Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boston POTN Meet (3)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2014 09:44 |  #1921

Not bad. My guess is that you had difficulty focusing because you're shooting into a low saturation situation. When I shoot in the dark or into a bright light, I certainly find it harder to focus.

Did you accomplish what you wanted to accomplish?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 19, 2014 09:52 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #1922

i think so...with one caveat. i got what i wanted, however im not 100% satisfied. i dont think i achieved a "showpiece" quality shot...however i definitely got shots that will make the client happy. a few limitations i can think of are these...

#1 lack of experience in directing models. not knowing how to explain poses...simply not knowing how to compose model posing...etc...

#2 equipment deficiencies. partly my fault. i had an equipment malfunction on shot #10 which threatened the entire shoot. i let go of the camera without securing the ball head on the tripod. L lens plus external flash. camera thrust downward hard and ripped itself from the base of the extended grip. i fixed it on the fly with a utility knife, however it definitely shoot my confidence.

focusing. 50 1.8 flat out is awful for auto focusing. not sure if its the copy i have, or what, but it has always been my experience that when light is less than absolutely perfect, the nifty 50 falls on its face. the rebel body also does not have the most capable focusing system either. that combination led to a number of good shots that are simply OOF beyond my own acceptable limits.

otherwise the shoot was pretty successful. got some great shots that she will be happy with. i look forward to working with more models in the future to hone my personal skills when interacting with them, guiding poses...etc...

adamsheehy
485 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 19, 2014 11:11 |  #1923

Down_Shift wrote in post #16910282 (external link)
Oh and does anyone have a boom extension arm for a light stand that I can borrow for the week? I want to try to get a small square softbox above my subject.

Yep. Need anything else?

flickr (external link)

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 19, 2014 17:31 |  #1924

adamsheehy wrote in post #16914940 (external link)
Yep. Need anything else?

Adam. I'm going to have to bug you again. The cheaper arms are all oos.

On another note. Got a text this morning that The globe published my photo from a concert last weekend. Yay

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i46.photobucket​.com …4668325EA_zps3r​oz8b1o.jpg (external link)

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,386 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 19, 2014 18:35 |  #1925

Good job.

Can I ask y'all what you have for cable/internet packages? I'm currently at $179/month with Comcast and it's really putting a dent in my wallet.

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 19, 2014 20:18 as a reply to  @ sansational's post |  #1926

i have comcast basic. whatever gets me espn, hgtv, and bravo...as thats all i really watch. and i also have comcast blast internet. total runs me 110/mo. i had internet only for about a year, but the wife forced her hand and had to get HGTV. no cable was not bad actually. in-fact, i prefer it, tbh there is nothing on cable anyway. all the good shows that used to be on discovery channel and history, are now on science or nat geo. food network is always "chopped", and nothing else. certainly no chef cooking shows like what they used to have with emeril. cable is so not worth it its unfunny. we used to buy the shows we wanted to watch. sons of anarchy, 2 bucks an episode. about 25 bucks a season. vs 50 bucks a month for a basic cable subscription. we would get a new show once a month, and we have netflix also...so about 30 bucks a month to watch what we want to watch, when we want to watch it, and commercial free. cable sucks. if you're thinking of cutting the cord, just do it. you'll be glad you did.

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,386 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 19, 2014 20:40 |  #1927

Yeah, looking to step down into maybe basic cable, high speed internet with either Chromecast or Amazon Fire.

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 19, 2014 23:56 |  #1928

t3ichef wrote in post #16914783 (external link)
i think so...with one caveat. i got what i wanted, however im not 100% satisfied. i dont think i achieved a "showpiece" quality shot...however i definitely got shots that will make the client happy. a few limitations i can think of are these...

#1 lack of experience in directing models. not knowing how to explain poses...simply not knowing how to compose model posing...etc...

