Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2014 (Saturday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Frustrated - EOS 7D

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 19, 2014 10:36 as a reply to  @ post 16914652 |  #31

A few things working against you.

1. Stage lighting which is designed for effect and not photography. Usually much lower in intensity than sunlight.

2. Moving subject in lowlight.

3. Slow maximum aperture lens.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 19, 2014 10:42 |  #32

Why not go with the Nikon D3000 and a kit lens that your cousin has? There is no reason to stick to one brand.

Gearlist

sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008

May 19, 2014 11:20 |  #33

chikkad wrote in post #16911791 (external link)
Whoa. .. So many posts and comments..Thank you everyone. Thank you for your comments, suggestions, pointers and opinion. I get that I should have used faster shutter speed. But I guess I was restricted by the f3.6 kit lens. Seems like I should practice more and read up more. Thanks again everyone.

Regards chikkad

I'd recommend checking out this site - http://canonoutsideofa​uto.ca/ (external link) - and start learning the exposure triangle (Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO). They have a learning section along with a simulator (click "Play") that will let you play with each setting see how it effects your picture. You'll be outside of auto in no time and utilizing your 7D as it was meant to be.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,722 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

May 20, 2014 08:25 |  #34

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16910868 (external link)
Wrong. Its an "old" camera but it still the top crop camera in the market today....sorry to bust your bubbble. Its ISO low light capability is more than good. Guess you just completely ignore the work of TeamSpeed at low light settings.....:rolleyes:

Late to this thread and it only took a few seconds to see motion blur where people are moving their arms. SS too slow.

7D @ ISO 12,800. It was dark and I was maxed out with an f4 lens at 1/500. At that speed you can see slight motion blur on feet and hands. The key to the 7D is correct exposure or even slightly to the right. It is a light hungry sensor and if get good exposure you can get decent higher ISO shots. Noise Reduction using ACR.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/_MG_2542_zps3c​7cf2c9.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 20, 2014 15:35 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

digital paradise wrote in post #16916927 (external link)
Late to this thread and it only took a few seconds to see motion blur where people are moving their arms. SS too slow.

7D @ ISO 12,800. It was dark and I was maxed out with an f4 lens at 1/500. At that speed you can see slight motion blur on feet and hands. The key to the 7D is correct exposure or even slightly to the right. It is a light hungry sensor and if get good exposure you can get decent higher ISO shots. Noise Reduction using ACR.

QUOTED IMAGE

Thats an excellent example of the 7d capabilities, according to some people you just got lucky, caught perfect light among some other rather absurd theories....:D

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

JimmyG
231 posts
Joined May 2009

May 20, 2014 16:12 |  #36

So you're complaining about the camera because you don't know anything about photography? Makes sense.......

James
Gripped EOS 5Dc|Gripped EOS 7D|EOS 450D|EOS Elan|Polaroid 103|Minolta X-700|Rokinon 8mm Fisheye|Canon 40mm 2.8 'pancake'|Canon 85mm 1.8|Canon 70-200 F4 L

James R Graves Photo (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,722 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 20, 2014 16:55 |  #37

I have about 200 of those. That is my fave. The quarterback carrying the ball is the son of one the fellows I used to work with.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 20, 2014 20:14 |  #38

JimmyG wrote in post #16917980 (external link)
So you're complaining about the camera because you don't know anything about photography? Makes sense.......

I believe the OP used the term frustrated. I'm certain he would have been equally frustrated whatever camera he used.

He had the sense in post quite a few images to be assessed to aid in his learning process. Hopefully he'll see the limit of his equipment and skils , then learn from there.

Within his friendly learning community, how about cutting the OP some slack.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2014 15:03 |  #39

yogestee wrote in post #16918550 (external link)
I believe the OP used the term frustrated. I'm certain he would have been equally frustrated whatever camera he used.

He had the sense in post quite a few images to be assessed to aid in his learning process. Hopefully he'll see the limit of his equipment and skils , then learn from there.

bw!

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 21, 2014 15:44 |  #40

yogestee wrote in post #16918550 (external link)

well said!

Aki78
961 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 10:34 as a reply to  @ flashpoint99's post |  #41

Comments like this is how many forums deteriorate pushing new members feeling attacked and not welcomed.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2014 11:27 |  #42

Aki78 wrote in post #16922326 (external link)
Comments like this is how many forums deteriorate pushing new members feeling attacked and not welcomed.

Exactly. Combine hostile elitist kill joys with post after post of "Nice shot!", and a photo forum can quickly die off because no one wants to actually bother engaging in discussions there.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 22, 2014 13:22 |  #43

The OP appeared to be expressing some frustration at his results - especially when compared to someone else with a camera from a different manufacturer. But they clearly didn't blame the equipment. After all the details of what the perceived problem was, the question asked was "Am I missing something?", which is obviously the case. So people answered, the OP learned some things, and all is well...until someone comes along and says something like this....

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 22, 2014 14:52 |  #44

Heh! I'd say the OP got some very good responses! The fact that one person (who hasn't been very active here) made an un-thoughtful comment, well, let's not let "one bad apple spoil the bunch", and let's not waste energy on it!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

chikkad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 03, 2014 22:26 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #45

Frustrated EOS 7D

Thanks to all those who posted your suggestions on how to improve shooting with my EOS 7D and EF 18-135/f3.6 - 6.3 kit lens. I tried out some shots on my vacation to
Vegas. All shots were in Manual Mode.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

7,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Frustrated - EOS 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.