Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 19 May 2014 (Monday) 17:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

anyone here try taking "self wedding picture"?

karl2002m
42 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2014 17:41 |  #1

HI guys, i recently got engaged and our wedding is in Sept, as a photographer myself, i want to do this in some special way, i was thinking...what if i take my wedding pictures with a groom's perspective?
anyone who did this before please share some experience..:)

sponsored links
rivas8409
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 19, 2014 17:58 |  #2

Call me crazy...but this does not sound like a very good idea, AT ALL! Interesting idea, but not a good one. Especially not from a married stand point. Please don't take offense to this, but it sounds more like a last minute ditch effort to save some cash on your wedding. It's not bad to try to save some green on your wedding, but maybe in other ways.

Believe me, you'll be too busy to take photos. We just did my daughter's quinceanera this past Saturday and my wife insisted that I take photos. I fought, and fought, and told her that I know I wouldn't have time...and alas I was right. I was able to take about 20 photos the entire night. I was just too busy with the party.

Imagine this....
DJ: "It's time to cut the cake...."
Wife: "Let's go cut some cake and let's cherish these memories forever!"
You: "Wait! I need to get my camera and take photos of the cake cutting so we can have these photos in our album."
Wife: death stare.

I hope you can see where I'm going with that little monolouge. Is your wife going to be the only one in the photos? What about photos of your first kiss? First dance? Garter & bouquet? Formal portraits? Are you going to be standing at the alter with your DSLR and your face buried behind the viewfinder?

It's a novel idea, but I don't think it's in your best interests to be your own wedding photographer.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,656 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2014 18:28 |  #3

At your own wedding, the priorities should be with your bride, family and friends, not with your vocation or avocation. Agreed it would be an interesting perspective, but it would not be appropriate or practical.

I once photographed my daughter's wedding. There were particular reasons for that. The photos were barely OK, and could have been a lot better. As the bride's father I was too stressed and distracted to do a better job.

Plus, as Rivas said, you will be too busy. (So will be your hired photographer.)

Many couples underestimate the time required for a wedding. Leave some extra time, and keep things simple if possible.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2014 18:50 |  #4

IMO a wedding is nothing to experiment anything with...Plus your mind should be on nothing but your bride. Not your job or your hobby, which ever category you place photography in.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

May 19, 2014 19:08 |  #5

I had two friends get married last year who both wore gopros during the ceremony, but they both own a small production company and the rest of the company was shooting the wedding. Their wedding also included a car show.

If this is not you do not do it, you will have zero time to shoot and the bride will kill you for not giving her you're full attention on the big day.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 19, 2014 22:45 as a reply to  @ solepatch's post |  #6

It depends on your emotional involvement and type of person you are. Either way, its up to you and do what you need to do. There is absolutely no way I could have focused on anything photography related during my wedding, but to each his own. For me, it was about my wife and the people around us.

I wouldn't consider it if you are looking to save money...
I wouldn't consider it if you are looking to build your portfolio...
I wouldn't consider it if you are the ONLY one taking photos...

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

karl2002m
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 19, 2014 22:55 |  #7

guys....what i mean is that...i do have a hire photographer on my wedding day!!

just that we bought extra wedding suits and dresses so we can take some outdoor pic a few months before the wedding date, and we will also bring those dresses to our honey moon.

we have plenty of time to try and error, just want to capture some special moments with our perspective. :D

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 20, 2014 00:24 |  #8

I'll be taking a few shots on my wedding day. My own personal viewpoint of my wedding day.

Peter

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,656 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2014 00:38 |  #9

"A few shots" -- that's not the same as "take my wedding pictures".

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 20, 2014 00:57 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I'd do it. I wouldn't like pictures of my wife to be the intellectual property of someone else who then might use them in ways I might not approve of.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 20, 2014 13:08 |  #11

Alveric wrote in post #16916471 (external link)
I'd do it. I wouldn't like pictures of my wife to be the intellectual property of someone else who then might use them in ways I might not approve of.

Seriously? I literally almost spit my coffee out after I read this. Hiring a professional photographer instead of a "fauxtographer (external link)" or "brotographer (external link)" from craigslist would probably alleviate this concern. By "professional" I mean not only knowlegdable, but in business practice as well.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 20, 2014 13:12 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

rivas8409 wrote in post #16917530 (external link)
Seriously? I literally almost spit my coffee out after I read this. Hiring a professional photographer instead of a "fauxtographer (external link)" or "brotographer (external link)" from craigslist would probably alleviate this concern. By "professional" I mean not only knowlegdable, but in business practice as well.

Dead serious! Sorry about your coffee, mate. Here, I'll send you a virtual Zeiss wipe to clean up your screen. :D

It also depends on what you want. Me, I'd like nothing but formals, you know, the posed shots: tripod on remote triggered by a PW MiniTTL hidden in my hand :). I wouldn't care nor pay for photojournalistic images of guests, and I would not allow the photographer to be firing flashes in the church, distracting people and trivialising the holiness of the ceremony.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 21, 2014 19:38 |  #13

Alveric wrote in post #16917550 (external link)
Dead serious! Sorry about your coffee, mate. Here, I'll send you a virtual Zeiss wipe to clean up your screen. :D

It also depends on what you want. Me, I'd like nothing but formals, you know, the posed shots: tripod on remote triggered by a PW MiniTTL hidden in my hand :). I wouldn't care nor pay for photojournalistic images of guests, and I would not allow the photographer to be firing flashes in the church, distracting people and trivialising the holiness of the ceremony.

But what would the wife want ? :D

that's a joke btw, between you and her ;)

I LOVE photography, and I dream of my wedding day where I can hire my favourite wedding photographer so they can work their magic on me ^_^ I'll def be putting the camera down that day ♥

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
anyone here try taking "self wedding picture"?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.