Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 10, 2014 17:07 |  #3886

CRCchemist wrote in post #16895493 (external link)
Because we all know people who have shot for the company and the problems with it.

If you've never been elected to government, does that mean you don't know the problems with government and how to fix them because you've never been there?

Really? Who do you know that has shot for MaxPreps and what are the problems with it?

How about some specific facts to back up your opinions??

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links
disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 11, 2014 17:49 |  #3887

Tried my 1.4tc on my 70-200 last night. got a little bit closer with my shots but I also moved my location. Haven't had time to look at the photos yet but I think I got something decent. Still looking for more reach. The team won yesterday so I have another chance to take more photos. Do I try and rent?

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 11, 2014 18:41 as a reply to  @ disneydork06's post |  #3888

My first question would be, why buy or rent a 400 mm f5.6 or a 300 mm f4 when you can buy or rent a 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6??

Lots of people say bad things about the 100-400 aka "dust pump" but from a cost and versatility standpoint I think it is a fine lens. All things being equal when I have an f2.8 lens to shoot with, I would rather use that for better blurring of the often distracting background elements, like chain-link fencing and ugly buildings.

Can we see the images you got?

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 11, 2014 20:42 |  #3889

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16895623 (external link)
Really? Who do you know that has shot for MaxPreps and what are the problems with it?

How about some specific facts to back up your opinions??

Dude, I'm not going to out photographers on a public board.

Like I said before: if you've never been elected to government, does that mean you don't know the problems with government and how to fix them because you've never worked inside government? There is a lack of logic in what you tried to say back there.

You're being silly now. Just drop it.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 11, 2014 22:20 |  #3890

CRCchemist wrote in post #16897931 (external link)
Dude, I'm not going to out photographers on a public board.

Like I said before: if you've never been elected to government, does that mean you don't know the problems with government and how to fix them because you've never worked inside government? There is a lack of logic in what you tried to say back there.

You're being silly now. Just drop it.

You are offering opinions on the workings of a private club, that would not accept you as a member . . .

. . . and you say I'm the one being silly. Muuuum K, just keep telling yourself that . . .

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 11, 2014 22:39 |  #3891

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16897737 (external link)
My first question would be, why buy or rent a 400 mm f5.6 or a 300 mm f4 when you can buy or rent a 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6??

Lots of people say bad things about the 100-400 aka "dust pump" but from a cost and versatility standpoint I think it is a fine lens. All things being equal when I have an f2.8 lens to shoot with, I would rather use that for better blurring of the often distracting background elements, like chain-link fencing and ugly buildings.

Can we see the images you got?

If I can ever get some free time to edit my photos then yes. Right now, I'm working on getting finals ready for my students and a review for my seniors who take their test at the end of this week.

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 12, 2014 10:22 |  #3892

disneydork06 wrote in post #16898132 (external link)
If I can ever get some free time to edit my photos then yes. Right now, I'm working on getting finals ready for my students and a review for my seniors who take their test at the end of this week.

That is one of the key selling features of MaxPreps, their photographers are asked to process and post the game images within 24-48 hours of the games they shoot.

And, the MaxPreps people will also tell you that being able to quickly process your images to MaxPreps specifications and get your game galleries approved will go a long way to your success as a MaxPreps photographer.

That is one of the reasons why I said being a MaxPreps photographer requires a bit of a time commitment. You have to find the time, or make the time to shoot a game, process the images AND get your images approved quickly, otherwise there isn't much point to even trying to become accepted as a MaxPreps photographer.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2014 18:18 |  #3893

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16899005 (external link)
That is one of the key selling features of MaxPreps, their photographers are asked to process and post the game images within 24-48 hours of the games they shoot.

And, the MaxPreps people will also tell you that being able to quickly process your images to MaxPreps specifications and get your game galleries approved will go a long way to your success as a MaxPreps photographer.

That is one of the reasons why I said being a MaxPreps photographer requires a bit of a time commitment. You have to find the time, or make the time to shoot a game, process the images AND get your images approved quickly, otherwise there isn't much point to even trying to become accepted as a MaxPreps photographer.

yeah, right now I have little motivation to get it all done. I finally finished grading a big project and did not want to work on another set so I edited my baseball pics. I went through them quickly and posted them on my flickr if anyone wants to see how much work I need...

Ryan

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 12, 2014 18:29 |  #3894

disneydork06 wrote in post #16900017 (external link)
yeah, right now I have little motivation to get it all done. I finally finished grading a big project and did not want to work on another set so I edited my baseball pics. I went through them quickly and posted them on my flickr if anyone wants to see how much work I need...

I don't see anything wrong with those images. Submit the ones that are cropped tighter and don't use the ones with deep shadows and you should get accepted.

Of course the night stuff can't be used, but you already know that. MaxPreps wants everything shot at night with a flash, and you can't shoot baseball with a flash, so just do that stuff for yourself.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 12, 2014 19:12 |  #3895

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16900040 (external link)
I don't see anything wrong with those images. Submit the ones that are cropped tighter and don't use the ones with deep shadows and you should get accepted.

