Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 May 2014 (Saturday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Microphone Compatibility?

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2014 13:13 |  #1

I have an external microphone that I've used to conduct interviews in the past with the iPhone, called an iRig, and was wondering how and if I can get it to work with the 5D Mark III. I plugged it in, but I have no audio at all, just white noise.

Here's a link to the microphone. http://www.ikmultimedi​a.com …ndex.php?pp=iri​g-mic-info (external link)

Can it be used? Do I need an adapter?

Thanks!

cbowlsby
175 posts
Joined May 2013

May 10, 2014 14:15 |  #2

I could be barking up the wrong tree here as it's been a while since I've used an external mic in my 5dIII but the iPhone uses a combo 4 pin 1/8" connector to get both headphone and mic working with one jack.

I believe the 5dIII uses a standard 3 pin 1/8" connector. So you'd need a 4 pin female to 3 pin male adapter if such an adapter exists to use your mic. Never seen an adapter like that.

feedback

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 10, 2014 16:13 |  #3

Yeah I don't think they do. Damn. Oh well, worth a shot!

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 10, 2014 16:28 |  #4

There are lots of adapters available to convert formats. And often quite cheap.

Just note that there are multiple standards for the 4-signal connector used in mobile phones, so not all adapters will work.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2014 14:11 |  #5

Okay so I've been looking around and hopefully you all can tell me if this will work with the 5D Mark III.

This microphone: http://www.amazon.com …Microphone/dp/B​0002KZAKS/ (external link)

With this XLR to 1/8": http://www.amazon.com …reo-Female/dp/B006LQH2B2/ (external link)

Is this the correct way to get it to work? Or is there another piece I'm missing? Have never done audio before so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Microphone Compatibility?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.