Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One landscape, two skies

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2014 21:53 |  #1

Well, two different sets of clouds, anyway... and the edit is slightly different, mainly the sky exposure.

Which one should I keep ?

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/14047667640_f773500de2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/npkY​bd  (external link) 20140518-DSC01311 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
20140518-DSC01309 (external link) by BugsDaddy (external link), on Flickr

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

May 20, 2014 22:10 |  #2

I like the sky contrast in #1

Some cameras, some lenses

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 20, 2014 22:57 |  #3

Very nice shot - no.1 for me.

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Joined May 2013

May 20, 2014 23:21 as a reply to  @ Spike44's post |  #4

No. 1 has better color and contrast. But honestly, they don't do much for me from a compisition standpoint. My eye is led right into the middle of the frame, with nothing of interest there. The sky and its reflection don't have any interest either, they appear as negative space to me.

At a slightly different angle, you could've possibly used the reflection as a "golden triangle." That might've worked better here. These types of lake shots are difficult to make interesting. Try shooting low, getting some closer foreground subjects incorporated. Try using a ND filter and getting a longer exposure to smooth out the sky and water. Try different things, get creative with it. Those kinds of things will elevate a shot like this from snapshot status to something more artistic.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 20, 2014 23:59 |  #5

I prefer more contrast in both of them.. however, it's all subjective. It appears you prefer a softer look. I think a ND filter may have helped here, also perhaps and object in the foreground of the water, perhaps a large rock or a fallen tree branch...a canoe, row boat...etc etc.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Gear flickr (external link)

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 21, 2014 07:46 |  #6

Bianchi wrote in post #16919015 (external link)
I prefer more contrast in both of them.. however, it's all subjective. It appears you prefer a softer look. I think a ND filter may have helped here, also perhaps and object in the foreground of the water, perhaps a large rock or a fallen tree branch...a canoe, row boat...etc etc.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks, objectively it's a great edit, but a bit too "glossy" for my taste.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 21, 2014 14:53 as a reply to  @ Amamba's post |  #7

on my my monitor the picture has little bit of green tone. for landscapes i personaly like
to have details in clouds as well. and to have little bit more saturated and contrasty picture. here is one edit as per my taste . Taste differ from person to person.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

May 21, 2014 15:24 |  #8

Needs more detail in the clouds. The "glossy" edit there is nice for that reason (you can tone down the glossiness, the point is more about the cloud contrast).
I find a GND filter does wonders on these types of shots.
If you don't have one, then LR has a pretty cool GND tool which I use quite a bit to bring out details in the clouds. In fact, I've made it a preset that I apply to a lot of "bad sky" images I have and it does great.
I think it's something like Exposure -1.0 (adjust to taste), clarity +20, contrast +20.
(I don't mean the overall image settings here, but rather the settings of the GND tool itself).

Hope that helps.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 21, 2014 16:43 |  #9

Well, my point is, the clouds in the edits look beautiful, but to my eye completely unnatural.. "glossy" was just a polite way to say it.

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 21, 2014 21:33 |  #10

As I have said above, I really like the original version #1 as is...if I had to edit anything, I might bring up the detail a bit (esp. the right forest) and crop out the water more in the foreground....note Amamba the sky is untouched but I also like Nattaya's sky.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …0de2ppwww_zps79​ee1e97.jpg (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2014 23:42 |  #11

To bring out definition in clouds, initially a polarized filter would be highly recommended while shooting, especially a scene like this.

As Puckman said, you can use the GF in LR or the Brush as well. However my point is use a polarizer, and you will be doing a lot less editing in LR and get better results, and then tweak as needed in LR

In my edit above, I used neither the GF or Brush in LR, just some adjustments in the Basic and Tone Curve panels.. With the techniques I use, I could of brought out definition in the clouds, however I didn't touch them

If you look at nittaya's sky edit, with the attempt of bringing out definition, color noise was added in red & green shades. That could of been remedied in LR

I think Spikes edit is more in line with your taste and perhaps his, as it appears he left water and sky un touched and added contrast to the tree line on both sides of lake.

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
One landscape, two skies
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.