Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 27 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Honeymoon Roadtrip advice - Yellowstone,Tetons, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce

Niccas9
798 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 27, 2014 19:17 |  #1

I am taking my wife-to-be on a road trip for our honeymoon as these kinds of journeys are something that we have done for a while.

Here's the scenario - We are driving a lot of miles and will have a short amount of time at each place. We will venture to some places I have not been and others that I have seen already. I am just trying to get any suggestions of can't misses.

I know it is a lot of driving, I know it will be hot (June 22-July?) and I know we won't be able to do all of anything. I am just trying to give her a sampler platter so we can plan our next trip.

Here are the destinations:

2 days in the greater Yellowstone/Tetons
1 day pit stop in Salt Lake City
2 days in Moab area
1 day/night in Monument Valley (can't wait to stay the night out there!)
2 - 3 days in Zion area (using one of the days for an excursion to Bryce)

There are so many things in roadtrips that come naturally and I am not one for a huge itinerary, but there are a few things on my list to share with my fiance (Angel's Landing at Zion, Delicate arch in Arches, Horseshoe bend and Antelope Canyon in Page)

Here are the specific places that I am clueless about -
Yellowstone
Greater Salt Lake
Canyonlands NP
Capitol Reef (if worth the time)
Bryce Canyon NP

Any help is appreciated as I can read reviews etc all day but would like to use other means to get ideas.

sponsored links
KoalaCowboy
Goldmember
1,541 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 27, 2014 20:44 |  #2

For the Moab area, I would highly suggest you contact (external link) a very good friend of mine: Bret Edge, owner of Bret Edge Photography (external link) and The Edge Gallery in Moab.

Bret has vast knowledge of the entire area. Bret's Guide to Photographing Arches National Park (external link). He's also written Photographer's Guide to Bryce Canyon NP (external link), among a number of other eGuides. :)

Zion has a number of amazing places to hike! Angel's Landing, Emerald Pools, The Watchman, The Subway

- -
Pete
Gripped 5D Mk III / 24-105 / 16-35 II / 70-200 II / 600EX-RT / LEE Filters / F-Stop backpacks / Gitzo GT3542LS / RRS BH-55
USKestrel Photography (external link)

HQP
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 27, 2014 20:51 |  #3

As for the greater Salt Lake area it only takes 1.5 hrs to get to the Bonneville Salt Flats

sarahhj
42 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 28, 2014 14:26 |  #4

There's sunrise at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands, or at Dead Horse Point State Park.

My favourite overlooks in Bryce are Sunset, Inspiration and Bryce Point.

Canon 5D MkII | Samyang 14mm | TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II | 16-35mm f/4L | Zeiss 2/50 | 70-200mm f/4L | Manfrotto | Lee, Hitech & Lucroit Filters | F-Stop Loka | Panasonic LX7

OhioHick
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Gallery: 315 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 29, 2014 08:11 as a reply to  @ sarahhj's post |  #5

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

OK, I know that you know all this, but I think you are trying to cram way too much in to too little time. It is fine to try and sample a lot of places but I think this trip will be just a blur. Looks like you have 9 days listed for the total time at the locations; does this include the time to get from point A to point B? To me it seems like you are trying to merge two vacations into the time of one as you can easily spend 9 days in EITHER Yellowstone (and Grand Teton) OR southern Utah….and you still will not see and do everything in either area.

Perhaps you will find this useful in planning the southern UT part of your excursion:

http://www.tripadvisor​.com …States:Trip.Pla​nning.html (external link)

The link will take you to a travel article posted on Trip Advisor. The article is a primer of sorts on planning a trip to the Grand Circle but really focuses on southern UT. You might also want to check out the forums on Trip Advisor (particularly Utah and Yellowstone) to get some additional advice on the travel aspects (and there are a few photographers on the forums as well).

One more point, I would not do Bryce Canyon as a day trip from Zion. Spend a night at Bryce Canyon so that you can be there for sunrise and sunset and to enjoy the starry night sky.

