Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 May 2014 (Sunday) 18:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24 TS-E lens, Version I, still good?

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

May 11, 2014 18:26 |  #1

Thinking of getting an a7 or a7r and wanting to try using a TS lens (never have before), I started to look up some prices. Seems since a MII of the 24 is out now and out of my budget, the MI is now cheaper. Seems it's in the $700-900 range or so. Is the MI a subpar lens? Or for a TS newbie, would it be an ok purchase?

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

sponsored links
On ­ the ­ loose
21 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 11, 2014 18:58 |  #2

It is still an L lens, quite happy with mine. It is also a little smaller than the MarkII . The principle difference is the ability to rotate about the tilt axis and not just the shift axis, which means the relationship between the shift axis and tilt axis is fixed (though it can be changed by taking the lens apart). It may also have been lengthened to ensure the prism on some cameras does not foul the mechanism, though on the mark I this can be avoided by rotation 180 degrees,

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 12, 2014 03:25 |  #3

From an optical quality point i think the mark 1 is as good as the mark 2. But like above mentioned, for me the ability to rotate the tilt and the shift independently to each other was the big point why i bought the mark 2. I wouldnt find much use of a TSE lens when i cant do all rotations which i wanted.

But to you it may be different, so it is just a matter of if you need independent rotation or not...

Whichever way you go, those lenses have something special and hell im happy with mine :)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2014 04:09 |  #4

Optically the 24mm TS-E II is really a better lens. If you're budget limited, maybe try a 45mm TS-E or a Samyang 24mm Tilt-Shift?

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,097 posts
Gallery: 1551 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 12, 2014 04:56 |  #5

On the loose wrote in post #16897758 (external link)
It is still an L lens

A bit off topic, but that quality doesn't mean anything anymore.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 12, 2014 11:27 |  #6

Nikilove wrote in post #16898921 (external link)
nice share +1
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

Im happy that my experience with those lenses are appreciated!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 12, 2014 16:29 |  #7

davidfarina wrote in post #16898448 (external link)
But like above mentioned, for me the ability to rotate the tilt and the shift independently to each other was the big point .....

+1, that's the reason I sold my TS 45mm 2.8 ,great lens, good for some creative stuff, but what most annyoed me was the tilt and shift we're not indenpedent, but that was for my use, you might enjoy it. My 45mm suffered also from a bit of lack of contrast, and didn't like the focus ring that much, was a little too stiff coming to the minimum focus distance, tested others copies from some other photographers and seemed about the same, bought it used and sold it 3 months later by not much loss, now i'm looking for another TS lens, in this range or longer, because it can give some looks and creativity that no others lens can give you, let's hope CanonRumors is right and we might see some new TS lens from canon at this year's photokina.
Depends on what focal length fits your needs, but the 45mm is a fine lens,
some contributions of mine on the ts-45mm thread on the forum https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16054671&pos​tcount=465

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 12, 2014 16:58 |  #8

I shot with the Canon 23 TSE version 1 for a few years using a lens on long term loan, and have owned the VII since it was introduced several years ago. I consider the difference in IQ to be substantial. Much less CA in the version II making detail much sharper and contrasty, especially at the edges (which becomes the center when shifting). Both the 17 TSE and 24 TSE II have virtually no inherent distortion (other than perspective distortion which is a function of the WA focal length).

In addition the ability to decouple shift and rotation axis in the field is quite valuable. On the version I lens it can only be done at 90 degree increments by taking out 4 very small screws, rotating the mounting plate and reinserting the screws. There is one poster who typically does his panos in both dimensions simultaneously by combining shift and rotation lens orientation with the version II lens.

The reviews indicate the Samyang 24 tilt/shift is approximately on par with the Canon Version I TSE and it does have independent rotation and shift orientations. However, it does not have a robust build.

The 17 TSE and 24 II TSE lenses are among Canons finest lenses with outstanding image quality.

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 13, 2014 00:56 |  #9

The version I is obsolete!! Only the version II will suffice!!
Oh, btw... https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1374871 ;)

Honestly though, yes the V2 has overall better image quality and the ability to tilt and shift independently, but if that's not going to be an issue for you, the the V1 is still plenty good. Good luck :)

Oh, and you should totally buy my lens.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

snapperz
100 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 16, 2014 05:13 as a reply to  @ StephenAndrew's post |  #10

While the 24TSE v1 will do a decent job for most purposes, optically it is well behind the v2. If you want the sharpest corners and best contrast V1 is relatively weak even without any movements.
Take a look at this old thread on FredMiranda:
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11789​27/0 (external link)
and more specifically the samples here (external link).

Gear

sponsored links

1,878 views & 0 likes for this thread
24 TS-E lens, Version I, still good?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.