Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 May 2014 (Saturday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any thoughts about my new vintage gear?

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 11, 2014 22:02 |  #31

yogestee wrote in post #16897892 (external link)
Edit : You are aware what older lenses are capable of. Would you be willing to part with $100-$150 for the equivalent Nikkor (or other Japanese optic) to further explore your art? What would be your expectations?

My expectation is that my lens produce a different rendering than the other. So the Helios just do that for me. And by the way, I have a Nikkor 50mm. It is on my Nikon F red-dot photomic. I also have a few chiyoko lens too, but that is on my Minolta II.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,488 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 11, 2014 22:21 |  #32

The Sears 135mm is a great lens, I've read that the Takumar 55mm is too, but I haven't shot with that one first hand.

Here's my most recent shot with the Sears 135mm on my 6D, a self portrait so the focus was a bit off

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/13961622570_ea9e6ee14b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ngJX​Yw  (external link) IMG_6267.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

tjbrock42
THREAD ­ STARTER
944 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 11, 2014 22:46 |  #33

Thanks for sharing EverydayGetaway.

I cleaned the lenses and inspected them more thoroughly this evening and the glass on all three looks better than I expected. Not nearly as much internal dust as I had anticipated. The 55mm focus ring is starting to move more freely, but it's still very stiff half way through focus. The 135 looks like the aperture blades aren't functioning (stuck wide open?). The 28 is without question the cleanest of the three. I ordered an adapter tonight, so I will see how each of them perform before too long.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have learned a lot about vintage lenses after this first purchase and I haven't even put them on my camera yet.

6D
24-105L, 50 STM, 135L, 430EX II
For Sale: 40D

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 11, 2014 23:23 |  #34

snake0ape wrote in post #16898048 (external link)
My expectation is that my lens produce a different rendering than the other. So the Helios just do that for me. And by the way, I have a Nikkor 50mm. It is on my Nikon F red-dot photomic. I also have a few chiyoko lens too, but that is on my Minolta II.

Interesting. I had to look up what Red Dot actually meant. I've never heard of that term before.

Anyway, I've still got a 1969 vintage Nikon F that I bought second hand in 1975. This camera started a very long love affair with Nikon, the Nikon F2 AS Photomic being my favourite all time Nikon. Sold it in 1985 when I was building a house.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,093 posts
Gallery: 1549 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 12, 2014 04:12 |  #35

Xerxes wrote in post #16897727 (external link)
How do you think the ST 300mm f/4 would compare to the newer canon 300mm f/4 or the 55-250 STM? Of course the canon has IS but is the IQ similar? Just looking on Ebay here, some of these vintage primes are really cheap and have a nifty look

Heya,

It won't be nearly as sharp, or have the micro-contrast, flare control, resolution, etc, as the newer lenses. But, the fact that you can get an old 200~300 F4 lens for $100 or less often, compared to $1500, is the big difference. Also, sometimes, you might want the look of the old lens. I happen to very much like the look of a vintage lens, it sort of has a character that reminds me of film days, the color rendering is different, it doesn't look like a modern lens when it takes a photo in natural light (under flash it's very similar to modern I find).

I find the best price/performance in vintage lenses to be the 28~90mm ranges. Beyond that, at the time, was hard to produce and was costly. There's not a lot of true macro in there, so I avoid macro stuff. Ultrawides were not a thing and were not nearly as fast, nor sharp, so for the cost, a modern lens for ultrawide is best. For telephoto, beyond 135mm~200mm, I just go modern after that. There's plenty of great 135 F2.8 primes. And a few 200 F3.5 and F4's that are sharp and good. But beyond that, I'd rather have a modern lens. The sweet spot for me is that 28, 35, 50 range. Lots of very nice lenses in that range for cheap ($20~50).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,055 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 12, 2014 20:44 |  #36

MalVeauX wrote in post #16896061 (external link)
Heya,

I use manual lenses a lot. I have a few. I try to get them in the M42 (pentax) screw mount. As that adapts with a very basic, non-glass involved adapter that is only like $10. I also use Adatapall 2 lens mounts as they also adapt easily to EOS. This way you can use a modern Canon with any of these lenses. Most of them can get infinity focus, but some simply can't even though they should be able to (they're close to infinity, but sometimes they're just a bit off and can't get a perfectly sharp infinity focus, unless stopped down).

Some examples of vintage lenses on my modern Canons:

Helios 44-2 (swirly bokeh)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMG_1808 (external link) by
[URL=[URL]https://flic​.kr/p/nhsKh3]

No processing done to any of the above, just RAW -> TIFF -> Crop to ratio (not all were even cropped) -> JPG.

Very best,

I must say, Marty, that this is one heck of an image! A most wonderful composition; I especially like the way you were able to use the more substantial, woody part of the tree to create a dark edge along the right side of the frame. Extremely well done - great vision! And also a great job done by the optics to render that OOF foliage so wonderfully.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,093 posts
Gallery: 1549 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 13, 2014 04:44 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16900354 (external link)
I must say, Marty, that this is one heck of an image! A most wonderful composition; I especially like the way you were able to use the more substantial, woody part of the tree to create a dark edge along the right side of the frame. Extremely well done - great vision! And also a great job done by the optics to render that OOF foliage so wonderfully.

Thank you sir,

It's a fun lens to play around with.

And with a modern camera, with Live View, it's easy to see what your photo will actually look like, get focus, and see the composition all at once with an old manual lens. It's like "easy mode" for using them.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Xerxes
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 13, 2014 21:10 |  #38

That is an impressive shot with the sears 135. After looking at some shots on flickr I prefer the ethereal look of these older Russian lenses. They produce images like out of an old encyclopedia or aged magazine. Picked up a Mir-1 and Tair-11 on ebay. God I want them all.

Mir-1:
https://www.flickr.com …/38465352@N03/7​334155146/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …4fhX-8zmjL4-8zmnBt-8zmjL8 (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,488 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 13, 2014 21:18 |  #39

Xerxes wrote in post #16902877 (external link)
That is an impressive shot with the sears 135. After looking at some shots on flickr I prefer the ethereal look of these older Russian lenses. They produce images like out of an old encyclopedia or aged magazine. Picked up a Mir-1 and Tair-11 on ebay. God I want them all.

Mir-1:
https://www.flickr.com …/38465352@N03/7​334155146/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …4fhX-8zmjL4-8zmnBt-8zmjL8 (external link)

Thanks, it's a nice lens for the $15 you can pick them up for. As for the images you linked, to me those look like results more from processing technique to me, lovely images though.

One more from my Sears 135mm, we now call my friend "Keanu" because of this shot, google "Sad Keanu" if you don't know why :lol:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2859/13373429183_f8392b5053_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mnLj​ze  (external link) IMG_3459.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any thoughts about my new vintage gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.