Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 May 2014 (Wednesday) 03:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D AutoFocus is Horrible.

this thread is locked
CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2014 16:34 |  #46

^I've liked having AI-Servo set to the DoF preview button as well. Handy.

I've not had much reason to complain about the 6D's AF and I rarely focus with the center point. The 6D is the wrong tool for certain people with exacting requirements, but that's what the 5DIII is for. For my needs the 6D works fine. What I don't particularly like is the AF point selection process, which still feels clunky and slow after a year or so of use. I'd love more points and more efficient options for selecting them, sure, but I'm not willing to pay another grand and carry a significantly heavier camera to get those things. Most of my misses are user error.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

sponsored links
Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 21, 2014 17:03 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

DwainRowe wrote in post #16920148 (external link)
I am curious why the usual 6D bashers haven't shown up in this thread yet. Could they be out shooting photos?

Nah. Couldn't be.

Could it be that they have finally "seen the light" and toned down their spite due to the reality of a fine 6D AF system?

Dave

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2014 18:12 |  #48

CaliWalkabout wrote in post #16920719 (external link)
AF point selection process, which still feels clunky and slow after a year or so of use. I'd love more points and more efficient options for selecting them, sure, but I'm not willing to pay another grand and carry a significantly heavier camera to get those things. Most of my misses are user error.

I hope the 6D2 will address these annoying issues. Even my older 5Dc with it's ancient joystick feels more enjoyable when choosing af points. If the 6D2 doesnt address this then I'll definitely pass in favor of a 5D3. I definitely dont like the weight of the 5D3, but hate the point selection of the 6D worse. Even the 60D had a better point selection.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2014 19:40 |  #49

I am sorry but the 6D is rubbish in all respects - now that you know this, can I buy one of yours cheap?????????

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,055 posts
Gallery: 2053 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 21, 2014 20:08 |  #50

I think a drastic improvement would be an upgrade in the centre focus area with a three way sensor - vertical/horizontal and diagnal with more precision, forget about having 50 + areas if like me you only centre subjects in the middle and track them, the rest of the sensors are redundant.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,055 posts
Gallery: 2053 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 21, 2014 20:12 |  #51

Imagine a focus sensor that not only finds its target but has an additional cross focus sensor that can find even smaller objects and lock on to them even beyond our eyesight range.

P.

Some stuff.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 21, 2014 20:17 |  #52

I feel old... All the hours I spent focusing that bride walking down the isle, or getting that flying bird, I appreciate all auto-focus capabilities. I guess I haven't yet learned to complain about them yet because I'm just happy they are available. It used to be a skill we learned, now it's a technology we depend on.

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 21, 2014 20:52 |  #53

I do mostly landscapes and night time stuff with long exposures. Just bought one today. Glad to hear the AF isn't completely unusable for anything outside of the center point. YouTube videos make it sound like the end of the world. But I wanted a full frame with low noise for star trails and landscapes and the 5D3 was out of range, the 70D is a crop and seems awesome but less geared towards my 80% usage area, and Nikon seems to have dirty sensors? This was nerve racking. At least it's over for another 5 or 6 years or so for me.
I cannot believe the AF is gonna be worse than my XSI was. If it's borderline line the same for action I will be bummed for a few minutes....or until I get to test -3ev in the weee morning hours.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 22, 2014 03:01 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

I've been following along with this. I guess it is about time for my two-cents worth. I bought a 5Dc about two years ago. Late last year I upgraded that body to a 6D. I've also been using a 60D for about four years.

Comparing the AF on the 5Dc and 6D is almost an exercise in idiocy. The 5Dc struggled in mediocre light, with fast glass, even using the center point. The outer points would regularly hunt in shady areas of broad daylight. My 6D has none of these problems. The outer points of the 6D will focus, accurately if not quickly, in light the 5Dc's center point would choke on. I have no complaints about my 6D's ability to focus, quickly and adequately, in good light. Likewise, it will focus accurately in very poor light, albeit a bit slowly at times.

When it comes to shooting things that move, I think the 60D is superior, in every way, to the 6D. Be advised that this may be inexperience talking. I tried some sports with my 6D and the 100 f/2, and Sigma 70-200 OS. Neither performed to the level they do on the 60D. If shooting moving targets, I use my 60D.

The 6D is my first body with MFA. As far as I am concerned, it doesn't need it. Or maybe I don't need it. None of the following list of lenses needed any MFA adjustment:
Tamron 28-75
Sigma 70-200 OS
Canon 28-135
Canon 35 2 IS
Canon 100-400L
Canon 100 2

Maybe MFA is more useful to those of you shooting f/1.2 or f/1.4 lenses. So far, I am happy with my 6D and its 'hobbled' AF system. Although, I must admit, I'd rather have a 5D3. Finances don't permit that.