OK, enough on that. There are so many wonderful things to see and do in all the areas that you mentioned. For our first trip to Yellowstone a few years ago, I made a list of “must have shots” that I wanted to see and try to capture. Rather than go into a lot of detail here, I’ll just give you this link to the trip report I posted on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor​.com …ng.html#3716436​3#37164363 (external link)

That was an 11-day trip. For your short time, perhaps focus on the thermal areas as they are unique and amazing (there are only three areas on the planet with these type of features: Yellowstone, Iceland and New Zealand). I know your timing is already tight, but Grand Teton is also a beautiful park and sits adjacent to Yellowstone.

So much to see and do in southern Utah. Arches is one of my favorite parks; it is just spectacular. The Windows Section in the early morning is beautiful. Delicate Arch at sunset is one of the iconic views in all of the National Parks. Here’s my journal from the last trip to Moab; it might give you a few ideas:

http://ohiohickpresent​s.weebly.com/tr---ut-2012.html (external link)

Take the back country tour while at Monument Valley. You will get to see much more of the area than by driving yourself. We did a tour in the morning starting at 8:00 and got some great shots through the morning.

You’ll have a great trip regardless, I just think that less is more in terms of the number of destinations (I like to stop and smell the roses!). I would focus on the National Parks…they are National Parks for a reason…but there will be wonderful things to see and do all along your route.

Glass half full...

Dorseyn
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Apr 29, 2014 12:44 |  #6

I just came back from Zion. The narrows is a must do! One of the most amazing things I've done. Go to the Zion adventure company and rent the shoes and socks and if you want to be more comfortable the pants. Doing photography in the canyon is really amazing but a little scary because of all the water so make sure you protect your gear. You could also just do the hike and not even worry about the photography. Either way I wouldn't leave Zion without doing narrows.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 29, 2014 18:57 |  #7

I've been to Zion. Love it. You can't go anywhere and not find a good photo op.

In Salt Lake City the Temple is pretty at night for exterior photography. Also, Antelope Island is interesting (out in the Salt Lake itself. The original Salt Palaces were out there--read up on it).

When you hit Zion visit Grafton (ghost town). It's a nice place (and interesting to read the tombstones that say "Killed by Indians".)

Have fun and stay safe.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Niccas9
THREAD ­ STARTER
798 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 30, 2014 23:03 |  #8

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate the time it takes and the suggestions.

Again, I know some might not agree with my itinerary but that is a non-negotiable, this is how I roadtrip.

Dorseyn wrote in post #16870023 (external link)
I just came back from Zion. The narrows is a must do! One of the most amazing things I've done. Go to the Zion adventure company and rent the shoes and socks and if you want to be more comfortable the pants. Doing photography in the canyon is really amazing but a little scary because of all the water so make sure you protect your gear. You could also just do the hike and not even worry about the photography. Either way I wouldn't leave Zion without doing narrows.

Last summer when I was there we tried but there were flash flood warning and the water was horribly dirty. If conditions are right we may choose Narrows over Angel's Landing as the last bit of Angel's landing may be too much for my fiance.

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

May 05, 2014 19:01 |  #9

You're probably going to go right through Page, AZ. If you haven't been to Antelope Canyon or Horseshoe bend, you really should consider staying a night in Page. It will be worth it. If you don't mind an 8-9 hour drive, you could always cut out Salt Lake and put in Page instead.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 05, 2014 21:32 |  #10

You're going to need a vacation after your vacation!

Yellowstone/Tetons you will want to wake up early and be out late for wildlife sightings and to catch Artists Point at sunrise. Then decide on what parts of Yellowstone you want to visit. Lots of walking and driving around, and you won't have much time to wait for breaks in the crowds, but you can hit the major tourist attractions in two days. A horseback tour of Teton NP, rafting trip down the Snake River and a gondola ride to the top of Grand Teton Mountain would be icing on the cake, but you probably won't have the time. I suggest camping in the park or staying in Lodges/Cabins to save commute time to/from the Park. Traffic really backs-up at the entrances in the morning, plus most of the accommodations outside the park are a 30 to 60 minute drive to the gate.

