Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 May 2014 (Friday) 03:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yesterday my father. Today my Son

D_plays_it_cool
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 09, 2014 03:26 |  #1

A portrait shot of my son at the park. some CC please guys! thank you! :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,328 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 09, 2014 08:16 |  #2

It's a nice shot. However, the mix of light looks peculiar. It looks like his right side is lit by the setting (or rising) sun and everything else has fill flash. The color temps are disparate. I think I would have tried positioning him so that I didn't need the fill flash.

Also, the point of view makes him look like a giant -- something like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow man.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

May 09, 2014 08:29 |  #3

The exposure and focus look great. I'm no expert, but little Hunter looks like a giant against the background. Maybe shoot from his eye level instead of below it.

flickr (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2014 09:33 |  #4

This is a great shot....good expression, lighting and eye contact, good way to get his name in and good background. It does however suffer from a way too much dose of cyan in the sky - unnatural..very distracting.
I would also balance him more in the shot by cropping some on the right.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …44-1ppwww_zps2daf6160.jpg (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 09, 2014 11:31 |  #5

^ ^ I like the WB better in this one. Might clone the blown area in his hair, & those blue veins in his forehead.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 10, 2014 01:11 |  #6

joedlh wrote in post #16892386 (external link)
Also, the point of view makes him look like a giant -- something like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow man.

I agree, but there's not anything inherently wrong with that, is there? If nothing else, doesn't that sort of fit with the kid's stature and body language? I mean, it's a kid with his pretend bike pretending to be a little man, and he's standing there with a confident facial expression and body stance. I could totally imagine him saying "I'm a big boy now!" And I think that making him "look like a giant" sort of reinforces that aspect.

Granted, it might not be what the parents would like. I know that many parents just want to look at their kids as "my little baby" and they get sad that their baby is growing up so fast. Considering that these kinds of images are for the parents more so than for the kids, I can imagine the parents of this kid having a problem with the image.

But as a photograph, without consideration of final use, I like it. I think it's even sort of cute/funny.

sponsored links

959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yesterday my father. Today my Son
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.