Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 May 2014 (Wednesday) 22:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do You Protect Your Tripod Head?

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 16, 2014 00:09 |  #16

I use an Op/Tech Snoot Boot available in any of several sizes and ranging in price from about $12-16, available thru numerous outlets (brick & mortar, online) for my Arca Swiss Z-1 and my Markins Q3. I like the fact that I can "sock" the neoprene, stretchable cover over the ballhead and cinch it closed without having to take it off the tripod (which you could do) and then place the whole thing in a padded, zippered tripod case.

IMAGE: http://optechusa.com/skin/frontend/optechusa/default/images/Pilot/SnootBootAll.jpg

sponsored links
Ynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 16, 2014 17:42 |  #17

Sirrith, are the legs alone actually the same set height-wise? And that the spider and column are what makes up the difference? If that's the case I'll stick with the 3442 purchase and go at it like you did. If the 3441T, legs alone, are longer then that's what I'll order + the short CC. I looked on Feisol's site for the flat spider, but could not find that as an option to purchase alone, which may tell me that the legs are in fact the same length and the height is dependent on the spider type. Hope that makes sense.

Also, did you purchase any optional spikes? Opinion? Under the 3441T it says, "- The CT-3441T features two different spikes for various terrains (optional)...". Although it says "optional" it also says "features". I'm a bit confused, does it come with these spikes or not?

Thanks, just want to make the right decision.

Tony
My Gear
Governments don't live together, people live together...Ӕ
Outlaw Josey Wales

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 16, 2014 20:59 |  #18

Ynot wrote in post #16909530 (external link)
Sirrith, are the legs alone actually the same set height-wise? And that the spider and column are what makes up the difference? If that's the case I'll stick with the 3442 purchase and go at it like you did. If the 3441T, legs alone, are longer then that's what I'll order + the short CC. I looked on Feisol's site for the flat spider, but could not find that as an option to purchase alone, which may tell me that the legs are in fact the same length and the height is dependent on the spider type. Hope that makes sense.

Also, did you purchase any optional spikes? Opinion? Under the 3441T it says, "- The CT-3441T features two different spikes for various terrains (optional)...". Although it says "optional" it also says "features". I'm a bit confused, does it come with these spikes or not?

Thanks, just want to make the right decision.

Yes the 3441T is basically made from the 3442's legs and a new spider. And yes, the extra height comes entirely from the centre column locking knob on the 3441T. You cannot buy the component parts separately from their site, which is why you can't find it on there :)

I didn't add any spikes, no. I think I would be likely to lose the spikes, or forget to bring them when I'm traveling, or just waste time dropping them in the field etc...

I haven't found any real need for the spikes as yet, the rubber feet hold fine for the vast majority of surfaces. It is only on slippery river rocks that the legs tend to slide around, but I don't know how useful spikes would be on smooth hard surfaces.

They do not come included, you can buy either the long spikes or short spikes or both. I would be quite interested if they came out with "claw" feet like RRS has.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 16, 2014 23:17 |  #19

I'm not sure you need to. I don't, and while my Markins looks terrible now, it still performs like a champ.

nma
69 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 18, 2014 13:38 |  #20

I am not sure I understand you. If your ball head is right-sized it will fit between the legs when the 3442 is reversed. This works fine but it limits the size of the ball head you can use. For example, my Acratech Ultimate will not fit. Find out from Feisol which will fit, or go ask the head-company whether their head will fit. Keep in mind, that the 3442 is a lightweight tripod, most suited to travel and hiking. It is a serious set of legs but the legs and head must function together or you will not be happy. A really big heavy head will not be suitable, not will a little itty-bitty one. Something to think about.

Ynot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 18, 2014 14:34 |  #21

nma, thanks. This is why I'm doing so much thinking, almost over-thinking. I miss brick and mortar camera shops.

Tony
My Gear
Governments don't live together, people live together...Ӕ
Outlaw Josey Wales

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,723 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2014 22:40 |  #22

I found a very fuzzy golf club cover, shaped similar to 'B' in the photo of post 16. It is so fuzzy that it cushions any blow. Found it one of those discount goods stores, Tuesday Morning. Its snug fit means that I don't have to bother with drawstrings to hold it in place.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do You Protect Your Tripod Head?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.