Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 May 2014 (Friday) 03:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many photographs in series?

debokte
48 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2013

May 16, 2014 03:24 |  #1

Right, I was recommended to make a series of photographs on a certain theme. My question is, how many photos should be in a series? As little as 2, as many as 100?

I don't remember ever hearing about this, anyone care to shed some light?

PHOTONOD (external link)

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 16, 2014 03:38 |  #2

as many as you need to tell the story, but not so many that viewers get bored (although it depends on the theme, and how good the pictures are, a broad theme with lots of great pics will have more than a narrow theme and only a few good pics)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,489 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 16, 2014 04:02 |  #3

What echo said. There is no set answer to the question beyond "as many as you need/want".

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 16, 2014 04:10 |  #4

debokte wrote in post #16907990 (external link)
Right, I was recommended to make a series of photographs on a certain theme. My question is, how many photos should be in a series? As little as 2, as many as 100?

I don't remember ever hearing about this, anyone care to shed some light?

As many as the series needs.

And sorry, but that's as much as I can tell you. There's no formula for this stuff. If you want strictly laid out rules, then stick to something easy like math.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 16, 2014 06:07 |  #5

I was recommended to make a series of photographs on a certain theme.

You were advised to make a series or you were recommended to somebody else as the best person to shoot the series?

Elie / אלי

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,485 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2014 06:20 |  #6

What has been said. Also look at some of the great photo projects of the past. A perfect place to start is with Robert Franks The Americans. W Eugene Smiths Country Doctor or the work he did on Minamata.

debokte
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 16, 2014 06:25 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #7

I was told that one of my photos could be a theme for a series of photos thus the question.

Little acidy Clean Gene, I know its not a math but was thinking aomething along the lines of 'rule of thumb' if you know what I mean.

I do understand that it may be subject driven and specific from series to series, just asked for some guidelines and many thanks for that. You huys rock as always!

PHOTONOD (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,485 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2014 06:32 |  #8

Gene is right though there are no rules or guidelines only what is right for each situation. Most of the great photographers all worked in series of relating images (bodies of work). Working like this can also help a photographer develop a style. And it's a process where editing (what to leave in but even maybe more important, what to leave out) is as important as what you've shot.

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2014 12:16 |  #9

Keep in mind that series can be ongoing. Personal projects have no deadline, its what you want it to be. Some photographers release series and then years later rerelease it with more images and refinements.

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 16, 2014 14:45 |  #10

If I'm iterested in the topic and there is lots of action I will crank off 150 to 200 photos no problem. I'll net this down to my choice of 12 to 15 photos.

But sometimes I will pack my camera along and only take 2 pictures. This is when I wish I was carrying my P&S instead of.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 16, 2014 15:06 |  #11

How many photos in the series depends largely on how the series is going to be presented.

If it is a series of photos to accompany a magazine article (images used to support the text), then from three to six images would be appropriate.

If it is a stand alone series used as a photo essay in a print magazine, then five to ten images would be appropriate.

If it is a series that an entire coffee-table book will be comprised of, then you will need a large number of images, roughly anywhere from 40 to 120.

If it is a series that is going to be used as a display at a kiosk, then anywhere from 5 to 12 images would be appropriate.

There are many, many more ways in which a series of photos are used, and the number of photos to include in the series is primarily determined by the usage and the way they are going to be presented.

So, debokte, I guess what we would like to know from you is, how is this series of yours going to be used? If you could let us know, then we would be better able to help you as you narrow down your selections.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,317 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 16, 2014 15:26 |  #12

It should have the same effect as a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to remain interesting.

debokte
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 16, 2014 18:41 |  #13

Tom, many thanks for info. It would be a kiosk display series.
@gonzogolf - love your analogy :)

Many thanks guys, appreciate your input and comments. It is more clear now.

Cheers

PHOTONOD (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 16, 2014 18:56 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #16909310 (external link)
It should have the same effect as a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to remain interesting.

bw!:lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,485 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2014 19:19 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16909653 (external link)
bw!:lol:

:lol::lol:bw!:lol:

sponsored links

1,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many photographs in series?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.