Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your Opinion on my PP

futurebrewer
260 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Currently Corvallis, Oregon. Originally from Chicago, Illinois

May 22, 2014 14:00 |  #1

Hi all,

I'd really like to get some feedback on the way I process some of my photos, specifically the one I'm posting here. I realize that taste is subjective, but how do you feel about the way this photo is processed? What do you like about it? What do you hate about it? What could I have done differently? I've also included the same photo with no processing for comparison.

Also, I think my 50mm 1.8 might be out of focus? I had the little focus marker betweem his nose and eyes, but it looks like the hat got all the focus! Do you see that too or am I imagining things?

Thanks in advance!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i74.photobucket​.com …fnight/AdamSide​bySide.jpg (external link)

Gear:Canon 5D, 50mm f/1.8 II
http://celines-ellipsis.tumblr.com (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 22, 2014 16:18 |  #2

Well...

First, as to the focus, I'd say that much of the hat logo is pretty much in line with what you were "aiming" at, although with a compressed Web image it's hard to really nail what's really in the sharpest focus. If you look at that part of your image at 100% you could get a better idea. However, realize that the AF system (and the "circle" of the focus sensor(s)) is broader than just the little point you see in the viewfinder. Getting the best focus can require you to pay close attention visually, especially if you are using a wide aperture which will result in a narrow depth of field!

As to your processing, like you said much is subjective...you lightened the shadows/dark areas and so showed more detail, but in the process lost some of the contrast that came out with the light of the original, but that's not necessarily bad, in fact if you had used a bit of flash you would have gotten a similar effect, but then, you could add a bit of contrast (or "Clarity") to your edited version and see if it's more, well, to your taste!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 22, 2014 16:46 |  #3

If you have Lightroom try the default general presets Medium Contrast Curve and Punch
Also download free ABD set and download Soup to Snap and Snowscape Snap
While they may help or hurt certain photos.
I found them are good free starting points to post processing my photos.
Then change each setting individually as needed.
Best of luck.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

May 22, 2014 16:48 |  #4

Youll get more answers in the critique corner as this isnt the place for feedback:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=12

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,773 posts
Gallery: 245 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 22, 2014 17:04 |  #5

I'm assuming that the pic on the left is the 'before' and the right is the 'after'? In any event, I'll say that I like the pic on the left more. The pic on the right is washed out - yes, some detail got brought out in the shadows and his beard, but to what effect? I'm not trying at all to be mean, but honestly, I think that the processing results in a blotchy-ness of his skin, a scraggly-ness of his beard and results in him looking like he's homeless, more than anything else.

Edited to add: personally, I would have kept it simple. To my eye, the shot looks a little underexposed - I would have bumped it a bit (a stop or less) and increased contrast and/or increased the blacks. You made the eyes pop pretty well - it might be a hair much for my taste, but it's not egregious.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 22, 2014 17:19 as a reply to  @ WhyFi's post |  #6

To my eyes, it looks a bit front-focused.. the brim of his hat is sharpest.

I have to agree with WhyFi, wrt his beard(and eyebrows) looking scraggly now. Maybe something midway between these exposures, would be a good compromise.

While this may be more accurate, to his actual appearance, i don't think it's flattering.

Sometimes with portraits, you don't want all details to be accurate. ;)

Kel
Gear

telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 22, 2014 19:15 |  #7

The bright light behind him is also distracting, get him to turn so that you dont get that light. My guess is that the sun is really bright which is making him squint a bit, or hes moody lol

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 22, 2014 19:54 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

To my taste it needs some contrast and saturation. I tend to overdo both, frequently, though.

sarch99
339 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 22, 2014 20:10 |  #9

His skin looks bluish to me......personally, I'd warm it up a bit.

Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 23, 2014 01:04 as a reply to  @ sarch99's post |  #10

logo on the cap, eyes , eye brows mustache, beard are in focus. i think picture lost sharpness during resizing. i don't think lens has any problem focusing .
picture needs little bit of punch. if you allow we might give it a try (but post the larger size around 640X800 pixels of the processed version of the portrait)
and don't sharpen it. once processed properly it should be pretty sharp.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 23, 2014 03:10 |  #11

And, set "Image Editing OK" in your User panel!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your Opinion on my PP
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.