Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Service Center Newport News VA

this thread is locked
gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

May 22, 2014 14:01 |  #16

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922744 (external link)
Thanks Aki78 that is a good idea..

no, its not. you are being that customer. dont be that customer.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2014 14:30 |  #17

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922739 (external link)
First all on do you know how they clean cameras? they are place in a machine HANDS FREE, that is like you taking your car in the dealership to fix the front seat, and when you pick up your car it has 101 miles on it, as far the 14fps, you HAD NO BUSINESS mess with that on the camera, you have to go into menu and turn that on. I have had my camera clean there before and It was like 5 clicks difference when I got it back, now that is about right NOT101

So machines are infallible and never break, have errors, or screw up? Then why were you sending one of your machines in for servicing?

Wouldn't you be rather pissed if your camera got back to you, and a cleaning fluid had gotten in and dissolved a contact or something? Or a metal shaving had fallen off the machine and shorted something?

You should be pissed that their testing the previous time was so limited!

(I have a bachelors of science, currently working full time in software QA, and have pervious hardware QA experience. I'm rather well rounded when it comes to testing.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

IlliniFan99
83 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 22, 2014 14:46 |  #18

gnome chompski wrote in post #16922748 (external link)
no, its not. you are being that customer. dont be that customer.

This.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 22, 2014 15:22 |  #19

101? I seriously doubt they were screwing around with the camera. They didn't shoot a wedding with that amount. pretty sure they may be sick to death of camera's by the time they go home at night.

I agree... don't be THAT customer - next time, they won't test enough and you'll be doing the shipping back and fourth dance. It came back perfect - working flawless and clean and you are finding some belly lint to pick.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 15:24 |  #20

I have no clue what you are talking about, the camera cost 6,700 bucks, it like having your sport car you want little or zero miles on in, no matter what, if it was a cheap camera I would not have any problem, when you spend that type of money on a camera, you would like your camera to be done right,.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 22, 2014 15:53 |  #21

Buddy,

You're off base with your concerns. You sent your camera in to be tested, on a CPS membership no doubt. Which Canon presumes to mean that your camera is a professional tool and needs to run flawlessly. In its life as a professional tool 101 clicks is a few seconds. Furthermore the 1Dx is the king of the sports-photography bodies right now. 101 clicks may be one play in a football game where 1000s of frames are shot in a single game.
I'm pretty sure that while the technicians were working on your camera they were thinking in terms of running as many function tests as were necessary to ensure that your equipment was as good as they could get it before they sent it back to you.

I have several precision rifles that between rifle and scope cost quite a bit more than a 1DX plus the L Zoom of your choice combined. Some of them you only get a few thousand shots before it has to go back for a new barrel and fitting (a lot more money than a shutter replacement after 60,000 actuations). I can tell you that when I send a rifle to a gunsmith, I WANT him to shoot it and to shoot it as much as HE feels that he needs to in order to be satisfied that he's sending me back a product that he's satisfied is functioning as designed.

101 actuations was 3-4 rolls of film way back when and it was nothing back then. 101 actuations on one of the fastest camera bodies in existence is REALLY nothing.

All your complaint is going to do is potentially cause some tech to be worried about doing his job properly the next time.

As a guy with a piece of equipment at Canon right this minute begin repaired, I'd like the techs to be focused on fixing things.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2014 15:57 |  #22

If you take your sports car in for a transmission replacement, do you expect them to not start the engine at any point?

The 1Dx has a minimal probable shutter life of 400,000. They used 0.02% of the expected life. (And I know of a few 1Dx bodies out there that are already pushing over 800,000 with no shutter issues.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 22, 2014 16:00 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922925 (external link)
I have no clue what you are talking about, the camera cost 6,700 bucks, it like having your sport car you want little or zero miles on in, no matter what, if it was a cheap camera I would not have any problem, when you spend that type of money on a camera, you would like your camera to be done right,.

IMO, It was...

Dave

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 16:02 |  #24

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count, its nothing.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 22, 2014 16:20 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

People love to complain about the most insignificant things....If I were the guys from the service center I would put a mark on you to make sure I would never service any of your equipment ever again.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 22, 2014 16:37 |  #26

Oh my god - this is an outrage. If I were you, I wouldn't stop anywhere short of shaking an angry fist in their general direction. The gall!

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Aki78
961 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 22, 2014 21:14 |  #27

At least a courteous answer would've probably made the OP feel a bit better. Customer service goes a long way.

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 22, 2014 21:18 |  #28

I think most people on here are missing the point I know the 101 clicks will not kill my camera, I was just telling people what the service center was doing. You can do anything you want with your cameras.

So when your camera is gone for service for a while, who knows what they are doing with your camera.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

DwainRowe
783 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 22, 2014 21:46 |  #29

Aki78 wrote in post #16923599 (external link)
At least a courteous answer would've probably made the OP feel a bit better. Customer service goes a long way.

I'm almost sure that they were so shocked by the verbalization of such a ridiculous concern that they were unsure what to say on such short notice.

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16923610 (external link)
So when your camera is gone for service for a while, who knows what they are doing with your camera.

It sounds like what they were doing was completely and thoroughly running your camera through the paces. That is what I would want done for mine instead of them having little interest in its performance.

Good grief.

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 23, 2014 00:05 |  #30

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16923610 (external link)
I think most people on here are missing the point I know the 101 clicks will not kill my camera, I was just telling people what the service center was doing. You can do anything you want with your cameras.

Gee, when my 60D was in the VA service center a couple years ago, they did exactly what I asked them to do, then went through everything top to bottom and when I got it back it was probably better than new. I wasn't an anal case worried about a few shutter clicks during checkout. I was thrilled that they repaired what was wrong, cleaned it thoroughly, and did it all at no charge under warranty, including shipping, and turned it around in less than a week. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with them.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sponsored links

5,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Service Center Newport News VA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.