Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 May 2014 (Saturday) 21:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help me pick a neck strap and holster for convention shooting

GeekTechLive
55 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 17, 2014 21:24 |  #1

I have been getting into convention shooting the last couple of years. These are comic conventions where I am taking cosplay photos. Im really getting into it with all the challenges since I am still learning, but as I am getting older I am lugging a full sling around and when the camera is out my neck starts to hurt after a while.
My setup:
7D gripped
15-85 usually always on the camera
430Ex II speed light and diffuser

I used to take extra lenses because I wanted to always be prepared but after a few of these conventions coupled with the fact that I am taking hallway shots for the most part when I can find an opening in the crowds I really never change my lens now.

So.... If I wanted to "run and gun" so to speak and be pretty light while on the convention floor, what kind of bag would you say I should use? also, I am still using the original neck strap that came with the 7D even though i bought the camera in 2010 (I'm cheap and probably dumb :roll eyes: ) any recommendations for that would also be helpful.

Lastly, if you want to see some of my recent shots I would be happy to share.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a Flickr account HERE (external link) my name IS Chris & these are ALL my images. My Avatar name and Flickr name are confusing people ???<shrug>
Gripped 7D with a Rokinon 8mm, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF-S 15-85 F/3.5-5.6 and the 18-135 Kit lens .

sponsored links
Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 17, 2014 21:50 |  #2

First to save weight and bulk I would ditch the grip. I have never used a grip and never needed the extra batteries built in.

I seldom use the neck strap. I use the wrist strap (external link). If I do use the neck strap It is the op tech (external link). Sometimes I use the http://optechusa.com/b​ino-cam-harness.html (external link) All these make the camera easier on the neck/back

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

GeekTechLive
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 17, 2014 22:06 as a reply to  @ Skip Souza's post |  #3

not a bad thought. I like the feel of the 7D with the grip. I have large hands and the grip makes the 7D fit like a glove. With out the grip is feels like it will slip out of my hands. I also will switch up between portrait and landscape but because its a lot of people posing I am usually holding the camera vertical.
Thats really the best reasons I use the grip.

I have a Flickr account HERE (external link) my name IS Chris & these are ALL my images. My Avatar name and Flickr name are confusing people ???<shrug>
Gripped 7D with a Rokinon 8mm, Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF-S 15-85 F/3.5-5.6 and the 18-135 Kit lens .

cbowlsby
175 posts
Joined May 2013

May 17, 2014 23:45 |  #4

How about a sling like BlackRapid or similar? Then you don't even need a bag.

feedback

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,147 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 18, 2014 00:40 |  #5

As I get older, my back gets worse (slight scoliosis). I have been using the Op/Tech sling for few years and it was a big improvement over the traditional "neck strap". Last week I picked up the ThinkTank Belt System, and I think I may be in love after just a few times of use. Also, today I found that I can get the the Spider Holster adapter kit to use right on my ThinkTank belt. Couple that with a decent hand strap, and this may just become my dream set up.

ThinkTank belt. (external link)
ThinkTank Skin set bags (external link)
Spider Holster for ThinkTank belt (external link)
Op/Tech sling strap (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

May 18, 2014 00:55 |  #6

Sling such as a Black Rapid, Carry Speed, Luma, or the Op/Tech.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,386 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 18, 2014 00:57 |  #7

BR sling or Crumpler wrist strap. That's my gig. I use the strap 80% of the time. Very comfortable. You should be able to cruise the Con for 2-3 hours with no problem.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,430 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

May 18, 2014 07:52 |  #8

As I get older, no neck strap, no bags of any kind are painless to me. I ditched them all now in favor of Cotton Carrier Vest and Think Tank Belt system.

For your needs, I'd take a look at either the Cotton Carrier Vest (alone or with the Think Tank Belt) or the aforementioned Spider Holster with the Think Tank Belt since you seem to want to keep your grip. There's also Peak Design Capture Clip but with your grip and the flash, it might be getting a bit too heavy for the Clip.

My personal choice, and the most comfortable of anything I've tried on my aging and aching body, is the Cotton Carrier Vest. The only thing I didn't like about it was it's "looks" that made me feel uncomfortable using it in public. However, with a very light summer photographer's vest on top, as seen here, I no longer have that issue and feel very comfortable using the CC Vest anywhere now:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,386 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 18, 2014 10:52 |  #9

I like that.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

godashram
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 18, 2014 19:39 |  #10

Loving the thought of the thread. I myself am still in the beginning stages of what GeekTechLive is doing, but with video. While the hand grip idea is good, I'm a geek first, and sometimes need both hands free to enjoy many things at these cons. With SDCC coming up, I tend to start walking more (lost almost 10lbs last year at SDCC, and my ankle hated me for it!) AND read up on every tip and trick for photography and video i can find to make what I do easier and fun!

I currently use a no name neck strap that i can wrap around my wrist when using the camera or just drop it around my neck when I need both hands free.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 19, 2014 00:21 |  #11

Optech neck strap - i still think it the best valued strap at <$20

Grip is a personal preference. I don't like it in general and i usually don't buy it, until I got the 6d which has a comfortable grip for my 'small hands'

Gearlist

GeekTechLive
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 21, 2014 10:41 |  #12

godashram wrote in post #16913670 (external link)
Loving the thought of the thread. I myself am still in the beginning stages of what GeekTechLive is doing, but with video. While the hand grip idea is good, I'm a geek first, and sometimes need both hands free to enjoy many things at these cons. With SDCC coming up, I tend to start walking more (lost almost 10lbs last year at SDCC, and my ankle hated me for it!) AND read up on every tip and trick for photography and video i can find to make what I do easier and fun!

I currently use a no name neck strap that i can wrap around my wrist when using the camera or just drop it around my neck when I need both hands free.

I bought the cotton carrier. OMG. It's gonna make SDCC so much more enjoyable.

Godashram, if you are going to sdcc this year maybe we can meet up.

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 21, 2014 11:06 |  #13

SYS wrote in post #16912447 (external link)
For your needs, I'd take a look at either the Cotton Carrier Vest (alone or with the Think Tank Belt) or the aforementioned Spider Holster with the Think Tank Belt since you seem to want to keep your grip.

Why does the Spider Holster require a Think Tank Belt for keeping a grip?

I use my Spider with 2 different gripped bodies no issues.

Also OP: Glad you found a solution you like.

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,430 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

May 21, 2014 11:09 |  #14

jmikolich wrote in post #16919936 (external link)

Never said it was "required."

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2014 11:10 |  #15

jmikolich wrote in post #16919936 (external link)

For me, Spider Holster on a Think Tank Belt offers more support and comfort. For me, gripped bodies with the Spider attached to your pants belt would drag it down.

If you're using the belt/pad that Spider offers, you'll get the same support.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

sponsored links

2,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
help me pick a neck strap and holster for convention shooting
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.