Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 25 Feb 2006 (Saturday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2014 21:15 |  #3901

CRCchemist wrote in post #16911793 (external link)
Editing sports photographs is just like editing any other editorial shot. It should be minimal and not take more than a few minutes per photograph at the very most. You're basically doing 2 things with every shot: tonal corrections and color corrections. Anything else is not permitted. And to be honest, the IPTC and EXIF usually takes more time than the tonal and color corrections do because you have to look at the photo and figure out who or what is in it before you mark it as finished.

Like I said, spend a few minutes at the most, but most shots will take less than 30 seconds to edit.

That's how I edit since I go so quickly through photos. I still have much more to go through since we had a couple games I was able to visit. But I'll try and go more towards 30 seconds than the other way :-P

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 18, 2014 02:37 |  #3902

disneydork06 wrote in post #16911804 (external link)
That's how I edit since I go so quickly through photos. I still have much more to go through since we had a couple games I was able to visit. But I'll try and go more towards 30 seconds than the other way :-P

I forgot to say that the first step is to cull your photos and delete the bad ones. My deliverable is an average of 25 images that go up to the wire service. Lots of culling going on, obviously. Not all the way down to 25, but I'd say about 50% get thrown in the trash so I don't waste time on them. Then from the remaining 50%, I pick the best 25 or so, and spend 30 seconds on each one getting tones and color right. Then I spend about a minute doing finalized IPTC and EXIF on each of those 25 photos. So in about 30 minutes I have all photos done.

Since you're doing this for the Maxpreps people, you probably want a deliverable of 1 to 3 images per player, per team. So that will run you about 160 images maximum if each team is 25 people and you have a few extra shots in there. Should be done editing after 3 hours behind the computer. Divide up your total time spent shooting and editing, plus gas cost to drive to a game to figure out how much you need to sell to make the rate you want. I revert to my previous statement that you will probably not find Maxpreps a very profitable venture once you take all this into account. But as I stated earlier, I can't say from experience. I never wanted to get involved in Maxpreps because I didn't think it would be worth my time, and the images I've seen produced by their photographers were not at a level of quality that I wanted to be associated with.

-AP-
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

May 18, 2014 08:30 |  #3903

vnitto wrote in post #16911639 (external link)
A couple from Deer Valley Airport today

Great stuff!

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2014 17:50 |  #3904

CRCchemist wrote in post #16912224 (external link)
I forgot to say that the first step is to cull your photos and delete the bad ones. My deliverable is an average of 25 images that go up to the wire service. Lots of culling going on, obviously. Not all the way down to 25, but I'd say about 50% get thrown in the trash so I don't waste time on them. Then from the remaining 50%, I pick the best 25 or so, and spend 30 seconds on each one getting tones and color right. Then I spend about a minute doing finalized IPTC and EXIF on each of those 25 photos. So in about 30 minutes I have all photos done.

Since you're doing this for the Maxpreps people, you probably want a deliverable of 1 to 3 images per player, per team. So that will run you about 160 images maximum if each team is 25 people and you have a few extra shots in there. Should be done editing after 3 hours behind the computer. Divide up your total time spent shooting and editing, plus gas cost to drive to a game to figure out how much you need to sell to make the rate you want. I revert to my previous statement that you will probably not find Maxpreps a very profitable venture once you take all this into account. But as I stated earlier, I can't say from experience. I never wanted to get involved in Maxpreps because I didn't think it would be worth my time, and the images I've seen produced by their photographers were not at a level of quality that I wanted to be associated with.

I'm not looking to be making that much money. If I could profit some from all the photos I take then I'd be happy. I mostly shoot for the yearbook and magazine classes. I'm there to help and give advice to our photojournalism students. I wish I took enough photos to try and make money. I really just want some credentials to shoot at pro sporting events. Since I get June and July mostly off, it would be great for me to be able to go out and shoot. I am hoping maxpreps might be just the start for that but I don't put in enough time to get it actually done.
Since I teach and spend a lot of time behind my computer I get a little apprehensive to start editing because then I'd be behind the computer too much. Grading is a lot and adding editing (to me) seems like too much. I just need the motivation to get it all started and finished. And a desk at home, I do too much editing at sbux. :-P

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 19, 2014 00:43 |  #3905

disneydork06 wrote in post #16913486 (external link)
I'm not looking to be making that much money. If I could profit some from all the photos I take then I'd be happy. I mostly shoot for the yearbook and magazine classes. I'm there to help and give advice to our photojournalism students. I wish I took enough photos to try and make money. I really just want some credentials to shoot at pro sporting events. Since I get June and July mostly off, it would be great for me to be able to go out and shoot. I am hoping maxpreps might be just the start for that but I don't put in enough time to get it actually done.
Since I teach and spend a lot of time behind my computer I get a little apprehensive to start editing because then I'd be behind the computer too much. Grading is a lot and adding editing (to me) seems like too much. I just need the motivation to get it all started and finished. And a desk at home, I do too much editing at sbux. :-P

Pro sport events are exclusive, and you need to be employed by an editorial stock agency that has hired you to shoot for them. Otherwise, a media outlet can hire you. Those events are also governed and restricted by the respective commission that oversees the event such as NFL or NBA. College sports are much easier to get into, but college sports images don't sell for as much.