Of course the night stuff can't be used, but you already know that. MaxPreps wants everything shot at night with a flash, and you can't shoot baseball with a flash, so just do that stuff for yourself.

Thank you. They said in an email they only allow volleyball to be photographed without a flash. Someday I'll get some noise reduction something other software to help me out with those higher iso shots.

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 14, 2014 22:31 |  #3896

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16898082 (external link)
You are offering opinions on the workings of a private club, that would not accept you as a member . . .

. . . and you say I'm the one being silly. Muuuum K, just keep telling yourself that . . .

Yes, that is what I am saying. And who said I would not be accepted? The photographers they do accept seem to produce mediocre images that most parents are not impressed enough to buy. So there is a reputation problem with Maxpreps. Not sure where you're coming from, inventing that information about me not being accepted.

disneydork06 wrote in post #16900017 (external link)

I think there is some way to go on these images before they're ready for any sort of publication with a media outlet or Maxpreps (well maybe Maxpreps would accept these, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable submitting them as they are.) There were a lot of shadows that were obscuring detail or detracting from the image that wouldn't pass with an editor. RD_73, RD_72, RD_70, RD_59, RD_58, RD_66, RD_49 as examples. Your night shots have very bad color casts from flickering lights that need to be corrected and made consistent throughout your series before they're suitable for publication submission. The dirt and grass are different colors in almost every photograph, and skin color of the same individual is different between photographs as well. Look at RD_04, RD_03 and RD_02 as an example. RD_69, RD_61, RD_57, and RD_46 aren't flattering to the subject. It's also not a good choice to focus on the bleachers and the pitcher in RD_48, RD_47, and RD_46 when you should have focused on the pitcher and the players in the foreground. The key to having professional level photos that are suitable for media publication is consistency and accuracy. Having the ability to capture pivotal moments is part luck and part foresight. That last part will come when you have more experience. But you can nail the consistency and accuracy elements now very easily.

I also checked, and you don't appear to be doing any sort of IPTC tagging at all. AZAlphaDog didn't catch this, but this would be mandatory in any professional editorial submission and any images missing proper IPTC tagging would immediately be rejected by an editor. I suggest you purchase a program called Photo Mechanic (which I use for my sports and journalism editorial work) and it'll streamline your keywording and captioning for your Maxpreps submissions. For example, I need to know who #25, #22, and #11 are on the home team, so you must caption that into the image. Adding GPS location EXIF info is a good practice for editorial images like yours as well. So when you do your IPTC, you should add Long & Lat coordinates to your image EXIF data.

disneydork06 wrote in post #16893852 (external link)
I just need the IS for other reasons than just sports. Would be the off occasion headshot/portrait, and I like to visit the zoo on occasion and will be in darker situations sometimes and any other situation that arises that my shutter speed drops from me being able to hand hold.

You want to use a 300mm lens for headshots!??! Have you ever used a 300mm lens before?!

P.S. I love that cat you adopted from the Humane Society.

eriet30
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

May 14, 2014 23:41 |  #3897

CRCchemist wrote in post #16905262 (external link)
P.S. I love that cat you adopted from the Humane Society.

After all the good commentary adding this was bw!

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

vnitto
26 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2014 19:17 |  #3898

A couple from Deer Valley Airport today

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2940/14229005653_05ddd933c0_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2901/14205577571_b82e355d3a_b.jpg

Rebel XT, 75-300 non-IS, 70-200 F4, 85 F1.8, 35 F2

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2014 19:31 |  #3899

Hey thanks crcchemist for the c&c. I just need to put more time in my edits. This teaching gig takes up a lot of time. I have used a 300 before. I like the compression it does in photos but have not used it at f4 yet. My work has the nikon 300 2.8 and I used that for one of the track meets last year. Fun to hand hold.
And thank you. Blu has been interesting so far. He is my first cat.

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 17, 2014 21:06 |  #3900

disneydork06 wrote in post #16911656 (external link)
Hey thanks crcchemist for the c&c. I just need to put more time in my edits. This teaching gig takes up a lot of time. I have used a 300 before. I like the compression it does in photos but have not used it at f4 yet. My work has the nikon 300 2.8 and I used that for one of the track meets last year. Fun to hand hold.
And thank you. Blu has been interesting so far. He is my first cat.

Editing sports photographs is just like editing any other editorial shot. It should be minimal and not take more than a few minutes per photograph at the very most. You're basically doing 2 things with every shot: tonal corrections and color corrections. Anything else is not permitted. And to be honest, the IPTC and EXIF usually takes more time than the tonal and color corrections do because you have to look at the photo and figure out who or what is in it before you mark it as finished.

Like I said, spend a few minutes at the most, but most shots will take less than 30 seconds to edit.

sponsored links

605,611 views & 280 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.