Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Brackets

phoomanchew
65 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 11:46 |  #1

Hello,

I helped a professional photographer (husband and wife team) this past weekend shooting a wedding. If was my first time... It was a blast! Anyways, one suggestion I took from the shoot was that I need a flash bracket. Both photographers had flash brackets, one was a Just Rite and the other was a Stroboframe.

I did some looking into each of these brackets and found that they are really not compatible with my Really Right Stuff (RRS) "L" brackets or RRS ball head. So, I look into the RRS WPF-QR2.

Any thoughts on a flash bracket?

Thanks,

Canon 7D | BG-E7 grip | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/4.0L | 430EX II Speedlite | RRS TVC-34L | RRS BH-55 LR

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,722 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2014 13:10 |  #2

Newton Camera Brackets
Custom Brackets
RRS brackets

All are professional grade products which meet these criteria

• Keep flash directly above the lens optical axis
  • Allow the camera to be turned CCW to Portrait orientation, retaining access to buttons on accessory grips
  • Do not require that flash head be adjusted every time you switch between Portrait and Landscape
  • Light weight
  • Rigid and strong

...but all three are >$200

products which are <$200 generally are missing one or more of the above characteristics!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

phoomanchew
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2014 13:51 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply...

Custom Brackets looks good as I can build the bracket they way "I" want it... very nice...

I will check more into that and RRS tonight...

Canon 7D | BG-E7 grip | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/4.0L | 430EX II Speedlite | RRS TVC-34L | RRS BH-55 LR

Wilt
41,722 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2014 15:47 |  #4

The Newton is flexible, too. You can switch it for camera side (left vs. right) to suit different cameras, and you adjust the height to accommodate a battery grip or no-grip height! And Robert Newton can put your choice of QR plate on it for tripod use, as well as a number of other tweaks as needed by you.

I have used my Newton with my medium format SLR, both with and without a film motor drive; and then reconfigured it for my Canon dSLR.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 20, 2014 16:35 |  #5

The RRS is the way to go. Very sturdy, easy to use, fully compatible (as you'd expect) with your L bracket, and about as compact a set-up as you'll find when it's not in use.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,083 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 20, 2014 18:00 |  #6

phoomanchew wrote in post #16917651 (external link)
Thanks for the reply...

Custom Brackets looks good as I can build the bracket they way "I" want it... very nice...

I will check more into that and RRS tonight...

Why not just make one?
I made mine for mounting a flash on my Wimberley for use with long lenses but the design could very easily be adapted for your uses.
P.M. your E Mail if you want the design.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Wilt
41,722 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 20, 2014 19:22 |  #7

In post #2, I mentioned the 3 top professional grade brands. As usual, each has its own relative disadvantage if comparing those three.

• Custom Brackets is largest and bulkiest
  • Newton is not compatible with A-S QR in standard form
  • RRS is the most expensive

NManuel01
752 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

May 20, 2014 23:09 |  #8

http://www.promediagea​r.com …ripBattery-Pack_p_30.html (external link)

I've been considering this set up. I've had their plates for my 60D and they were very well built!

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

monty87
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 21, 2014 01:31 |  #9

I have been looking at sunwayfoto TFB-01. They have it on amazon for $109 and its arca compatible.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

phoomanchew
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined May 2012

May 21, 2014 12:18 as a reply to  @ monty87's post |  #10

They all look good! I will take one of each! :)

So many decisions... I will need to do more research...

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2014 12:27 |  #11

Note the design of the TFB-01. You must also have either a long lens plate OR a rail to hold it in place.

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 22, 2014 06:43 |  #12

When I first decided I needed to get my flash above the camera, I first tried an 'economy' bracket (about $75) that flipped the camera and everything else stayed put. I found it too bulky, too heavy, and too clumsy to flip the camera.

So I went with the RRS WPF and later the QR2 version bracket. What can I say? Fast, easy to use, light weight (very important with a gripped 5D3 + 580 EXii and 66 year old body), and very compact when packed away. Once I decided on the RRS, I then found what I wanted in Arca-Swiss style bracket and clamps for my tripod and monopod. As I had a 60D at the time, and RRS didn't have a gripped 60D L bracket, I went with Kirk, who did. Went with Kirk for the gripped 5D3 as well.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 22, 2014 12:36 |  #13

Do any of these brackets allow mounting the external canon battery pack CP-E3/4?

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 22, 2014 18:16 |  #14

Well, the RRS WPF attaches to the side of your L bracket, so the tripod screw hole on the L bracket's available for you to attach the CP-E4 to. Kind of interferes with prospects for attaching the camera to a tripod in Landscape orientation, but then wouldn't the other flash brackets also do so? I have no doubt that RRS makes a clamp that would fit on the WPF and let you anchor the CP-E4 to the side of it, but a battery pack on the side would probably mess badly with the balance.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

phoomanchew
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined May 2012

May 23, 2014 11:52 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #15

Well I ended up ordering a RRS WPF-QR2. What really convinced me to get this one was the fact that I already have two RRS "L" brackets (one for my 7D with a grip and one for the 7D without a grip), and the recommendations of other that the WPF is light, fast, and compact. I need all those features...

It should be here hopefully next week or so. Once I get it, I will report back my findings.

sponsored links

7,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Brackets
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.