Nissanfairladyz32
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 22, 2014 03:17 |  #55

CollegeKid wrote in post #16921758 (external link)
I've been following along with this. I guess it is about time for my two-cents worth. I bought a 5Dc about two years ago. Late last year I upgraded that body to a 6D. I've also been using a 60D for about four years.

Comparing the AF on the 5Dc and 6D is almost an exercise in idiocy. The 5Dc struggled in mediocre light, with fast glass, even using the center point. The outer points would regularly hunt in shady areas of broad daylight. My 6D has none of these problems. The outer points of the 6D will focus, accurately if not quickly, in light the 5Dc's center point would choke on. I have no complaints about my 6D's ability to focus, quickly and adequately, in good light. Likewise, it will focus accurately in very poor light, albeit a bit slowly at times.

When it comes to shooting things that move, I think the 60D is superior, in every way, to the 6D. Be advised that this may be inexperience talking. I tried some sports with my 6D and the 100 f/2, and Sigma 70-200 OS. Neither performed to the level they do on the 60D. If shooting moving targets, I use my 60D.

The 6D is my first body with MFA. As far as I am concerned, it doesn't need it. Or maybe I don't need it. None of the following list of lenses needed any MFA adjustment:
Tamron 28-75
Sigma 70-200 OS
Canon 28-135
Canon 35 2 IS
Canon 100-400L
Canon 100 2

Maybe MFA is more useful to those of you shooting f/1.2 or f/1.4 lenses. So far, I am happy with my 6D and its 'hobbled' AF system. Although, I must admit, I'd rather have a 5D3. Finances don't permit that.

Id rather have a 5d3 as well. the 6d just seemed to good of a deal for what your getting for the money, i was just always afraid to shoot moving subjects like action sports or animals running but i honestly had nothing to worry about, I'm actually impressed with how well the auto focus keeps up in servo mode.

www.jamesmcguirephotog​raphy.com (external link)
5DIII / 24-70 2.8 ISL / 70-200 F2.8 IsII L / Flash = YN-560 III / YN-565

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 22, 2014 04:14 |  #56

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #16921769 (external link)
Id rather have a 5d3 as well. the 6d just seemed to good of a deal for what your getting for the money, i was just always afraid to shoot moving subjects like action sports or animals running but i honestly had nothing to worry about, I'm actually impressed with how well the auto focus keeps up in servo mode.

Actually I have a 5D3 and I'm hanging onto the 6D. Why? Well because sometimes it produces better results. It has a better sensor, cleaner high ISO and more tonal detail if you raise shadows significantly.
However, out side of these extreme situations the 5D3 sensor seems to produce better more saturated colours. But if you're shooting real estate, architecture or landscape, you'll get better results with the 6D due to it's better shadow performance.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 22, 2014 04:18 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

Nissanfairladyz32 wrote in post #16921769 (external link)

We're on the same page. I am not afraid to use my 6D for yard-parties, or kids on the playground and generally predictable stuff. I do get better results with my 60D for erratic stuff like soccer and basketball. As mentioned though, that may be due to inexperience. I am not a sports shooter, or even a sports enthusiast. Neither have I tried to adjust the AI-Servo focus parameters on my 6D.

Nigi
122 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2006

May 22, 2014 04:44 |  #58

What I found the most limiting with 6D af is it's necessity to use central (great) af point in very low light. Simply the others often can't lock focus on people eyes/faces in light levels below ev 3 (weakly light living-room at night, candle light etc).
Center point can lock focus (sometimes after hunting a bit) even in nearly completely dark corners on dark-black items - it's incredible how sensitive it is even with f4 zoom.
I would happily compromise a little center to have better the others, but not for another 1000 pounds.
So overall I am very happy.
I do not use much af tracking, but I have dof preview mapped as one shot/tracing switch and it's very useful sometimes.

wisdom2thewise
127 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 23, 2014 05:25 |  #59

I miss my 6D.

Sold my first DSLR & lens = 6D (24-105L) & (40)
Now what prime should i get with the 7d mark ii?...

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 23, 2014 06:12 |  #60

Of course its not the same as 1Dx or 5DIII, but its very cabable in low light and atleast for me keeps up very well with birds in flight and sports. I cant see the diffrence when I tested 1D mark IV and 6D side by side, just as fast with same lens (400mm f/2.8) and just as reliable.

I dont get why people complain about 6D, its cheaper so its automaticaly rubbish? Yeah, right...

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links

14,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D AutoFocus is Horrible.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.