In SLC the Mormon Temple area offers a good half-day or more of sights. There is a tour that lasts about 2 hours that will bring you around and into many of the buildings (though not the temple proper). Utah Museum of Contemporary Art is nearby, and the whole area has lots of interesting architecture and gardens. Do plan to stay after sunset for great night shots.

Moab is a wonderful area. I'd suggest renting a Jeep and driving out some of the easy/scenic off-road trails. There are great views from the pavement or a short walk away, but you'll really get a sense of the vastness if you get away from the highway traffic. If you have time (which might be tough with 2 days), head up to the La Sal mountains for an interesting contrast between the red rock and sand of Moab and snow-capped mountains and woodlands just an hour or so away. We stay at the Moab KOA in either our own camper or one of their cabins, but the actual town itself is small so anything you choose is equally convenient.

Bring lots of water and Gatorade. We were there in mid-July a few years back and the temps passed 110 degrees every day. They say it's a dry heat, but I've never heard a turkey compliment the oven.

Too bad you can't take more time, because Utah itself is worthy of a two-week vacation and Yellowstone/Teton the same if you're hiking the backcountry.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

OhioHick
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Gallery: 315 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 06, 2014 05:33 |  #11

FWIW, the tram ride in Grand Teton goes up Rendezvous Mountain.

http://www.jacksonhole​.com/summer-ride-the-tram.html (external link)

Also, for Artist Point in Yellowstone, to catch the rainbow in the mist at the base of the falls, the timing is more like 9:30-9:45 AM (as long as the sum cooperates).

IMAGE: http://ohiohick.smugmug.com/NationalParks/Yellowstone/i-DkQd55Q/0/L/WY_2011_1B_0925-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://ohiohick.smugmu​g.com …s/Yellowstone/i​-DkQd55Q/A  (external link)

Glass half full...

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2005

May 06, 2014 12:37 |  #12

Seems a shame to be that close to the Grand Canyon and not give it a glimpse! Maybe stop at the North Rim on your way from Page to Zion.

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

madjack
Goldmember
1,594 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 06, 2014 13:01 as a reply to  @ Becca's post |  #13

Your trying to cover a lot of ground in a short time.

I would pick 2 of those spots at most and enjoy them instead of rushing.

To be truthful, I could easily get lost in Yellowstone/Teton for the entire trip and not be disappointed.

Good Luck and congratulations!

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

www.pva.org (external link)

Niccas9
THREAD ­ STARTER
798 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 10, 2014 17:54 |  #14

Becca wrote in post #16886113 (external link)
Seems a shame to be that close to the Grand Canyon and not give it a glimpse! Maybe stop at the North Rim on your way from Page to Zion.

Might just do that. I haven't been to the North Rim area and I love the landscape through norther AZ.

Our road trip is intended to be a true roadtrip, not taking an extended stay at any one spot is by design. Any can't miss locations en route to any of the above-mentioned places is much appreciated but won't be lengthening stay at any one location.

Thanks again!

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 13, 2014 18:39 |  #15

In 2012 we spent a week in Jackson Hole visiting Grand Teton's and Yellowstone.
We drove over 1,200 miles and didn't see everything.

Those two parks deserve much more time. I wanted badly to get to Cody and drive the Beartooth Highway, but we ran out of time.

Personally, I like to spend more time in one area versus attempting to cover too much ground. GTNP and YNP are world class destinations and a photographer's dream. The Teton's need clear sky to show their splendor. Yellowstone offers diversity for good vista's in both clear and overcast conditions.

Spending a week allows you to pick your daily trips based on weather. Two days in that area would be terribly disappointing if it is raining, snowing or low overcast.

I would saturate that area versus the larger itinerary.

sponsored links

4,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
Honeymoon Roadtrip advice - Yellowstone,Tetons, Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.