Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 02:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone please help me fix a stamp logo?

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 22, 2014 02:14 |  #1

i just cant seem to get this logo to look good. it needs to be remade from scratch using an illustrator program. and i really suck at making logos. can someone please help me to make it look neat? i have to attach this logo to a number of portraits for a school and i cant put this ugly looking thing on there.. please help!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 22, 2014 03:48 |  #2

I think you need to hire a graphic designer.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 22, 2014 04:58 |  #3

Aaaand... here you go ;)

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41183616/high%20school%20small.png

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com/u/41183616​/high%20school.png (external link) (bigger version)

It's a little rough, but I took only about 10 minutes in Photoshop with shapes and pen tool. If you want I can give you the .PSD so that you can render it at any resolution you want.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 22, 2014 06:53 |  #4

oh wow, thank you so much. you make it seem so easy but i dont have the skill to do that. i will pm you for the psd file.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 22, 2014 16:21 |  #5

Wow, Kolor-Pikker,
Incredible job.

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

May 22, 2014 17:24 |  #6

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16921860 (external link)
Aaaand... here you go ;)

QUOTED IMAGE

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com/u/41183616​/high%20school.png (external link) (bigger version)

It's a little rough, but I took only about 10 minutes in Photoshop with shapes and pen tool. If you want I can give you the .PSD so that you can render it at any resolution you want.

Nice work for 10 minutes. It might be worth using the same san serif font on the outer lettering as you used on the inside lettering. Looks odd in the serif font you used.

I may be wrong but I'd assume the top of the seal/logo should have terminated in a point like all the other points around the outside, rather than horizontally flat. It looks like the original seal from the OP got cut off at some point. But what do I know, it might have been designed like that originally.

Just my .02

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 22, 2014 19:16 |  #7

thats correct. it should have ended in a point but that i can fix easily in the psd file that kolor pikker sent me. its just a matter of hiding one layer.looking at that psd file and its complexity, i could seriously never in my lifetime ever be able to do what he did. im a really happy chappy for this fixed logo :D
a big thank you once again to kolor pikker

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2014 19:27 |  #8

Nice job! There is one small mistake - in the original the word is Sprituil, you've spelled it Spirituil.

I understand how you did everything but the symbol in the white triangle. I had trouble getting it to look that clean.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 22, 2014 20:02 |  #9

D Thompson wrote in post #16923407 (external link)
Nice job! There is one small mistake - in the original the word is Sprituil, you've spelled it Spirituil.

I understand how you did everything but the symbol in the white triangle. I had trouble getting it to look that clean.

Heh! I was going to point that out about "sprituil"/"spirituil"​, but I figured "hey, why bother?":)!

The point that was made earlier about the different fonts used in the "outer circle" compared to the "inner circle" was an interesting observation!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 23, 2014 03:41 |  #10

Mesmer wrote in post #16923169 (external link)
Nice work for 10 minutes. It might be worth using the same san serif font on the outer lettering as you used on the inside lettering. Looks odd in the serif font you used.

I may be wrong but I'd assume the top of the seal/logo should have terminated in a point like all the other points around the outside, rather than horizontally flat. It looks like the original seal from the OP got cut off at some point. But what do I know, it might have been designed like that originally.

D Thompson wrote in post #16923407 (external link)

Yeah, I figured I might have missed something, I don't know what font was used originally and I didn't quite get that the top was cut off unintentionally, but as was said, I provided a layered .psd that one can fix all that.

It's easy to trace logos if you think of them as slices of construction paper stacked in a "pyramid", with the largest pieces on the bottom, and small details on top. It would have been easier if I knew how to make actual vectors, but I've never done graphic design, and my only use for Illustrator is printing certificates that someone else made for me.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2014 09:54 |  #11

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16924059 (external link)
It would have been easier if I knew how to make actual vectors, but I've never done graphic design, and my only use for Illustrator is printing certificates that someone else made for me.

Yeah, this logo would have been a perfect candidate to be done in Illustrator. Good job using PS.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 23, 2014 10:19 |  #12

Mesmer wrote in post #16924589 (external link)
Yeah, this logo would have been a perfect candidate to be done in Illustrator. Good job using PS.

Illustrator was actually the first application I loaded the image into, but after playing with live trace and trying out manual tools, I realized that I'd end up wasting the whole day trying out new stuff, and I had other things to do.

I'm pretty sure that Illustrator is a powerful application for drawing, but unfortunately its interface, standards and metrics are all rooted in the pre-press industry that I try to avoid with a long pole, so it might work out better if I find a vector drawing app that exists for the sole purpose of drawing vectors instead of graphic design.

A long while ago I used to work with 3D design applications, so I'd just draw my vectors there, and then export the CAD drawings, which are easily digestible as vector art. It was really fast because you already have all the tools to generate just about any shape you need.

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2014 10:31 |  #13

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16924637 (external link)
I'm pretty sure that Illustrator is a powerful application for drawing, but unfortunately its interface, standards and metrics are all rooted in the pre-press industry that I try to avoid with a long pole, so it might work out better if I find a vector drawing app that exists for the sole purpose of drawing vectors instead of graphic design.

I guess that's why Illustrator was my first choice, since I've been in the pre-press industry for 15 years. :) And the only thing I'd add is that Illustrator's purpose IS for drawing vectors but people too often use it for graphic design.

Photoshop should only be used for editing photos.
Illustrator should only be used for creating vector art.
InDesign is the program that all those other files should be placed into to create the final design.

I hate it when people build brochures and newsletters in Photoshop or Illustrator. It's just like anything else, if you use the right tool for the right job it will be faster and easier to complete your project. Sure you can create a brochure in Illustrator but unless that's the only program you own, why would you want to? There are so many more tools to make your life easier in inDesign that you'd only be hindering your project's quality by not using the right tool for the job.

[/prepress high-horse rant] ;)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 23, 2014 11:56 |  #14

Mesmer wrote in post #16924662 (external link)
.... It's just like anything else, if you use the right tool for the right job it will be faster and easier to complete your project......

But, if you have a big enough hammer and hit a square peg hard enough, you can drive it into a round hole. ;)

May not be pretty, but .... just saying ...

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 23, 2014 11:58 |  #15

Bill Boehme wrote in post #16924866 (external link)
But, if you have a big enough hammer and hit a square peg hard enough, you can drive it into a round hole. ;)

May not be pretty, but .... just saying ...

bw! :lol:

sponsored links

2,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone please help me fix a stamp logo?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.