Of course, the first step is getting the motivation. Working in a pro sports event is very rigorous work. If you aren't motivated to edit now, you'll be blown away by how fast you have to cull, edit, and apply IPTC and EXIF to the shots during halftime and after the game ends. You literally have 15 minutes during halftime to run into the press room, pick the 5-10 images you are going to submit, do what you need to with them, upload them to the FTP server where your editor can access them, and then get back down on the field before the game resumes. Then do it again after the game ends. I use two cards: one for the first half and another for the second half. And I work off of my card instead of downloading into my computer to save time. No procrastination is possible. If I get a money shot that can sell for a high amount, I still have it when I download it on my computer at home.

I'd also recommend (in addition to purchasing Photo Mechanic), that you purchase a new 5D or 1D body because they let you add a star to your best shots while you're still down on the field and that will save you a significant amount of time on your culling process.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2014 02:11 |  #3906

CRCchemist wrote in post #16914095 (external link)
Pro sport events are exclusive, and you need to be employed by an editorial stock agency that has hired you to shoot for them . . .

You left out some of the finer details, like the part where you are on the sidelines of Sundevil Stadium for a night game and just about to get that "money" shot on the sidelines with your finger poised over the shutter of your 1DX or D4s that has an $11,000 dollar 200mm - 400mm f4 lens attached on a $400 gitzo monopod and your brand new Macbook Pro with with a couple of solid-state drives installed and lots of RAM plus all the necessary software is waiting for all those great images sitting in the pressroom when all of the sudden an ASU alumni who by virtue of donating some money to the college has been given a sideline pass, steps right in front of you and raises his iPhone to take a selfie blocking your "money" shot and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

So, you move to the other side of the field where the visiting team is but find several "kids" shooting with either a T2i and a 70mm - 300mm f6.3 lens or one of those fixed-lens point-and-shoot cameras . . .

Now you know you are shooting at ISO 3200 and f2.8 so you wonder what these kids could possibly be getting with the equipment they have, but they are sporting the same "media" "photo" credential as you so hey, whatever.

When for some reason, maybe shear luck you manage to be on the side of the field where the "play" of the game actually happens and you "read" the game just right and get the "money" shot of the star-player getting hit and his helmet flying off and you managed to get the exposure just right and the image is in focus (which is not always as simple as it sounds) and you can clearly see the player's eyes so you "voice tag" the image (record audio right in your camera identifying the player and his jersey number, as well as when and where the play took place and the results of the play). You think to yourself, "this is it, my big payoff" and begin moving very quickly to the media room to get the "money" shot on the wires so some national publication will pick it up and you can roll in the big stack of cash you will receive for this amazing one-of-a-kind image that you have just captured.

Out of the corner of your eye you noticed another photographer just a foot or so away from you when you took this "money" shot and now that you think about it, he is the staffer who shoots for Getty Images, and almost at the exact moment you "voice tagged" your image you saw that the Getty photographer "voice tagged" his image and took the card from his camera handing it to his "card runner" - a guy who's only job is to stand behind the Getty, or Sport Illustrated guys and run their cards into the media room where an editor awaits to crop, tone and caption the image and put it up on the "wires" to make it available to all national publications.

By another stroke of luck your image is unique enough to publish and Sports Illustrated picks it up for web use. Six months later you get a check for your "money" shot which cost Sports Illustrated $25 to license for web use and your cut is 50% so your payday for your "money" shot is $12.50!

The thing is, you can't wait till next week to do it all again . . .

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

sundevilstormin
Goldmember
1,086 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 19, 2014 02:26 |  #3907

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16914201 (external link)
You left out some of the finer details, like the part where you are on the sidelines of Sundevil Stadium for a night game and just about to get that "money" shot on the sidelines with your finger poised over the shutter of your 1DX or D4s that has an $11,000 dollar 200mm - 400mm f4 lens attached on a $400 gitzo monopod and your brand new Macbook Pro with with a couple of solid-state drives installed and lots of RAM plus all the necessary software is waiting for all those great images sitting in the pressroom when all of the sudden an ASU alumni who by virtue of donating some money to the college has been given a sideline pass, steps right in front of you and raises his iPhone to take a selfie blocking your "money" shot and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

So, you move to the other side of the field where the visiting team is but find several "kids" shooting with either a T2i and a 70mm - 300mm f6.3 lens or one of those fixed-lens point-and-shoot cameras . . .

Now you know you are shooting at ISO 3200 and f2.8 so you wonder what these kids could possibly be getting with the equipment they have, but they are sporting the same "media" "photo" credential as you so hey, whatever.

