Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boston POTN Meet (3)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2014 14:08 |  #1936

Meteor shower this weekend, folks: http://www.usatoday.co​m …teor-shower-nasa/9273387/ (external link)

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 20, 2014 15:34 as a reply to  @ Nathan's post |  #1937

So I wasn't sure on the crop on #2. When I get home I'll change it back. I cut her hair off because I figured it made the eyes stand out more.

So any suggestions as to how to direct the model to pose? At one point she had her arms crossed and a bunch of those pics are garbage because of her pose... Anything I can say to garner better poses? Tips/hints?

I am scheduling another shoot with her. A because I'm just not happy, and B it'll be good practice.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback guys.

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

May 20, 2014 15:42 |  #1938

I've got no clue. I've seen Brendan in action and a little bit of how Andrew talks to his model. I wonder how much of it is just having a knack for it.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 20, 2014 16:09 |  #1939

Yeah the whole directing thing thing if it's not already working out than it only comes with time and experience

adamsheehy
485 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 20, 2014 17:23 |  #1940

t3ichef wrote in post #16917905 (external link)
So I wasn't sure on the crop on #2. When I get home I'll change it back. I cut her hair off because I figured it made the eyes stand out more.

So any suggestions as to how to direct the model to pose? At one point she had her arms crossed and a bunch of those pics are garbage because of her pose... Anything I can say to garner better poses? Tips/hints?

I am scheduling another shoot with her. A because I'm just not happy, and B it'll be good practice.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback guys.

It can certainly be overwhelming starting out because you're doing all you can to juggle the lighting, exposure, angles, composition, etc. Everyone has a different method and it just takes some practice and figuring out what works best with your flow. Some people need an exact pose and won't start shooting until every last hair is in place, while others don't do much directing at all. A TON has to do with the model, regardless of how you direct. Some have a sort of natural grace and can handle talking while posing and others get distracted very easily or are spastic and can't stop moving around. Some are experienced and very comfortable in front of the camera and some are nervous and look like a deer in headlights. Essentially, each shoot will be different and dynamic and there's really no cookie cutter template to use, unless you only shoot with professionals and everyone knows what to expect.

Personally, I get most of my best stuff in transition or a pose that isn't held in one spot for too long. I kind of have people move around and bit and then have them slow it down just slightly once I start to see what I'm looking for. I've also found that if I see a perfect pose, it's almost impossible to have the model replicate it and often times it looks too rehearsed and unnatural if they try. Just practice and take a ton of shots to figure out what works and what doesn't. I think for the first couple of shoots, I was averaging maybe 1000-1500 over a couple hours or so, but can now get exactly what I want within 100 shots in maybe 30 minutes.

flickr (external link)

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 20, 2014 21:21 as a reply to  @ adamsheehy's post |  #1941

i've uploaded the "keepers". overall i'd grade myself a C+. but if you guys are interested...take a peek. lemme know what you think overall.

https://www.flickr.com …e/sets/72157644​356453350/ (external link)

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,386 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 21, 2014 11:08 |  #1942

I like IMG_0126.jpg

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,172 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2014 11:28 |  #1943

sansational wrote in post #16915776 (external link)
Good job.

Can I ask y'all what you have for cable/internet packages? I'm currently at $179/month with Comcast and it's really putting a dent in my wallet.

I dumped all Cable a few years back. Kept a fairly fast internet packaged with a home phone (Cox Cable here). went from nearly 200.00 a month to $75.00 a month. If I went with slower internet it'd be even less.

We use netflix, Amazon and other streaming via a Roku box. We pay I think $8.00 a month for netflix so factor that in we are still under $100.00

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 21, 2014 11:43 |  #1944

sansational wrote in post #16915776 (external link)
Good job.

Can I ask y'all what you have for cable/internet packages? I'm currently at $179/month with Comcast and it's really putting a dent in my wallet.

I get Performance Internet from Comcast, currently @ $39.99/mo. Don't really need cable, but I did see Verizon FIOS running a promo for Internet + basic TV + HBO for ~ $60/mo.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,663 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 21, 2014 12:07 |  #1945

we have verizon (fios) for internet, phone and tv (most channels, not HBO). Yes, we still have a landline, for wife's work, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper to call home with the landline than it is with the mobile phone...

sets us back about $130/mo, but the internet speed is great.

I did buy one of those apple Airport Extreme Time Capsules, 3Tb. Hooked up the wifi router to the airport, and use the airport for the wifi signal since it is astoundingly better (has a much stronger signal). then i hooked up the other external drives to it, so now i have wireless external drives i can save photos to from the laptop. Works great.

SmugMug (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2014 13:11 |  #1946

And this is my son on Monday. JD and MBA from Yale. I hope that nobody who knows me will ask why I have all white hair! :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

kpratte
260 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 21, 2014 16:45 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #1947

Would love to cut cable...but Comcast is the only game that can get me something other than slow DSL and unfortunately we watch a bunch of TV, so it's a triple play for $156. I had blast internet for a while and decided to stop paying the extra $10 and dropped to performance, yet my speeds didn't change, yippie!

Harm, how do you back up your 3TB time capsule? Maybe it's me living in the burbs, but I have already had to replace equipment due to a lightening strike.

- Ken

sansational
Reverse Psychologist
2,386 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 21, 2014 17:05 |  #1948

Lbsimon wrote in post #16920270 (external link)
And this is my son on Monday. JD and MBA from Yale. I hope that nobody who knows me will ask why I have all white hair! :-)

Congrats to him!

Andrew
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

KalebA
471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

May 21, 2014 19:06 |  #1949

Cutting cable was one of the best things we did, I'd recommend it even if you're just trying it for a month or two

Not to mention if/when you go back you can leverage the company for better deals

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 22, 2014 00:18 |  #1950

congrats to your son!

Got to mock up some lighting stuff for a shoot on Friday. Had extra time to play with the Beauty Dish I borrowed from Adam. Had the GF step in for some photos

IMAGE: http://i62.tinypic.com/dyw4np.jpg

sponsored links

759,009 views & 233 likes for this thread
Boston POTN Meet (3)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.