Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 May 2014 (Thursday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade my T2i to ?????

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 15, 2014 15:00 |  #1

I picked up a T2i package a few years ago - and have been taking lots of pics of my kids sports games - and other general things (family, etc.). It came with two kit lenses - the EFS 18-55is and the EFS 55-250is.

I just picked up a 70-300L and really like it - amazing the difference (better reach - but better glass, AF, etc) - wow.

I was thinking about a 70d but - after reading a couple threads here - I'm scared to death to pick one up. :shock:

If my main use is youth sports - with some vacation and family pics mixed in - is there a good upgrade to make?

Thanks!
Dan

sponsored links
Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 15, 2014 15:04 |  #2

I really enjoy my 7D. You should be able to pick one up at a good price. I use it to photograph a lot fo youth sports, and the speed of the AF is really good. If there is a camera shop near you that offers rentals, you could maybe try the 7D or other options, depending on what they have...

Whatever you do, keep shooting and keep having fun!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

WolfsPride
548 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2012

May 15, 2014 15:06 |  #3

Canon 6D. Same thing I'm going for :D

Shooting photos never killed anyone,
Mike
_______________Canon 70D, Canon 70-200 f4-L USM, Canon 55-250mm EF IS,Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro,Canon 10-40mm,Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di2, Yongnuo YN-560 III, RF-603 and other stuff

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,332 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 15, 2014 15:09 |  #4

Heya,

What do you think you need to upgrade on your current body? What is it not doing for you right now? Are you being hindered by its ISO performance during sports shooting? Is the rest of what's going on solved with a flash instead? Or are you just itching to buy something new? To actually get an AF upgrade, the 7D and 70D would be the two crops to look at, but even then, do you need them? Are you having problems tracking kids sports with AI servo?

If you really want to step up your tracking, a refurb/used 7D would be smart. The 70D would be a good choice too, but do you really need a $1k camera that does basically what your camera does now, but with a little better AF system and a stop better ISO performance and that's basically it? Is that worth $1000 to you?

My vote is to save your money. Maybe get a tripod + gimbal and focus on technique, and focus on learning to short sports better (maybe you're already topped out for your current equipment, don't know, haven't seen your work). I don't see a camera upgrade being worth it for you for what you're shooting. The only thing I can think of, is that actually, faster glass would be more beneficial.

If I were dedicated to shooting kids sports, right now, I'd probably get a 7D and a 400 F5.6L and a 2nd 7D with a 70-200 F4L IS. :D

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ddk2001
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 15, 2014 15:18 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #16906878 (external link)
Heya,

What do you think you need to upgrade on your current body? What is it not doing for you right now? Are you being hindered by its ISO performance during sports shooting? Is the rest of what's going on solved with a flash instead? Or are you just itching to buy something new? To actually get an AF upgrade, the 7D and 70D would be the two crops to look at, but even then, do you need them? Are you having problems tracking kids sports with AI servo?

If you really want to step up your tracking, a refurb/used 7D would be smart. The 70D would be a good choice too, but do you really need a $1k camera that does basically what your camera does now, but with a little better AF system and a stop better ISO performance and that's basically it? Is that worth $1000 to you?

My vote is to save your money. Maybe get a tripod + gimbal and focus on technique, and focus on learning to short sports better (maybe you're already topped out for your current equipment, don't know, haven't seen your work). I don't see a camera upgrade being worth it for you for what you're shooting. The only thing I can think of, is that actually, faster glass would be more beneficial.

If I were dedicated to shooting kids sports, right now, I'd probably get a 7D and a 400 F5.6L and a 2nd 7D with a 70-200 F4L IS. :D

Very best,

Good questions. I'm having some issues with tracking the kids - but I'm getting better at it. I've been shooting in M and in Av and am getting better result - have been experimenting with focus points, etc.

While I try to time my shots - sometimes I'd like to have the capability to shoot continuous with a good burst rate. The T2i seems slow (@3.7fps). So - I'd like some improvement there.

Is any of that really worth the $$ when it's just a hobby? I don't know. I don't know whether it was worth the $$ getting the L glass either - but it sure is more fun to shoot with . . .

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,332 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

May 15, 2014 15:51 |  #6

ddk2001 wrote in post #16906900 (external link)
Good questions. I'm having some issues with tracking the kids - but I'm getting better at it. I've been shooting in M and in Av and am getting better result - have been experimenting with focus points, etc.

While I try to time my shots - sometimes I'd like to have the capability to shoot continuous with a good burst rate. The T2i seems slow (@3.7fps). So - I'd like some improvement there.

Is any of that really worth the $$ when it's just a hobby? I don't know. I don't know whether it was worth the $$ getting the L glass either - but it sure is more fun to shoot with . . .

Heya,

The 7D would do better and is faster by a lot. The 70D is a bit better than you T2i as well. The 7D would be the better of the two, for good day light sports with high bursts and the best tracking options. The 70D is right next to it, just with a wee bit less speed, and a wee bit less AF modality.

Worth is up to you. Personally I think a new camera will not really help, and that you're better off learning more techniques, learning to shoot sports specifically, rather than buying something as a fix only to find out, you get the same results.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GenSao
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 15, 2014 18:22 |  #7

I would consider the 70D with the EF-S 18-135 STM IS. Works very well with my EF 70-300L and can accept the same 67mm filters. The 70D is a good all around camera that has enough FPS for sports. Although the 7D may be best for sports, I like the 70D for it's flexibility.

