Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 May 2014 (Friday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What the safest way for both buyer and seller ?

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 10, 2014 12:02 |  #16

postal money order works just fine,no paypal fees, but one should no who your buying from !

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

sponsored links
Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2014 15:59 |  #17

Doesn't paypal protect buyers more than sellers? I have heard countless people having to jump through hoops to prove their case when a buyer is trying to cheat the buyer.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2014 17:03 |  #18

Exposure101 wrote in post #16895495 (external link)
Doesn't paypal protect buyers more than sellers? I have heard countless people having to jump through hoops to prove their case when a buyer is trying to cheat the buyer.

It all depends on the situation and the dispute. So as long seller has proof such as pictures or tracking number, that is all that is needed.

That's why, when I sell things, I take multiple pictures (if needed). I hold onto those pictures for a few months and delete it.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Exposure101
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 10, 2014 17:52 |  #19

1KIND wrote in post #16895616 (external link)
It all depends on the situation and the dispute. So as long seller has proof such as pictures or tracking number, that is all that is needed.

That's why, when I sell things, I take multiple pictures (if needed). I hold onto those pictures for a few months and delete it.

I agree with you. That is what I do as well. I thought the same thing you said but all of those stories kind of make me wonder a little.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2014 19:12 |  #20

Exposure101 wrote in post #16895704 (external link)
I agree with you. That is what I do as well. I thought the same thing you said but all of those stories kind of make me wonder a little.

The typical stories are usually, "I never got my package". So as long seller has tracking number, that's enough proof.

Another is, "it doesn't work or not as described". In this situation, its either a refund or partial refund. If both parties can't come to a resolution, it's escalated to PayPal. A PayPal mediator will help to solve the issue. Usually it ends with having the buyer return the item along with proof of tracking before payment is refunded. Of course, the funds are temporarily on hold and seller has no access to it.

The seller must also be responsive to any emails and all communications.

I actually just filed a dispute for someone who tried to scam me on here (they've since been banned). I paid via regular PayPal, seller provided tracking number and that was the last of it. Never responded back and tracking never updated. Filed a complaint and he never responded. After a few days, PayPal decided in my favor.

FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2014 20:07 |  #21

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16894273 (external link)
I'm fine with a personal check.
I just tell people they get their product when the check clears. Don't see how that can be a scam...

Unfortunately, that isn't enough. Your bank can clear the check, deposit the funds into your account, then some days later decide that the check was not valid and pull the funds back.

The 'scam' would involve paying you with a check that takes longer than normal for the bank to collect. The bank has a legal requirement to 'clear' it within a specific time frame. Even if they haven't collected it yet, they must give you the money, unless they know it is bad. If they do finally determine the check is bad, they will take the money back.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 10, 2014 22:12 |  #22

lar55 wrote in post #16895935 (external link)
Unfortunately, that isn't enough. Your bank can clear the check, deposit the funds into your account, then some days later decide that the check was not valid and pull the funds back.

The 'scam' would involve paying you with a check that takes longer than normal for the bank to collect. The bank has a legal requirement to 'clear' it within a specific time frame. Even if they haven't collected it yet, they must give you the money, unless they know it is bad. If they do finally determine the check is bad, they will take the money back.

Bank can't pull the funds once it clears. There's a reason why they call it a "clearing" period. Its for the bank to ensure that there is funds in the account. Once a check is deposited, it can't be voided.

Pulling funds for something that cleared can result in a lawsuit. Obviously if it cleared, that means the funds are available and cleared of anything. If buyer signed it, it has his signature and he authorized it. Bank will check to make sure there is funds in the account or it will issue a bounced check and both parties will incur a fee.

Buyer can put a stop check on the check so as long it hasn't cleared with the bank. No bank would give you money before it clears. I've had checks that 1-5 days to clear. That's like me giving you the product before you send the money.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,160 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 10, 2014 22:35 as a reply to  @ iazybandit's post |  #23

I only take a check from someone I know. it's a courtesy but it also saves me 3%.. and if I know you your check does not need to clear. if I didn't trust you I would not have taken your check.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 10, 2014 22:41 |  #24

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16894273 (external link)
I'm fine with a personal check.
I just tell people they get their product when the check clears. Don't see how that can be a scam.