#2 equipment deficiencies. partly my fault. i had an equipment malfunction on shot #10 which threatened the entire shoot. i let go of the camera without securing the ball head on the tripod. L lens plus external flash. camera thrust downward hard and ripped itself from the base of the extended grip. i fixed it on the fly with a utility knife, however it definitely shoot my confidence.

focusing. 50 1.8 flat out is awful for auto focusing. not sure if its the copy i have, or what, but it has always been my experience that when light is less than absolutely perfect, the nifty 50 falls on its face. the rebel body also does not have the most capable focusing system either. that combination led to a number of good shots that are simply OOF beyond my own acceptable limits.

otherwise the shoot was pretty successful. got some great shots that she will be happy with. i look forward to working with more models in the future to hone my personal skills when interacting with them, guiding poses...etc...

1) I think peter hurley said "90% therapist, 10% photographer". it's pretty true.

2) I also noticed you were shooting at 1/60s @ ~97mm. Even with IS, you're going to want a much higher shutter on a cropped body to insure any movement blur (maybe not by you, but the subject might be a bit shakey) I might be doing the math wrong in my head.. 97mm on a crop 1.6x is like 150mm? You'd want atleast a 1/160s. I try to keep everything on the faster shutter side to make sure I don't get any motion blur.

Both are not very clear, but I'm going to blame it on shooting into the sun. The background is waaay brighter than your subject. That makes it hard to get focus. I usually go MF. If not you can always get a flash and either do some fill or use it for focus assist.

I think you brought up the fill light a bit on the pics to get the subject a bit brighter. That's also an issue because you start getting weird banding which makes the subject unclear as well. I always pixel peep after a few shots to make sure I'm not wasting any shots.

Since you're blurring the background out anyways. Why not crop/frame a bit closer? All of that blurred out real estate is kind of taking away from the subject. You still get that nice sunset/gradient in a tighter crop, you won't lose anything.

She's slouching/bending her neck in the second picture I posted. I tried to hide it by a tighter crop.

The blown out highlights of the background hurts my eyes after staring at it for a while. Did a few quick edits..

Also that random whatever plant thing is sicking out of her head in #2. I tried to do a quick clone out. The strays work in #1 but I think they take away from the picture a bit on #2. Did a quick removal.

IMAGE: http://i60.tinypic.com/2vb0veq.jpg

IMAGE: http://i62.tinypic.com/2l89lye.jpg

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 20, 2014 00:08 |  #1929

sansational wrote in post #16915776 (external link)
Good job.

Can I ask y'all what you have for cable/internet packages? I'm currently at $179/month with Comcast and it's really putting a dent in my wallet.

I don't have cable since I only have a projector and no TV. (I watch webtv, appletv, amazon, netflix etc from PS3, appletv, HTPC)

I have the basic internet they offer which is plenty fast for everything. My bill is $34 bucks after taxes a month. I'm on a 2 year contract. I was paying $47 for verizon basic DSL for 6 years. It sucked.

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 20, 2014 07:47 as a reply to  @ Down_Shift's post |  #1930

thanks for your reply/critique.

so i had my 430exII on camera, stepped all the way down to 1/64 power. i wanted just a touch of fill and catch lights, so that my subject wasn't so underexposed. the shots i have with no flash display a clear lack of exposure on the subjects face.

i like the crop on #1. i have a lot more pictures to sift through, but i'd say a good 50-60% are OOF or just slightly blurry.

which brings me to my next point. manual mode. i love to shoot in manual mode, however, i find i get much more consistent pictures when shooting in either Tv or Av modes, as well as setting ISO to auto. the issues i run into are, in general i dont like anything over 800iso, and my camera loves to jump up in that range. with flash connected, iso is limited to 400iso. also with flash connected, my shutter speed cannot exceed 1/200. so shooting with a 200mm lens on a crop body with fill flash is a chore for a non-is lens and a meatball of a photographer like myself. lol.

anyway, thanks for the critique. i got a bunch of awesome shots, but the one she really wanted which was this sun flare shot, i dont know, im just not happy with the way it turned out. i guess i should've gone to Tv mode and got some guaranteed sharp shots before calling it a day.

