Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 May 2014 (Sunday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying from Market Place

robienyshe
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 11, 2014 22:15 |  #1

Hi Friends,
I don't know if this is the right place to post this .. I wanted to know how safe is buying from MarketPlace? I mean how do we know that the lens is working well. I have been checking for couple of lens and the pics of the lens seems good.. I don't know but sometimes my instinct doesn't allow me to go forward in purchasing ... what do you think?

Thanks

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 11, 2014 22:22 |  #2

I think it all depends on the individual selling an item.
I would not buy a lens or any gear from a 'new member' for my own paranoid reasons.
Look for active members that offer links to other sites such as their Ebay accounts for credibility.
Paying a 3% Paypal fee could save you from a huge headache with either a malicious seller or gear damaged during shipping.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 11, 2014 22:26 |  #3

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16898089 (external link)
I think it all depends on the individual selling an item.
I would not buy a lens or any gear from a 'new member' for my own paranoid reasons.
Look for active members that offer links to other sites such as their Ebay accounts for credibility.
Paying a 3% Paypal fee could save you from a huge headache with either a malicious seller or gear damaged during shipping.

How would 3% Paypal fees save the headache? I didn't follow that...

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

ShadowKingpin
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 11, 2014 22:30 |  #4

robienyshe wrote in post #16898106 (external link)
How would 3% Paypal fees save the headache? I didn't follow that...

I think he is referring to the two types of Paypal payments: gifting (With no extra cost), or paying the fees (The 3%). If I am correct, if someone screws you over when you paid in Paypal gifting, there is pretty much nothing you can do, whereas paying the fees protects the transaction. Do I have that right, Infinite?

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 11, 2014 22:40 |  #5

^ Correct. I should have elaborated on that. Yes, as already stated. If it was a gift and 'something' went wrong, it has nothing to do with buying an item.
If I 'gifted' you $2,000 'for a lens' that never came... I have no recourse. That could me a massive headache.
Or if you sent me a perfect condition lens and during shipping the box got dropped and crushed, etc.
I have no recourse for compensation, because I just 'gifted' the money as if it was free cash.
Personally I would never 'gift' money for a transaction as a buyer. The 3% fee is basically your own insurance.
I would also not accept a 'gift' as a seller. Standard fees, standard transactions.
I have a couple items in my signature listed for sale. If anyone is interested. :)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Greg ­ M
299 posts
Joined Mar 2002

May 12, 2014 06:59 |  #6

It's more then paying the PP fees. If you transfer money from your bank account using PP you pay the fees but only have PP as your security. If PP can't recover the money you get nothing plus you're at PP's mercy. Sure they almost always side with the buyer but I don't trust PP. Visit paypalsucks.com.

Pay for everything using a credit card ONLY!!!! I'd much rather rely on my CC company then PP to resolve a problem.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 12, 2014 07:41 |  #7

I'm not sure if the OP is more worried about getting scammed or getting a sub-standard lens. Seems like the latter. If that is the case, and if you are concerned with pixel level IQ, I'd definitely recommend only buying from established members who have used the lens in question extensively and can speak to the technical details, or buy new from a retailer with a generous return policy.

Be careful of sellers who "flip" gear and might not have used or tested a lens much at all, and be wary of sellers like me, who don't have the wherewithal to evaluate every nuance of a lens.

kanadary
102 posts
Joined May 2012

May 12, 2014 09:15 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #8

sounds like you should just buy new or refurb from canon if you're that worried.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2014 10:30 |  #9

mpix345 wrote in post #16898745 (external link)
I'm not sure if the OP is more worried about getting scammed or getting a sub-standard lens. Seems like the latter. If that is the case, and if you are concerned with pixel level IQ, I'd definitely recommend only buying from established members who have used the lens in question extensively and can speak to the technical details, or buy new from a retailer with a generous return policy.

Be careful of sellers who "flip" gear and might not have used or tested a lens much at all, and be wary of sellers like me, who don't have the wherewithal to evaluate every nuance of a lens.

Established as in people with prior selling history and feedback. Ask for links whether its for POTN, FredMiranda or eBay.

kanadary wrote in post #16898870 (external link)
sounds like you should just buy new or refurb from canon if you're that worried.

I second this. If price is not an issue, buy new from a reputable store. If it is an issue, buy refurbished from Canon, B&H Photo or Adorama. Same condition as new and with warranty. The price you pay for refurbished can be a lot less than what you would pay for a used lens on the used market.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

kanadary
102 posts
Joined May 2012

May 12, 2014 11:00 as a reply to  @ iazybandit's post |  #10

I have purchased two lens used, one from ebay and one here. Both have been as described and both function as advertised, one was a cheap 18-55 stm from here and the other was a 300 non-is, ebay. Used a cc for both incase something messed up in the transaction.

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,396 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 12, 2014 11:05 |  #11

I have had very good luck both buying and selling here. I always use regular Paypal, using a credit card for Paypal so I have two layers of folks that may be willing to go to bat for me if something goes wrong. I am happy to say I've never needed to test that out.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,029 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 12, 2014 16:03 |  #12

Please read;
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1074819
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=292688

This is your transaction. It is in your best interests to use traceable lines of communication such as e-mail or the telephone to conduct your business.

If you must use PM then feel free to do so but doing so you must understand that in case of trouble POTN will not give you any PM logs or user trace info because we are not part of the deal in any way. We do not guarantee that PM's reach their targets, either. When using your own email you have your own logs and also possibly your own ISP there to help you in trace.

It is up to you to verify buyer's/seller's integrity and it is up to you to manage transaction safely.

TO GET TO KNOW SELLER, PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT SELLERS PRIOR POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS AT POTN. YOU CAN DO IT BY CLICKING USER NAME ON THE LEFT SIDE AREA AND SELECTING "VIEW MORE POSTS BY....".

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 12, 2014 16:14 |  #13

Thanks for the tips....

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2014 08:42 |  #14

robienyshe wrote in post #16898073 (external link)
Hi Friends,
I don't know if this is the right place to post this .. I wanted to know how safe is buying from MarketPlace? I mean how do we know that the lens is working well. I have been checking for couple of lens and the pics of the lens seems good.. I don't know but sometimes my instinct doesn't allow me to go forward in purchasing ... what do you think?

Thanks

Always trust your instinct. But typically, you will be fine here and on FM with the established folks. Also, check the feedback thread to see if you can find them in there.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2014 19:03 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16899711 (external link)
TO GET TO KNOW SELLER, PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT SELLERS PRIOR POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS AT POTN. YOU CAN DO IT BY CLICKING USER NAME ON THE LEFT SIDE AREA AND SELECTING "VIEW MORE POSTS BY....".

This x1000

I go full on stalker on whoever I buy from.

On F.M. I asked one guy about his request for "check only" request and his reponse to me was that "a $500 [camera body] was not worth the reputation he had on the forum" to ripping me off. touche.

That being said, I have purchased about a dozen-ish or more items from people on POTN with all positive experiences. Do your HW and research the seller. Account age is a huge sign also IMO.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links

2,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying from Market Place
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.