Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about giving "exclusive rights" when entering photo contest

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

May 22, 2014 00:20 |  #1

Hi,

I want to start entering some photo contests to get some visibility for my work. My friend wanted me to enter the AAA / Westways Photo Contest 2014, but the terms seem really extreme to me:

https://www.omnicontes​ts4.com …ads/WestwaysRul​es2014.pdf (external link)

Under #3. Entry) It says "Submission of an entry... grants Auto Club, and third parties authorized by Sponsor, the exclusive, perpetual right to publish... [Blah blah blah--essentially do whatever they want]."

I am worried about their use of the word "exclusive."

Does it mean I basically give them the photograph and I can't sell it or give it to anyone else anymore myself?

And if that's true, is this typical of all major photo contests?

Seems extremely extreme to me. Is it a good tradeoff for visibility?

Thanks for your help. :)

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 22, 2014 00:34 |  #2

This is why I won't enter any of these type of contests. Do you really want to grant them exclusive and perpetual rights to your photo to publish as they choose at will, forever? No thanks!

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 22, 2014 00:44 |  #3

Do you really think entering contests will give you more exposure? I really doubt that.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,655 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 22, 2014 00:49 |  #4

It doesn't give you any exposure if you don't win. All it does is give the contest sponsor free photos. Someone with more legal knowledge will have to fill in the fine details, but at minimum you would never be able to sell that photo to anyone or allow anyone else to use it commercially.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

GTS ­ Photo
40 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 22, 2014 02:22 |  #5

Aren't most contests just a cheap photo grab by the organiser?

StevePhoto
79 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 22, 2014 08:09 |  #6

The vast majority of photo contests are a truly disgraceful scam. In addition to giving up your rights to your photography, you pay a fee. In other words, you work for the contest owners and you pay them to do so.

Richard Prince
http://www.rprincephot​o.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,344 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 22, 2014 10:10 |  #7

http://artists-bill-of-rights.org …ion-lists/rights-on-list/ (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 22, 2014 18:59 |  #8

While it is typical contest language, it seems very unlikely that they would ever try to enforce exclusivity. The better question is - what are better marketing projects?

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

photog49
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 22, 2014 20:33 |  #9

Visibility for your work? Ha Ha Ha !

Entering contests? simple answer: Don't

It has been at least three decades since there was a genuine photography contest which awarded skill, technique and creativity...the majority are and have always been a waste of time...from the camera club contest which rewards your ability to photograph in 1890's salon style...to the blatant rights grabs of major companies who can well afford to pay proper money for photography.

And the most despicable of all: competitions run by microstock companies...who want to rights grab amateur crap...because they have basically lost the plot and cannot sell from the libraries the already administer and/or do not want to give out their overly generous 30% - 50% commissions

PS I love being controversial.

gewb
694 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 25, 2014 19:38 |  #10

photog49 wrote in post #16923520 (external link)
Visibility for your work? Ha Ha Ha !

Entering contests? simple answer: Don't

It has been at least three decades since there was a genuine photography contest which awarded skill, technique and creativity...the majority are and have always been a waste of time...from the camera club contest which rewards your ability to photograph in 1890's salon style...to the blatant rights grabs of major companies who can well afford to pay proper money for photography.

Last real exhibition I entered was in 1983. It was a prestigious event and even though I placed well it generated zero monetary interest.

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

May 25, 2014 19:39 |  #11

Thanks this is really useful!

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 25, 2014 23:02 |  #12

i use a website called viewbug. under the contests, they all say that the photographer remains the owner of all copyrights. plus its free, or you can pay for better contests.

its a bit of fun

like others, i wouldn't trust a contest that says that they have exclusive rights to a photograph for a contest.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 26, 2014 03:15 |  #13

It matters not that the entrant to the competetion still owns the copyright, if the licence terms are restrictive enough. A perpetual non revokable all media EXCLUSIVE sub licensable licence is pretty much as good owning the copyright. They can do what they like with the image, and all you can do is look at it. The terms if fully enforced could probably stop you even posting the image on your own website.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 26, 2014 14:52 |  #14

For me, it depends on the host. If it's a non-profit and I support their cause, I don't mind granting them rights unless they want the whole copyright kit and kaboodle. Then I'll think twice. I entered a Renaissance Faire contest a couple of times, where they claim the use of the images. I've seen my stuff a few times in promotional materials. It doesn't bother me because it was for fun and I don't lose any revenue that I sought or expected. One of the reasons that I've resisted "going pro" is that I don't want photography to stop being fun. If I had to make a living at it, I think it would take all the fun out of it.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Markk9
284 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 27, 2014 09:51 |  #15

How does "exclusive rights" rights work if say I submit a photo 20mm focal length wide, but also have the same shot but wider say at 16mm focal length wide? Will I still be able to use the 16mm one for commercial use?

Retired Eagle Driver.............Lon​g Live the Eagle.

sponsored links

5,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about giving "exclusive rights" when entering photo contest
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.