Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 May 2014 (Wednesday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EBay asks customers to change passwords (?)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2014 09:30 |  #1

Seen anything on this? I logged into EBay and didn't see any news.

http://www.nbcnews.com …r-database-hacked-n110961 (external link)

sponsored links
HogansHeroes
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 21, 2014 09:57 |  #2

rick_reno wrote in post #16919683 (external link)

Its a Good idea to change it on occasion anyway.

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."
-Ansel Adams

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2014 10:09 |  #3

rick_reno wrote in post #16919683 (external link)

"EBay users will be contacted by the company on Wednesday asking them to change their passwords. A notice asking users to change their eBay passwords was first posted on the company website for PayPal, which is owned by eBay and handles its online payments."

We're not even half way through Wednesday yet. It also didn't say when exactly. Just Wednesday which could mean 12am, 12pm, or 11:59pm. For the west coast, they're still getting ready for work.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 21, 2014 11:03 |  #4

http://www.ebayinc.com …ay-users-change-passwords (external link)

Beginning later today, eBay users will be notified via email, site communications and other marketing channels to change their password.

drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 21, 2014 14:30 |  #5

It's legit. Paypal appears to be unaffected as their data is stored separately.

- my vimeo - (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,670 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2014 15:40 |  #6

When I tried to change my password, this is what I got:

"Page not available

Ebay is asking its users to reset their passwords due to the unauthorized access to our corporate information network. This may result in a delay of service due to the high traffic volume. We ask for your patience and that you return to eBay soon. In the meantime, please be assured that no activity can occur on your account until your password is reset."

"No activity can occur"? Well, I just placed a bid. Maybe they won't let me pay for anything until after their system digests the "high traffic volume".

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 21, 2014 16:16 |  #7

Ebay was hacked over two months ago and I had to find out from CNN. I immediately closed my account. Never liked ebay anyway.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

May 21, 2014 17:18 |  #8

DanThoman wrote in post #16920685 (external link)
Ebay was hacked over two months ago and I had to find out from CNN. I immediately closed my account. Never liked ebay anyway.

It happens all the time to nearly every site from Whitehouse.gov to Fbi.gov hell even the NSA gets hacked from time to time. There are weaknesses that can be used to exploit damn near every site out there including POTN. It's just a matter of IF someone finds the weakness and patches it before someone else is able to exploit it. And there are sites where points of attack are discussed security groups which share research. So once a weakness is known it's exploited by the masses who do as much harm as good in many cases by sharing the information.

Pretty much if there is a lock which allows access inside there is a way to break the lock. And there are vulnerabilities ranging from the OS to the server software to the database software and everything in between. If you do the research you will find most every bank on the planet has been hacked along with various Gas Stations, Walmart, Target, Kohls and even Subway. It happens but many will never tell anyone the truth unless forced by card associations or the courts.

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 22, 2014 03:52 |  #9

At least they are requiring the registered accounts e-mail or cell phone confirmation in order to change account passwords.

Another hack is disappointing but until the punishment fits the crime we will no doubt see more and more of this

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2014 12:07 |  #10

Ebay still has not sent me any messages on this..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 22, 2014 12:20 |  #11

I work in the tech industry with this sort of stuff, and the scary thing is that there really is no way to stop 100% of attacks. Also, knowing you've been hacked when no blatant damage has been done is extremely difficult. It can take weeks of poring over gigabytes of log files to figure out what even happened, and that's if you even realize you need to start looking. It's pretty scary, both as an insider and a customer. I don't doubt nearly every major corporation has been hacked within the past 24 months, but the amount of data lost and damage done varies. In fact a lot of security professionals are moving more toward the idea of assuming people can get in and figuring out how to limit the damage rather than focusing all their efforts on what is likely to be a futile attempt and preventing 100% of attacks.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

D.C.
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 22, 2014 12:44 |  #12

CNBC just had a bit on this. Said e-bay would be sending out e-mails to change password. They said you should change both just in case. I just finished.

Duane
7D, 430EX,10-22, 100 Macro, 100-400, 24-105, 500 F/4 IS

My Gallery (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 22, 2014 13:13 |  #13

D.C. wrote in post #16922585 (external link)
CNBC just had a bit on this. Said e-bay would be sending out e-mails to change password. They said you should change both just in case. I just finished.

What do you mean "both"?

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 22, 2014 13:22 |  #14

morph2_7 wrote in post #16922632 (external link)
What do you mean "both"?

PayPal.

eBay owns them.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 22, 2014 17:14 |  #15

I never received notification from e-bay either. I closed my e-bay account as well - haven't used it in too long - no use having out there.

I suspect when retailers and websites see enough people flee and ceasing business when these breaches occur and customers aren't notified - that they'll start to shape up, do a better job protecting data, and promptly notify customers.

I will not do business on e-bay again.

sponsored links

3,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
EBay asks customers to change passwords (?)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.