Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 May 2014 (Saturday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee filter questions

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 14, 2014 19:40 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I haven't used Heliopan, but I know of at least one professional photographer of renown who favours it. They're made in Germany, like B+W, and based on their price tag I would expect them to be top notch. Can't see you going wrong with them. They even have a polariser that has only one stop light loss. I'd recommend you to get a Kässeman-type polariser, especially if you'll be shooting in sub zero temperatures.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
neilgcart
143 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2014 11:47 |  #17

The Lee 105 cpl is quite deep so you will get a significant amount of vignetting with ultra wides. The best filter to use is the Heliopan as this offers the slimmest option you can get and thus minimises any vignetting. I can use a Lee filter holder with two slots and the cpl adapter ring on the front at 16mm full frame and get no vignetting using a Heliopan.

Neil

HiRes
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 20, 2014 07:30 |  #18

I'm about to order a Heliopan "High transmission" circular polarizer with a slim mount. With the Lee holder I'll be ordering a Lee "wide" adapter ring for my 82mm diameter lens, so that should take care of vignetting as far as what I can do about it. The circular polarizer will be attached to the front of the Lee holder with a Lee 105mm accessory polarizer ring.

This weekend I decided to try out my (barely used) Cokin P holder with a 0.6ND filter and a polarizer and see what I could do with waterfalls and mountains. I now understand why you all don't recommend attaching the filter holder to the front of the polarizer, because it makes it really fiddly to rotate the polarizer. A real pain!
As for the ND filter I experimented with a tripod and different apertures in order to get different shutter speeds. It all looks so simple, but different shutter speeds give widely different results and moods, so this sort of thing likely takes a lot of practice to get a "perfect" waterfall shot. Are your experiencs the same?

6D | 50D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II| 70-200 f/4L | 35 f/2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 |Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 | 430EX | 580EX II

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 20, 2014 12:50 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, patience is a prime requirement.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 21, 2014 10:28 |  #20

Question on this topic

I see lee has a round 105mm circular polariser and a square one that can be used directly with no adapter ring

there is a difference of £100 between them, since I can rotate the holder itself, is there a reason to pay more for the 105mm round one ?

Leet says the square one "This version is recommended for studio use, or when no filters are required in addition to the Polariser."

But why is that ? we already carrying the big stopper, etc

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

neilgcart
143 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2014 10:56 |  #21

NullMind wrote in post #16919851 (external link)
Question on this topic

I see lee has a round 105mm circular polariser and a square one that can be used directly with no adapter ring

there is a difference of £100 between them, since I can rotate the holder itself, is there a reason to pay more for the 105mm round one ?

Leet says the square one "This version is recommended for studio use, or when no filters are required in addition to the Polariser."

But why is that ? we already carrying the big stopper, etc

If you need to use a ND grad with the polarizer then you can only rotate a square polarzer using two filter holders joined together. This will not work with a wide angle lens as you will get vignetting.

I would not buy a Lee 105mm round ploarizer as it is quite deep so again you will get some vignetting if the intended use is with an ultra wide lens. You need to buy a slim polarizer in this case. The Heliopan is about as slim as you can get if you wish to minimise the risk of vignetting.

So what you require really depends on what your intended use is. Most purchasers of Lee filters are probably going to use these filters for Landscape photography or simular where it is reasonable to assume you will want to use them with a reasonably wide angle lens. If you are not in this category you may have other options but if this describes your intended use you really need to be considering a slim round 105mm CPL and the Lee wide angle adapter.

Neil

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 21, 2014 13:43 |  #22

Hi Neil

That's does describe my scenario, but I don't intend to use ND grad, just the big stopper and the new little stopper ... Would the square polariser one fit fine ?

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2014 16:00 |  #23

I just use the square polarizer in conjunction with the grads and big stopper in the holder. You just rotate it 90 degrees to see whether it's working at that angle before slotting it in the holder. Due to the way they work, I haven't missed a screw type CPL since I got the Lee.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 21, 2014 17:34 |  #24

What's the difference between the circular vc linear polarizer ?

NullMind
Full Gear & Feedback

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 21, 2014 18:14 |  #25

NullMind wrote in post #16920865 (external link)
What's the difference between the circular vc linear polarizer ?

Functionally, with any of Canon's DSLRs you need the circular polarizer, not the linear one. In this usage, it describes how the light comes out of the filter. Light passing through a linear polarizer and reaching a second linear polarizer (a half-silvered mirror, like your camera uses to deflect some light to the AF sensors, is one example of this) can, at certain angles of rotation, be completely blocked by the second linear polarizer. Light passing through a circular polarizer before hitting the linear polarizer, on the other hand, will be passed through since the CPL, while it only passes the filtered light, "depolarizes" it, so the linear polarizer can pass at least some through regardless of orientation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 21, 2014 19:17 |  #26

The Lee square polarizers seem to work fairly well for those users who actually have one. Here is a older thread on this issue
https://photography-on-the.net …ight=lee+square​+polarizer

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

sponsored links

8,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee filter questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.