Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 May 2014 (Monday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 5 - dvd or download

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 20, 2014 13:40 |  #16

Adobe doesn't clutter their main site with obvious download links to old versions, but if you use the search you can still download copies of Lightroom 1.

I can't remember the last thing I installed from a disk. (Even my operating systems get downloaded and installed from flash drives these days.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 20, 2014 13:57 |  #17

DGStinner wrote in post #16917418 (external link)
When I purchased LR5, my only option was to download it since my Mac doesn't have a DVD drive. After downloading it, I made a copy to an external hard drive and made a backup to the cloud. I've done this for years even when I used Windows as insurance in case I don't like a newer version of a program or the application disappears from existence.

Good point DGStinner. Especially as I am thing of trading up my Mac Book Pro for a new model which as you say does not have a dvd drive.

So that means I must buy as a software download and then copy it as you suggested. I assume that if I buy the software now by download to my existing lap top, I can later download it again to the new laptop as well as my desktop?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 20, 2014 14:33 |  #18

You can buy USB external optical drives, or tether one over a network from another machine.

The license (last time I looked, and for the direct download from Adobe) allowed for being installed on up to two different machines at any one time, regardless of operating system, but technically limited to only one being in use at a time. So you can install on your desktop workstation and your field laptop so you can work on stuff at either of them, but you're not supposed to install on your computer and then your buddy's computer so you can both use it at the same time.

And in the case of getting a new laptop you would simply remove one of your installs from the old device you are replacing. As far as I'm aware Lightroom doesn't have any really draconian Digital Rights Management attached to it, and doesn't limit installs even if you are violating the license.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 20, 2014 15:00 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #19

LUCKLESS

thanks very much,

I now can see the way forward and will now arrange to download Lightroom 5 via Amazon and burn a copy to a cd as well as to my external drive.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this short but helpful thread

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2014 20:51 |  #20

Plumtreelad wrote in post #16915540 (external link)
Thanks for that clarification. I think that it strengthens the argument for buying the dvd?

What I did was download from Amazon (US), then I transfered the installation file to my backup external hard drive. Even though it's always available from my Amazon download library, I also have it off line too.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 5 - dvd or download
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.