Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 May 2014 (Tuesday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Well it happened again!

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2014 16:56 |  #16

Fligi7 wrote in post #16902507 (external link)
Well, I'm not sure what kind of events you typically work, but that is in no way surprising to me that rented security was not well-read into who the specific allowed photographers were and weren't.

I guess I just don't understand why it's so apparently offensive to you. The guard simply was not aware that you were authorized. You informed him of the former and that was that. He left you alone once he was made aware. Maybe I'm missing some undertones or implications.

Like I said, I get approached all the time by various parents, coaches, staff, you name it at large competitions with multiple teams like this as everyone is trying to regulate things as best as possible. You just simply inform them that you're authorized and be prepared to provide proof or a PoC they can speak with to corroborate your story. And, that's that. I see this as a success story, that you had to do nothing further once you informed the guard of your authorization and your shooting was in no way further hindered. The guard could have easily continued to badger you or force you to take further time away from shooting.

Just MHO, though, based on my experiences.

Agreed. Were you wearing credentials? If not, he asked, you informed and he moved on. Where's the news story? This is pretty standard.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links
flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 14, 2014 17:23 |  #17

elrey2375 wrote in post #16904569 (external link)
Agreed. Were you wearing credentials? If not, he asked, you informed and he moved on. Where's the news story? This is pretty standard.

LMAO!....I guess you missed the part where he kept harrassing everyone else! Theres your news flash!

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 14, 2014 17:24 |  #18

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16904547 (external link)
I have to ask. Did you even read the entire thread and all that was done to insure I was covered before your response?

...absolutely.

my guess would be no but thats only a guess.

Your guess would be wrong.

If you did then please tell me what more I could have done to prevent this guy from doing what he did?

Nothing. There was clearly miscommunication somewhere between the organisers of the event, the venue and the security.

Maybe I should have gotten up on stage and held a quick 2 minute class for him? ;)In case you missed it he continued to harrass others AFTER he spoke to me and knew photgraphy was allowed.

"Harass" is how you felt. It probably didn't describe what he actually did. He only knew what you told him.

He didnt stop me from shooting, He went on his way to play COP and stop others (with a DSLR and a big len ONLY) who didnt know any better.

As was his job.

If he was indeed " working to instructions" as you claim then he would have stopped me!

Or he exercised his discretion.

Basically he was an @ss with a rent a cop attitude plain and simple. It was pretty obvious that photography was allowed due to the 50 Moms and Dads taking photos with all sorts of different cameras and equipment.

The only think clear from this thread is your attitude, not anyone elses. Security guards work damn hard. You might have gotten a bad one. But from the tone of your posts I suspect you just plain out disrespect the job.

The solution is easy. Tell the organisers to tell the venue that photography of all types is allowed. Or you could not do this (which you didn't): and let this happen again and again and again.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,614 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 15, 2014 11:25 |  #19

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16902796 (external link)
Offensive isn't exactly the term I would use however he was rude and acusatory right from the start of the conversation. Sorry his tone doesn't come across in print . . . Why he decided big lenses were suddenly banned is beyond me.

I think you did exactly the right thing at the time but have allowed the security guy into your head after the fact. You may want to consider disallowing critters like this any control. Make his rude behavior and strange choice completely his problem and get on with life.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 16, 2014 01:31 |  #20

AZGeorge wrote in post #16906348 (external link)
I think you did exactly the right thing at the time but have allowed the security guy into your head after the fact. You may want to consider disallowing critters like this any control. Make his rude behavior and strange choice completely his problem and get on with life.

But if he had, we'd have missed out on yet another mean-ol'-rent-a-cop thread!

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 16, 2014 21:23 |  #21

banquetbear wrote in post #16904623 (external link)
...absolutely.

Nothing. There was clearly miscommunication somewhere between the organisers of the event, the venue and the security.

"Harass" is how you felt. It probably didn't describe what he actually did. He only knew what you told him.

As was his job.

The only think clear from this thread is your attitude, not anyone elses. Security guards work damn hard. You might have gotten a bad one. But from the tone of your posts I suspect you just plain out disrespect the job.

The solution is easy. Tell the organisers to tell the venue that photography of all types is allowed. Or you could not do this (which you didn't): and let this happen again and again and again.

I think his problem is that the security guard was rude from the get-go (as he stated). If the whole venue banned photography, then the rent-a-cop should have said so, but he did not. There is obviously no miss communication here as the security guard left him alone after he said he had permission from the competition. If no photography at the venue was permitted the guard would have said so.

