Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 09:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lesson learned. Preference for sun position and sports.

Nukehed
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 20, 2014 09:59 |  #1

I learned my lesson a couple weeks ago. I did NOT pay attention to sun position and shot a rugby game from end zone with bright sun, no clouds perpendicular to me and players. I dealt with a lot of half almost-blown out and half almost too-dark rugby players photos.

So here's my question. If given the opportunity would you choose to shoot into the sun or sun at your back?

Either one will simplify exposure and mostly eliminate half bright/half dark people. I've tried both in subsequent games and it seems into sun is better as there are less drastic shadows on players faces.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 20, 2014 10:01 |  #2

I want sun on faces. If you have the sun on their backs and you expose the faces then you risk blowouts on anylight light colored in the scene.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2014 10:58 |  #3

Sun at my back.

I very rarely shoot into the sun, usually for a certain look such as a sillouhette of a waterskiier or similar.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Nukehed
THREAD ­ STARTER
550 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 20, 2014 11:06 |  #4

JeffreyG wrote in post #16917222 (external link)
Sun at my back.

Would you change your stance based on background? If into the sun were a nicer backdrop and back to the sun was industrial buildings as background?

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."- Ed Howdershelt
GEAR LIST
My website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 20, 2014 11:08 |  #5

Nukehed wrote in post #16917232 (external link)
Would you change your stance based on background? If into the sun were a nicer backdrop and back to the sun was industrial buildings as background?

But you get either shadowed faces, essentially silhouttes against a nice background, or you raise the exposure to bring the faces out of shadow and blow out the background you are trying to save.

John ­ Godwin
150 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 20, 2014 16:25 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

I do not do silhouette's for sports so I try to get the sun to my back. The background can be controlled by moving your feet, shooting tight, cropping tighter and an aperture of f2.8.

Maxpreps profile (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 20, 2014 16:39 |  #7

When I shoot on a sunny day, I usually have to deal with both situations, changing ends at half time. Its a challenge shooting 'into' the sun, I don't sit directly 'opposite' because of flare and getting a headache. I usually shoot a bit obliquely. Expose for the skin tones, blow out some of the background. Better than silhouettes. Its a balance of rim lighting and over-exposure.

IMAGE: http://photodiva.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v91/p1512281098-2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://photodiva.zenfo​lio.com/p893577542/e5a​23940a  (external link)

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2014 18:12 |  #8

I will let the sun dictate my position, although I admit in some sports you will simply wind up shooting into the sun for half the game when the team switches sides. As Hannya noted, quarter to it and blow the backgrounds as needed.

Here is a single RHB, first shot is overcast so I shot her from wherever I wanted. This particular (boring) shot is from the 1st base line. Second shot I only shot RHB on the follow through from the 3rd base line because the angle of the first shot would be a silhouette.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2014 18:13 |  #9

And very infrequently, I shoot a silhouette on purpose.

HOSTED PHOTO

bboowwyy
253 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2014 02:17 |  #10

Shooting rugby backlit can yield some nice shots, as the sweat/water that sprays off from collisions often catches the sun (especially if you have a dark background to work with).
Personally, i also really like the glowing affect produced when overexposing green grass.

Only example i have on my computer right now...

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5490/14049027278_88bd555e9b_c.jpg

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 21, 2014 08:20 |  #11

Nukehed wrote in post #16917232 (external link)

The background should be the first thing on your mind when looking for shooting positions. Think out your shots before hand

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

May 24, 2014 22:07 |  #12

Nukehed wrote in post #16917110 (external link)
So here's my question. If given the opportunity would you choose to shoot into the sun or sun at your back?

Yes. Go where you can get the best shot. One of the advantages of a backlit shot is there won't be any harsh shadows on the face. Yes, the background will be blown out if you expose for the face, but so what if it isn't relevant to the shot?

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesson learned. Preference for sun position and sports.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.