Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Service Center Newport News VA

this thread is locked
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2014 00:21 |  #31

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16923610 (external link)
I think most people on here are missing the point I know the 101 clicks will not kill my camera, I was just telling people what the service center was doing. You can do anything you want with your cameras.

So when your camera is gone for service for a while, who knows what they are doing with your camera.

No one is missing the point, except you. As someone who has spent a lifetime as a technician I can tell you we saw people like you in my shop all too often. I bet if you knew what the actual factory prescribed test drive regiment was for your car you'd never take it to get serviced. :lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 23, 2014 04:38 |  #32

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922443 (external link)
Hello on this past Monday I sent my Canon 1DX in for checking and cleaning, I have a CPS membership within 2 days I received my 1DX checked and cleaned. Before I sent it in I wrote down the shutter count, when I received it back IT WAS 101 more shutter clicks was on from when I sent it in. When I open the box the power was left on and some of the advance setting had been change, all the other setting were factory default setting I sent it in with no cards no lens just the battery.

I called the service they gave me the run around and finally they told me they will get to the drop of this(Yeah right) and call me back. So far I have not heard a word back.

A word to everyone record your shutter count before sending in your camera's it is no telling what did to with my camera, someone might have even taken it home over night.

How unprofessional is that.. Very sad

wow, 101 clicks additional clicks
yes, so very sad

you should sue Canon for unauthorized camera usage

Nick5
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 23, 2014 05:07 |  #33

I think most people on here are missing the point I know the 101 clicks will not kill my camera, I was just telling people what the service center was doing. You can do anything you want with your cameras.

So when your camera is gone for service for a while, who knows what they are doing with your camera.

As a CPS Member myself, I know what they are doing with my Camera.......they are fixing it,running it through a series of checks, and contacting me when it is ready for pick up.
With a 1Dx, I would think running a camera through burst mode a few times would be standard protocol.
Your 1Dx is like a thouroughbred, it just wants to run.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,438 posts
Joined May 2003

May 23, 2014 07:48 |  #34

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16922443 (external link)
Hello on this past Monday I sent my Canon 1DX in for checking and cleaning, I have a CPS membership within 2 days I received my 1DX checked and cleaned. Before I sent it in I wrote down the shutter count, when I received it back IT WAS 101 more shutter clicks was on from when I sent it in. When I open the box the power was left on and some of the advance setting had been change, all the other setting were factory default setting I sent it in with no cards no lens just the battery.

101 additional clicks; what did you expect a "check" to include? And you got it back in two days. Leaving the power on isn't a big deal; the camera design handles that situation. As far as setting back to factory defaults that may have been necessary to properly check the camera. I personally write down any special settings that I might change so that I can redo them later if need be. But then at 71 years of age I can't remember what I had for breakfast. So as I see it your only complaint is the camera being returned at default settings, and that is your personal shortcoming, because if you review page 358 of the manual you will learn that you could have saved all your settings to the card you didn't send them.

Move on, there are more important things in life!

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2014 13:47 |  #35

Well since most of you all know so much about what the canon service center does to your camera, One question then, when I called and ask about it "Why didn't none of them I spoke from the rep, to the supervisor, and someone that was over all of them, Why DID NOT ONE OF THEM TELL ME THAT.. and they work there, and YOU ALL DON'T! If fact I got an email from canon today and they apologize, and I got two free cleaning coupons..

So it DOES NOT PAID TO THINK YOU KNOW.. I posted this to just to tell people beware when you send you camera in..

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2014 13:55 |  #36

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16925075 (external link)
Well since most of you all know so much about what the canon service center does to your camera, One question then, when I called and ask about it "Why didn't none of them I spoke from the rep, to the supervisor, and someone that was over all of them, Why DID NOT ONE OF THEM TELL ME THAT.. and they work there, and YOU ALL DON'T! If fact I got an email from canon today and they apologize, and I got two free cleaning coupons..

So it DOES NOT PAID TO THINK YOU KNOW.. I posted this to just to tell people beware when you send you camera in..

Take a second to unbunch your panties there Nancy. The people you talk too on the phone aren't the one's working on the camera. The person you talk to at a car service center likely wouldn't know how to rotate a tire. Coupons are what they do to shut up noisy people. Ever hear the phrase "squeaky wheel gets the grease"? It doesn't mean you're right, it just means they think it's cheaper/easier to just give you something to shut you up. Lots of businesses behave that way these days. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,438 posts
Joined May 2003

May 23, 2014 14:00 |  #37

And they likely were amazed that someone would call and question the level of service they had already rendered which in my opinion was exceptional.

IlliniFan99
83 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 23, 2014 14:14 |  #38

if you speak on the phone the way you type, my guess is they had no idea what you were saying and, therefore, couldn't give you an answer.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 23, 2014 14:27 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE: http://cf.chucklesnetwork.com/items/1/2/2/0/4/9/original/you-mad-bro.jpg

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

Lt ­ Colonel
701 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 23, 2014 15:15 |  #40

If I were you, I wouldn't stand for such abuse of your Canon camera. I'd sell it and all my Canon equipment and buy Nikon they might not do QA on their equipment. There are many of us on this forum that would love to have a 1DX and would not cry about 101 shutter clicks during QA. The mere fact that you check you shutter count before you send in your equipment leads one to believe you have no trust in the service center to start with.

I'll start the bids for the 1DX at $1000.

Don't forget to cancel your CPS.

Geez

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,438 posts
Joined May 2003

May 23, 2014 16:20 |  #41

Lt Colonel wrote in post #16925239 (external link)
Don't forget to cancel your CPS.

Geez

One has to wonder if a Canon computer record now carries a notation re: the attitude of the OP. Easy to accomplish these days.

shutterrelease
148 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 23, 2014 17:50 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #42

Don't use those coupons! If you send your camera back there, it will add another 202 shutter counts. Give them to somebody who doesn't mind having their camera tested! ;)

1D2N, 1DS2, 5DII, 5D MkIII

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2014 18:17 |  #43

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16925087 (external link)
Take a second to unbunch your panties there Nancy. The people you talk too on the phone aren't the one's working on the camera. The person you talk to at a car service center likely wouldn't know how to rotate a tire. Coupons are what they do to shut up noisy people. Ever hear the phrase "squeaky wheel gets the grease"? It doesn't mean you're right, it just means they think it's cheaper/easier to just give you something to shut you up. Lots of businesses behave that way these days. ;)

Just Brilliant, I think I rather trust the people working at the service center, then YOU...
I notice the people on here that is talking the most JUNK, if you look at the equipment list, Mid range or low end equipment... please close this thread unreal...

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,090 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 23, 2014 18:50 |  #44

They did this to make sure it worked.
You sent it to them to have it checked.
To do this, they have to CHECK.

So they switched it to 14fps and checked to see if it was all working.
That's just one small part of what checking is.

By the way, as far as I know, the cleaning is NOT a "hands free automated wash like at the drive through car wash"
I'm pretty sure it's a lab tech with a sensor cleaning pen. At least that's how it was for many many years.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sbgagne
142 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 23, 2014 18:51 |  #45

Can't wait to hear what happens to your camera if/when you take it in again. I am sure they will give it "Special" treatment.

sponsored links

5,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Service Center Newport News VA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.