SullyMass
84 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 20, 2014 07:49 |  #1931

Down_Shift wrote in post #16916399 (external link)
I don't have cable since I only have a projector and no TV. (I watch webtv, appletv, amazon, netflix etc from PS3, appletv, HTPC)

I have the basic internet they offer which is plenty fast for everything. My bill is $34 bucks after taxes a month. I'm on a 2 year contract. I was paying $47 for verizon basic DSL for 6 years. It sucked.

I knew a G35 that went zoom-zoom and went plenty -fast! ;)

Small world, heya Matt!

5D III | 7D | 450D - 50mm f/1.4 | 24-105L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 20, 2014 07:51 as a reply to  @ t3ichef's post |  #1932

here are two i actually like. tell me what you think.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 20, 2014 11:31 |  #1933

SullyMass wrote in post #16916871 (external link)
I knew a G35 that went zoom-zoom and went plenty -fast! ;)

Small world, heya Matt!

bw!bw!bw!bw!:cool::cool::cool:

Hey Sull!!!! Long time no see my fellow slaya brothaaaa

i know mike lurks around too. i saw him this past weekend for a few times. still kickn it

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 20, 2014 11:37 |  #1934

t3ichef wrote in post #16916868 (external link)
thanks for your reply/critique.

so i had my 430exII on camera, stepped all the way down to 1/64 power. i wanted just a touch of fill and catch lights, so that my subject wasn't so underexposed. the shots i have with no flash display a clear lack of exposure on the subjects face.

i like the crop on #1. i have a lot more pictures to sift through, but i'd say a good 50-60% are OOF or just slightly blurry.

which brings me to my next point. manual mode. i love to shoot in manual mode, however, i find i get much more consistent pictures when shooting in either Tv or Av modes, as well as setting ISO to auto. the issues i run into are, in general i dont like anything over 800iso, and my camera loves to jump up in that range. with flash connected, iso is limited to 400iso. also with flash connected, my shutter speed cannot exceed 1/200. so shooting with a 200mm lens on a crop body with fill flash is a chore for a non-is lens and a meatball of a photographer like myself. lol.

anyway, thanks for the critique. i got a bunch of awesome shots, but the one she really wanted which was this sun flare shot, i dont know, im just not happy with the way it turned out. i guess i should've gone to Tv mode and got some guaranteed sharp shots before calling it a day.

ya, i'd definitely try to rely on the flash and a better shutter speed. My keeper rate is soo much better when i keep the shutter quick. Pixel peep and delete OOF right away, keeps post work much quicker.

Shoot 85mm+ but keep it under 200mm. Keep shutter 1/160 or 1/200. Adjust iso between 100-400,aperture, adjust flash distance/modifiers/pow​er to get the wanted look. I find M mode alot easier to manage when you keep a few of the factors in play constant.

#1 looks like you did some serious fill and eye enhancement.

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2014 12:58 |  #1935

I didn't check the EXIF (can't at work), but I saw from a post above you were shooting 1/60 or whatever below 1/200. There's no reason for you to need to dial-down your flash all the way to 1/64. Like someone said, your subject is not as exposed as the background. Choose a shutterspeed that will let you get sharp images and then decide how to set both exposure on the subject and the background.

Here's my step-by-step to Manual for this situation -- others feel free to correct me:

1. Set the camera to Manual Mode.
  2. Set your desired shutter speed. Generally, the faster the better (in case your subject moves) and don't go below the handholdable shutter speed (inverse of your focal length).
  3. Expose for the background before worrying about your subject. Choose the ISO that gives you proper exposure. Since you don't like going above ISO 800, then when you reach that point, make adjustments to your shutter speed accordingly.
  4. Now set your flash output. Unless you have an ETTL flash trigger, put it on Manual. This is where I play around with output settings to get proper exposure of the subject. I don't think your 1/64 would cut it against the strong backlight of the setting sun.

Hope that helps.

On the two images that you like: Image 1 - I'd crop at 3rd button down on her shirt her chest for 2 reasons -- 1. It draws the viewer closer to her face and 2. It looks like the tie on her blouse is in better focus than her eyes; moving it down in the frame draws less attention to that. Image 2 - I just don't know why the top of her head is cut off.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

757,484 views & 233 likes for this thread
Boston POTN Meet (3)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.