Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Westcott Strobelite Question

Firehouse
472 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 20:03 |  #1

I just received a 3 light Westcott Stroblite kit and was wondering how to get the two lights not plugged into the camera to fire. I plugged the cord into the camera then into the back of the light in the sync plug and it fires. I was told that since the other two lights have cells that they would also fire when the first light did. Unfortunately the only light that fires is the one with the camera plugged in. I bought the kit used so there were no directions with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Rich--
Instagram: whitelensphotos

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,655 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 20:49 |  #2

If you have the model number, you could Google it. I'm betting you have to turn an optical slave on and that's why they are not firing.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Firehouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 21:09 |  #3

It's a model 0150. Just goggled it and read about it and it says they should fire when it senses another flash go off. I'll play with it some more to see if it needs to be more in the line of sight with the other units.

--Rich--

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 21:26 |  #4

I have one. The slave cell works like most monolights and will fire the strobe whenever it detects the flash from any other strobe, even a speedlight. To turn on the slave function, press the white "cell" button. It is located above the red test button. The "on" position is when it stays halfway down. The "off" position is when it is all the way out.

Firehouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 21:33 |  #5

My cell button is clear and does not depress.

--Rich--

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 21:39 |  #6

Right below that one, there should be another one labeled "CELL ON/OFF".

Firehouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 21:42 |  #7

No just the red test button. I'll post a picture of it

--Rich--

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 21:49 |  #8

I just checked the a Westcott website. I have this version:
http://fjwestcott.com …/uploads/2002-450x450.jpg (external link)

You might have this version:
http://fjwestcott.com …loads/150-Back-Angle2.jpg (external link)

Firehouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 21:52 |  #9

Yes that is the version I have the second link

--Rich--

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 23:01 |  #10

OK, that is the Strobelite Basics model without the switchable slave. Nothing to turn on. If using them outdoors or in bright light it may be a problem. That is common with many optical slaves. If indoors, you can try darkening the room and see if the cell will detect the main light. Assuming the strobes are otherwise functional, the typical solution is to get wireless triggers to plug into the sync port. Just about any will do that have a mini sync cord. PocketWizards work, but so do inexpensive ones like the Yongnuo RF603C. They run about $30 a pair.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 21, 2014 00:57 |  #11

You have to make sure that the slave sensors are able to "see" the light from the trigger light. I don't care much for optical slaves so I bought the cheap yongnuo's mentioned above. They are RF transceivers and eliminate the problem.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

midwestusa4x4
32 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 21, 2014 00:58 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #12

I just bought two just like the three you have (they haven't arrived yet but should be here on Thursday). While they have the ability to 'see' another flash and trigger, I will be using YN622C's for remote triggers. I have also ordered sync cables as they were not included on the one's I got.

650D/T4i gripped w/Magic Lantern | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake | 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 70-300mm f/5-5.6 | 430EX II x2 | YN568EX II | YN-622c x4 | YN-622C-TX | X-rite i1Display Pro | X-rite ColorChecker Passport

Firehouse
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 21, 2014 17:00 |  #13

Thanks to everyone for their help. When I had the strobes seeing each other they all fired, but since that is not always practical I bough the Yongnuo RF603C's today on Ebay so I should be good.

--Rich--

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 22, 2014 13:59 |  #14

Next stop.....battery pack for remote use of your monolights. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

3,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
Westcott Strobelite Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.