Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Service Center Newport News VA

this thread is locked
N2bnfunn
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 11:42 |  #1

Hello on this past Monday I sent my Canon 1DX in for checking and cleaning, I have a CPS membership within 2 days I received my 1DX checked and cleaned. Before I sent it in I wrote down the shutter count, when I received it back IT WAS 101 more shutter clicks was on from when I sent it in. When I open the box the power was left on and some of the advance setting had been change, all the other setting were factory default setting I sent it in with no cards no lens just the battery.

I called the service they gave me the run around and finally they told me they will get to the drop of this(Yeah right) and call me back. So far I have not heard a word back.

A word to everyone record your shutter count before sending in your camera's it is no telling what did to with my camera, someone might have even taken it home over night.

How unprofessional is that.. Very sad

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links
Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 12:18 |  #2

Honestly if you don't hear back and want answers, I would write to the corporate; usually the management. I'm sure others may feel differently but sometimes companies do need to hear their customers complaints for any possible issues that could hurt their brand. Especially when you're paying such high price for Canon's best bodies you'd expect a much better service.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 22, 2014 12:31 |  #3

On a camera that can do 14fps 101 shutter actuations isn't a lot. I'd imagine they could run that up just testing all of the cameras functions, including the buffer performance. You remind me of customers who used to bring their cars in for run problems and then freak when they'd see an extra 20 miles on the odometer. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If it had an extra 5,000 clicks on it though . . . . . .

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2014 12:32 |  #4

So you are angry over about seven seconds of usage on your camera? It is a 1Dx, it can and will take a lot of photos in a very short amount of time.

Personally if I send my camera in I would hope they test it before sending it back to me. I would be far more concerned if it came back with the same number of shots. That means that they didn't power it on and inspect it for function before beginning work, easy to burn through 20 or 30 shots there, and didn't test it after wards making sure it is functioning as expected in the various modes. 101 photos is very short for the tests I would expect to be conducted, which would include a full memory buffer test to ensure something wasn't damaged while in Canon's care.

I took more than that testing my 7D and a new lens last night.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Aki78
961 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 12:33 |  #5

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16922547 (external link)
If it had an extra 5,000 clicks on it though . . . . . .

Take a trip down to VA? :lol:

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 22, 2014 12:35 |  #6

Aki78 wrote in post #16922557 (external link)
Take a trip down to VA? :lol:

Well, I live about 15 minute from the service center so . . . . . .

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,090 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2014 12:44 |  #7

Um, I think it's normal, and should be understandable that when you send a camera in for "checking" and service that it will be tested.
The more clicks, the more thorough the test.

I am baffled as to what we should be worried about, and why we should feel that this is a reason to commiserate with your complaint?

I'm trying to picture the people at the other end of the phone trying to respond. ???

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 22, 2014 12:47 |  #8

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922443 (external link)
Hello on this past Monday I sent my Canon 1DX in for checking and cleaning,

How exactly are you expecting them to "Check" the camera if they dont check all of the operations including the shutter. If they hadnt, would you have come on here complaning that they didnt do a complete job...?

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Aki78
961 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 13:07 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16922561 (external link)
Well, I live about 15 minute from the service center so . . . . . .

RED STAPLER?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 22, 2014 13:15 |  #10

Aki78 wrote in post #16922621 (external link)
RED STAPLER?

Check!

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8512/8450635411_febb309c8b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dSKH​ux  (external link) "I Believe You Have My Stapler" (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

Time to burn the whole place down. Who do they think they are anyway, technicians?

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 22, 2014 13:19 |  #11

digirebelva wrote in post #16922592 (external link)
How exactly are you expecting them to "Check" the camera if they dont check all of the operations including the shutter. If they hadnt, would you have come on here complaning that they didnt do a complete job...?

I agree. If owner gets back the camera and they say it doesn't work, Canon would get backlash regardless.

Also, 98% of people probably wouldn't even check the shutter count.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Aki78
961 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 13:28 |  #12

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16922638 (external link)
Check!

Time to burn the whole place down. Who do they think they are anyway, technicians?

:lol: That's right, go Milton on them *shakes fist*

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 22, 2014 13:50 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16922547 (external link)
On a camera that can do 14fps 101 shutter actuations isn't a lot. I'd imagine they could run that up just testing all of the cameras functions, including the buffer performance. You remind me of customers who used to bring their cars in for run problems and then freak when they'd see an extra 20 miles on the odometer. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If it had an extra 5,000 clicks on it though . . . . . .

this. dont make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 13:59 |  #14

First all on do you know how they clean cameras? they are place in a machine HANDS FREE, that is like you taking your car in the dealership to fix the front seat, and when you pick up your car it has 101 miles on it, as far the 14fps, you HAD NO BUSINESS mess with that on the camera, you have to go into menu and turn that on. I have had my camera clean there before and It was like 5 clicks difference when I got it back, now that is about right NOT101

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 14:00 |  #15

Aki78 wrote in post #16922515 (external link)
Honestly if you don't hear back and want answers, I would write to the corporate; usually the management. I'm sure others may feel differently but sometimes companies do need to hear their customers complaints for any possible issues that could hurt their brand. Especially when you're paying such high price for Canon's best bodies you'd expect a much better service.

Thanks Aki78 that is a good idea..

sponsored links

5,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Service Center Newport News VA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.