There was a time before paypal when this was how it was done.

Also, there used to be Escrow services. Paypal seems to have buried that business mostly, but they are still out there. Escrow saved my butt once!

With the new e-check regulations, it is possible for a check to clear and then get reversed later. Actor gets a third party's checking info, sends you a forged check, your bank electronically transfer funds from the third-party's available balance and everything seems fine. Until a week or two later when the third party notices the discrepancy in their account and a human actually looks at the check image to determine its a forgery, then reverses the transaction and leaves your account short of funds.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 11, 2014 06:39 |  #25

Bank wire has been safe for me. Once that money is sent, it's gone.

IF a buyer is dishonest in any way shape or form, paypal at the end of the day does not protect the seller.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 07:01 |  #26

Presumably bank wire in the US is the same as a bank transfer in the UK.
If so then from a sellers point it is the safest method as there is no way the buyer ( sender of the cash) can get their money back, short of going to court.
From a buyers point it is the least safe as you are working completely on trust.
I use another forum in the UK but we are advised to exchange addresses , contact details and if possible to make contact before sending anything

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 11, 2014 21:16 |  #27

I will take a personal check as long as I can go to their bank to cash it. I just did this on FM and Bank of America gave me the $1500 in cash no questions asked

Some of my feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,459 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 12, 2014 15:53 |  #28

I use another forum in the UK but we are advised to exchange addresses , contact details and if possible to make contact before sending anything

Likewise here, if anyone reads the stickies, we advise VERY STRONGLY against relying on the forum as the means of contact.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,414 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2014 08:36 |  #29

1KIND wrote in post #16895616 (external link)

I do the same to include the serial number. I even take pictures of how the product was packed, so if there's a packaging dispute, I have photos of that, too.

Story:

I recently did a transaction with a gentleman for some car detailing products who quoted me a price, plus paypal fees, then in another email, said please no fees. What he was saying is please send payment, via gift. When I told him I don't do paypal gifts, he went on to say how he doesn't cheat people and he's been selling for years - yada, yada, yada. Yeah whatever. I again said I don't don't do paypal gifts and don't mind paying the little fees and if you want to do business this is how it will be done. Although the quoted price should've included the fees, I went ahead and sent the $3 in fees because the product cost was so cheap it didn't matter.

Moral of the story. I don't care how long you've been in business or have been selling things. If I don't know you, I need to do business in a way that protects my interest.

Regular Paypal only for me. No gifts whatsoever. Definitely no checks or anything similar, no matter the history - been burned once by a rubber check and I was charged a fee, so their bad check cost me. I don't trust people I don't know or can't get my hands on or around - bottom line. Nothing personal, strictly business.

Just One Man's Opinion.

OP you'd better be careful as something don't quite sound right.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 13, 2014 10:16 |  #30

Methodical wrote in post #16901321 (external link)
I do the same to include the serial number. I even take pictures of how the product was packed, so if there's a packaging dispute, I have photos of that, too.

Story:

I recently did a transaction with a gentleman for some car detailing products who quoted me a price, plus paypal fees, then in another email, said please no fees. What he was saying is please send payment, via gift. When I told him I don't do paypal gifts, he went on to say how he doesn't cheat people and he's been selling for years - yada, yada, yada. Yeah whatever. I again said I don't don't do paypal gifts and don't mind paying the little fees and if you want to do business this is how it will be done. Although the quoted price should've included the fees, I went ahead and sent the $3 in fees because the product cost was so cheap it didn't matter.

Moral of the story. I don't care how long you've been in business or have been selling things. If I don't know you, I need to do business in a way that protects my interest.

Regular Paypal only for me. No gifts whatsoever. Definitely no checks or anything similar, no matter the history - been burned once by a rubber check and I was charged a fee, so their bad check cost me. I don't trust people I don't know or can't get my hands on or around - bottom line. Nothing personal, strictly business.

Just One Man's Opinion.

OP you'd better be careful as something don't quite sound right.

The person who wrote the check also gets hit with a fee as well.

sponsored links

3,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
What the safest way for both buyer and seller ?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.