Oh, and if you get the new EF-S 10-18 STM IS, you will be set Three lens from 10-300 mm all using the same 67mm filters.

Gear List - My Website (external link) - Flickr (external link)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 15, 2014 19:12 |  #8

I have followed the route: 550D -> 7D -> 5D3. But I still use all of them; each one has virtues that I appreciate from time to time. I will toss the 550D bag in the car as a lightweight walkaround solution when I don't want to lug either of the others around.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Lumens
449 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 15, 2014 19:41 |  #9

I upgraded from the T2i to a 7D and have really enjoyed the 7D, but truth is unless you have a need you do not need to upgrade. I still have the T2i and find it very useful, it is a good camera, the image quality of the 7D or most other APS-C crop frame cameras will be very similar. I find the Image Quality of the T2i to be very close and sometimes better than the 7D depending on the shot.

The BIG DIFFERENCE between the two is the fact I like outdoor wildlife especially Birds in Flight. That means "Continuous Mode" and high "Frames per Second". The T2i can handle 3 to 4 shots before showing "BUSY" and the bird flies off. The 7D is a master for that scenario, I never miss a shot with the 7D.

If you plan to upgrade you need to determine why you need to upgrade. To upgrade from a T2i to another crop frame camera will provide some new features, but if those features are not needed you waste cash! The only reason I see to upgrade from the T2i would be to go to a Full Frame like the 6D or 5DIII. This would provide much better image quality, from what I understand.

If you are not going to full frame I recommend the money is better spent on glass. As you have noticed with the 70-300L good glass makes a big difference as well. Your T2i is still a very good camera I still use mine all the time, generally my zooms are on the 7D and my primes are on the T2i - both provide outstanding images.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 15, 2014 23:59 |  #10

I did this same thing a year ago - here is my thoughts.

I had a T2i and really liked it - I listed it on craigslist after seeing a 7D pop up locally - Long story short I sold my T2i for close to what I bought it for and only had to spend 200$ to snag the 7D -
Now to get to your question - Do I like my 7D - YES - Do I sometimes miss my T2i? - YES
I love the 7D for the camera that it is, but as many people have said look at what you are wanting out of your next camera body - do you need/want better Low light performance? 7D is not the camera for that over a T2i - But if you are wanting better AF system / Faster frame rate / more rugged body / MFA / a more "pro" style feel of a DSLR body then a 7D is perfect.
I Love the feel/ergonomics of my 7D - But for what I shot did i really need to upgrade? Probably not and I sometimes miss my T2i because in some situations my T2i files seemed to be sharper/better - BUT it is all depends on what you are wanting. For sports a 70/7D would be great - FF cameras are tempting but the AF system on the 7D is still great

I guess I didnt really answer you very well, I would say just think on it for a while, maybe borrow a 7D form a friend and see shooting side by side what you think.

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

May 16, 2014 00:42 |  #11

Just like the other responders, I started with a T2i and upgraded to a 7D. I actually went with a 50D for a while, but liked the T2i's IQ better. I really like my 7D and use it for youth sports and birds. I kept the T2i and usually keep my 17-70 on it while I have the 100-400 on the 7D.

You will really like the upgrade in frames per second and the large buffer on the 7D, if you go that route. I also like the extra focus points. I don't know much about the 70D, but if I were in the market right now, I would definitely consider it.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 16, 2014 01:26 |  #12

I manhandled the 70D at best buy yesterday - It is a good feeling camera, also it has a silent shutter mode for regular shooting, sounded nice while shooting.

That is the thing about the 7D that i love over the T2i - The AF points - and I havent shot with a T2i side by side to compare but my 7D is snap fast on the focusing.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

May 16, 2014 02:05 |  #13

donĀ“t be scared about 70D, but the question is really .. do you need a new camera for shooting kids?
there is no major IQ advantage.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 16, 2014 02:25 |  #14

palad1n wrote in post #16907918 (external link)
there is no major IQ advantage.

This is true - However there is advantages in the overall body when coming from a T2i to a body like the 7D - Build is much better and I really have fallen in love with the Top LCD and the 2 wheels for control - I can now see why changing functions / settings is more fluid on a body like the 7D once you get used to its ergonomics. For my personal shooting needs do i really need the 8 FPS rate of the 7D for my kids? No - BUT at times it does come in handy when they are active.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 16, 2014 06:06 |  #15

ddk2001 wrote in post #16906852 (external link)
I picked up a T2i package a few years ago - and have been taking lots of pics of my kids sports games - and other general things (family, etc.). It came with two kit lenses - the EFS 18-55is and the EFS 55-250is.

I just picked up a 70-300L and really like it - amazing the difference (better reach - but better glass, AF, etc) - wow.

I was thinking about a 70d but - after reading a couple threads here - I'm scared to death to pick one up. :shock:

If my main use is youth sports - with some vacation and family pics mixed in - is there a good upgrade to make?

Thanks!
Dan

I like the 70d a lot, it has wheel in the back, a tilt screen, it has cool video, its lite, and better image quality than the 7d.
Sure 7d is a beast, but 70d is good enough.

sponsored links

2,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade my T2i to ?????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.