times. I'd rather not have that range than have it w/o IS.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

ShadowKingpin
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 09, 2014 19:48 |  #3

phantelope wrote in post #16893938 (external link)
I'd never buy a long lens w/o IS, I'd rather save an other couple of months (or rent if needed quickly for something). I prefer IS on my wider zooms too, but you can get away w/o it, but it has been great to have on my 70-200f4 many times. I'd rather not have that range than have it w/o IS.

Thanks for the input! In terms of buying it used, would you say it's best to do?

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,606 posts
Gallery: 516 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

May 09, 2014 19:59 |  #4

ShadowKingpin wrote in post #16893943 (external link)
Thanks for the input! In terms of buying it used, would you say it's best to do?

I don't think you're going to have a problem buying a lens from KEH. I'd do it.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

jrsamples
435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2014 20:51 |  #5

My 2 cents.... KEH is wonderful. IS would be preferable. Both from the standpoint of it being a long lens and also for it being weather sealed.

-Chuck

ShadowKingpin
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 09, 2014 20:56 |  #6

jrsamples wrote in post #16894074 (external link)
My 2 cents.... KEH is wonderful. IS would be preferable. Both from the standpoint of it being a long lens and also for it being weather sealed.

-Chuck

F/4 IS is weatherproofed? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2014 20:57 |  #7

Ive had both. The IS version is more versatile because of the IS. I can handhold as slow as 1/30 a second. Without I would have to be at 1/200, thats huge. The IS version is a newer design and was canons sharpest zoom until the 70-200 2.8 IS II came out. I bought mine used and its worth getting. KEH is reputable vendor.

ShadowKingpin
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 09, 2014 21:06 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #16894095 (external link)
Ive had both. The IS version is more versatile because of the IS. I can handhold as slow as 1/30 a second. Without I would have to be at 1/200, thats huge. The IS version is a newer design and was canons sharpest zoom until the 70-200 2.8 IS II came out. I bought mine used and its worth getting. KEH is reputable vendor.

Many thanks for the info! I keep reading around about how conservative KEH is about their quality scoring--which is nice to read, so I am really starting to feel a lot better about buying it used.

jrsamples
435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2014 21:22 |  #9

ShadowKingpin wrote in post #16894092 (external link)
F/4 IS is weatherproofed? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't?

http://www.lensplay.co​m …s/lens_weathers​ealed.html (external link)

According to this... it is.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,096 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2014 22:28 |  #10

I have had very good used products buying from KEH.

I'd go for the IS used :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 09, 2014 22:47 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

I have this lens. IS is the way to go.

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 09, 2014 22:51 |  #12

Having had both these lenses -- I agree IS is the way to go.

Also KEH is a fantastic store. Highly recommended.

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

May 10, 2014 00:10 |  #13

You can also watch Canon's Website for a refurbished unit. They are currently
sold out, but do regularly have them.

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …m-f-4l-is-usm-refurbished (external link)

Good luck in your search, and I hope you find one.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 10, 2014 00:24 |  #14

IMO the f4 IS is not worth the retail price. It is however, worth every penny of the used price. $1000 for used is too expensive. You can find them in great condition on here for $8-900.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

youngr
70 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 10, 2014 04:08 |  #15

I would also add to buying from KEH. Everything I've gotten from them were as good as or better than stated condition. Highly recommended for sure.

sponsored links

1,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help on final decision
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.