When for some reason, maybe shear luck you manage to be on the side of the field where the "play" of the game actually happens and you "read" the game just right and get the "money" shot of the star-player getting hit and his helmet flying off and you managed to get the exposure just right and the image is in focus (which is not always as simple as it sounds) and you can clearly see the player's eyes so you "voice tag" the image (record audio right in your camera identifying the player and his jersey number, as well as when and where the play took place and the results of the play). You think to yourself, "this is it, my big payoff" and begin moving very quickly to the media room to get the "money" shot on the wires so some national publication will pick it up and you can roll in the big stack of cash you will receive for this amazing one-of-a-kind image that you have just captured.

Out of the corner of your eye you noticed another photographer just a foot or so away from you when you took this "money" shot and now that you think about it, he is the staffer who shoots for Getty Images, and almost at the exact moment you "voice tagged" your image you saw that the Getty photographer "voice tagged" his image and took the card from his camera handing it to his "card runner" - a guy who's only job is to stand behind the Getty, or Sport Illustrated guys and run their cards into the media room where an editor awaits to crop, tone and caption the image and put it up on the "wires" to make it available to all national publications.

By another stroke of luck your image is unique enough to publish and Sports Illustrated picks it up for web use. Six months later you get a check for your "money" shot which cost Sports Illustrated $25 to license for web use and your cut is 50% so your payday for your "money" shot is $12.50!

The thing is, you can't wait till next week to do it all again . . .

bw!bw!bw!bw!bw!

BeyondTheNormPhoto (external link)
Zenit 35mm film, Fuji GAZ645, Fuji XT1, Fuji XT3, 10-24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55, 50-200, various OCF units

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 19, 2014 02:48 |  #3908

Not quite how it all works, AZAlphaDog, but you wrote a fun story.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 19, 2014 02:56 as a reply to  @ CRCchemist's post |  #3909

Exactly how it all works, and you know it!

I have a reasonably good imagination, but you can't make that kind of stuff up.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 19, 2014 09:57 |  #3910

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #16914243 (external link)
Exactly how it all works, and you know it!

I have a reasonably good imagination, but you can't make that kind of stuff up.

LOL I've never seen kids running around courtside at a Suns game using T3i's. Nor have I ever had an NFL donor taking selfies in front of me in the endzone of a Cardinals game. And if I did, I'd tell him to get the #*^%! out of my way and I'd have security remove him. Haha.

The SI guys do have runners, but all their images are SI exclusive so it doesn't affect anyone else. Getty works the same way we do in Corbis. It's a small club, nobody is trying to step on anyone else's toes.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2014 16:08 |  #3911

CRCchemist wrote in post #16914791 (external link)
LOL I've never seen kids running around courtside at a Suns game using T3i's. Nor have I ever had an NFL donor taking selfies in front of me in the endzone of a Cardinals game. And if I did, I'd tell him to get the #*^%! out of my way and I'd have security remove him. Haha.

The SI guys do have runners, but all their images are SI exclusive so it doesn't affect anyone else. Getty works the same way we do in Corbis. It's a small club, nobody is trying to step on anyone else's toes.

That's why he mentioned Sun Devil Stadium. I did see some interesting gear when I got to shoot at the stadium at UofA for when NAU played them quite a few years ago when I was on staff for The Lumberjack.

Ryan

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 19, 2014 16:09 |  #3912

sundevilstormin wrote in post #16914216 (external link)
bw!bw!bw!bw!bw!

Agree!

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 19, 2014 19:55 |  #3913

disneydork06 wrote in post #16915502 (external link)
That's why he mentioned Sun Devil Stadium. I did see some interesting gear when I got to shoot at the stadium at UofA for when NAU played them quite a few years ago when I was on staff for The Lumberjack.

I thought you said you wanted to shoot pro sports?

If you want to walk in and shoot a college game, you don't need Maxpreps or any credentials except to call ahead and tell them you are on assignment and give them your name and the company you work for (which could be your own photography company.)

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 20, 2014 15:51 |  #3914

CRCchemist wrote in post #16915921 (external link)
I thought you said you wanted to shoot pro sports?

If you want to walk in and shoot a college game, you don't need Maxpreps or any credentials except to call ahead and tell them you are on assignment and give them your name and the company you work for (which could be your own photography company.)

Really? That would work?

Ryan

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 20, 2014 20:08 |  #3915

disneydork06 wrote in post #16917941 (external link)
Really? That would work?

LOL! For an ASU game? Yeah. You call the media relations and tell them you work for whatever your photography studio is and you're on assignment freelance, they'll let you in.

Don't start doing the stuff AZAlphaDog said people are doing like taking selfies and stepping out onto the field during a play if you don't know the rules.

sponsored links

604,456 views & 280 likes for this thread
Another Arizona POTN get together (4)?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.