After the OP already stated that he is allowed to take pictures, the rent-a-cop proceeded to harass others after being told photography is permitted at the competition. This is just another case of rent-a-cop wanting to feel important. As for exercising his discretion, if it is your job to enforce a rule then enforce it. Otherwise you just look like fool and made out to be a dick.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2014 21:42 |  #22

Keith_D wrote in post #16909903 (external link)
I think his problem is that the security guard was rude from the get-go (as he stated). If the whole venue banned photography, then the rent-a-cop should have said so, but he did not. There is obviously no miss communication here as the security guard left him alone after he said he had permission from the competition. If no photography at the venue was permitted the guard would have said so.

After the OP already stated that he is allowed to take pictures, the rent-a-cop proceeded to harass others after being told photography is permitted at the competition. This is just another case of rent-a-cop wanting to feel important. As for exercising his discretion, if it is your job to enforce a rule then enforce it. Otherwise you just look like fool and made out to be a dick.

...there is nothing "obvious" about the OP. In general witness testimony is notoriously unreliable: and while I have no doubt the OP feels he is giving us a fair rundown on what happened, there are always two sides of the story, and we have only heard one side. I don't think it is fair to ascribe the motive of "wanting to feel important" to a security guard on the basis of the words written here. This keeps happening to the OP: the simplest solution is to ask the organisers to communicate his concerns to the appropriate people at the venue.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jul 2013

May 16, 2014 22:06 |  #23

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16904621 (external link)
LMAO!....I guess you missed the part where he kept harrassing everyone else! Theres your news flash!

Like others have said, perhaps he was doing what he was told to do. Your battle was over, why the concern with his activity after your conversation was over? The world is filled with different people. Not everyone you encounter is going to treat you like your mom.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 16, 2014 22:32 as a reply to  @ Dave3222's post |  #24

Why does everyone feel the need to put the OP down, and defend the guard?

This happens all the time, and it's a PITA. People see you with a big lens/ nice camera... you're stereotyped! Period!

Kel
Gear

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 17, 2014 01:03 |  #25

1Tanker wrote in post #16910014 (external link)

This happens all the time, and it's a PITA. People see you with a big lens/ nice camera... you're stereotyped! Period!

It's not the big lens and nice camera per se, it's all the leering and drooling that attracts attention.

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 17, 2014 11:05 |  #26

Dave3222 wrote in post #16909968 (external link)
Like others have said, perhaps he was doing what he was told to do. Your battle was over, why the concern with his activity after your conversation was over? The world is filled with different people. Not everyone you encounter is going to treat you like your mom.

My battle was over with him yes and I went about my business. The concern came later after I realized he continued to harass and tell other people they could not shoot.Many of them friends and fellow dance parents.

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 17, 2014 11:13 |  #27

banquetbear wrote in post #16909929 (external link)
...there is nothing "obvious" about the OP. In general witness testimony is notoriously unreliable: and while I have no doubt the OP feels he is giving us a fair rundown on what happened, there are always two sides of the story, and we have only heard one side. I don't think it is fair to ascribe the motive of "wanting to feel important" to a security guard on the basis of the words written here. This keeps happening to the OP: the simplest solution is to ask the organisers to communicate his concerns to the appropriate people at the venue.

He was the only one out of maybe half a dozen security personal that did this at the venue. If the general thought of the security personnel was that photography was not allowed why then didn't the other 5 officers do the same thing. Why then did he leave me after I made it clear he was wrong yet continue to harass others ? You don't need to answer ,everyone who was actually there and experienced this first hand has a pretty good idea.

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 17, 2014 11:20 |  #28

1Tanker wrote in post #16910014 (external link)

Thanks. I too am surprised that I am somehow the bad guy and the security guard was just doing his job. Unfortunately he stopped many people from taking pictures for no good reason. Sad!

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 17, 2014 11:41 |  #29

banquetbear wrote in post #16904623 (external link)
...absolutely.

As was his job.

Sorry you feel the need to defend a person who was extremely rude and did in fact harass not only me but many others at the venue. The fact that you were not there makes you uniquely qualified to judge and assume. My attitude is directed at the single security officer not security guards as a whole. Somehow in your world the security guard works hard so it gives him the right to be rude to people. Maybe you did read my post however it is very obvious you did not comprehend it.

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jul 2013

May 17, 2014 12:01 |  #30

Its sounds like the issue is really about how you were treated by the security guard. Some people ARE rude but it is what it is. If the fact that he was harassing others bothered you, you should have dealt with it at the time. And you're right, we were not there but using terms like "rent-a-cop" kind of qualifies your perception of the incident.

sponsored links

4,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
Well it happened again!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.