Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2014 15:04 |  #586

Mike55 wrote in post #16929447 (external link)
As someone who sells on Alamy, I have real problems with cameras that don't look "nice" at 100% RAW. My experience has been that the newer crop cameras look mushy at 100% RAW, ability to print larger images or not. There's almost a painterly, smeary vibe going on at 100%.

Can you still get good shots? Sure. But like the others, the combination of focus inconsistency at telephoto and the smear effect makes it less likely to rescue images that were father away than we'd like, or in lesser light.

Ultimately, I feel FF will just take over for the mid-range crop cameras. That said, I'd still like to see a 7D II at 14mp, high frame rate, etc. That would pique my interest for sure.

If you don't like how the new, high mp crops look, the thing is, you can always reduce the 20mp 70D image to say 12mp and then it'll look even sharper than a 10mp 40D ever does at 100%. There you go, an image that looks extremely sharp at 100% :)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 25, 2014 15:26 |  #587

that what kenrockwell said on his web site :
( I don't need 21MP. I usually shoot set down to 11MP (Medium) and get images much sharper than from 12MP (native) cameras, like the Nikon full-frame cameras.

For family photos, even the 5D Mark II's SMALL (5MP) setting is plenty for making great 20 x 30" prints, since its 5MP setting has about the same sharpness as an 8MP (native) camera. )

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 25, 2014 15:27 |  #588

I was very happy with the 7D at 100% If BH can get me a 70D that can focus correctly I can report back on that too.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 25, 2014 21:09 |  #589

Frodge wrote in post #16929442 (external link)
Do people have focus issues? Do people have battery issues? Have you read a lot of complaints on the internet? Have you read of complaints here? Is there most probably some sort of qc issue? I don't need I own a camera to derive a solid opinion. In fact I spoke with a fellow a couple weeks ago who has the focus issue and is begin canon to buy it back from him.

I think the point that many people are making is that you have made your opinion know, again and again. We understand your point and repeating it every few days is not improving your position. Many are very happy with their camera.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

jarrieta
81 posts
Joined Oct 2012

May 26, 2014 00:03 |  #590

single_track wrote in post #16930092 (external link)
I think the point that many people are making is that you have made your opinion know, again and again. We understand your point and repeating it every few days is not improving your position. Many are very happy with their camera.

Agree.

Life is the system, love is the core.
EOS 70D / ∑ 17-50mm 2.8 / EF 85mm 1.8

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

May 26, 2014 00:14 as a reply to  @ jarrieta's post |  #591

Purchased my 70D back in December and just sold mine a few days ago to upgrade and i'm glad its gone. Of course i miss the touch screen and Flip Screen but the Focus Issues drove me insane. Id go out shooting and come back to see only 40% of my images were in Focus and on top of that, its was every focus point, not just the center. I've only had 6D since Friday and i would easily say 98% of the pictures taken are in focus. I'm never going to look back at the 70D until Magic Lantern becomes available

Canon C200 | Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35 f4L IS USM | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,688 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

May 26, 2014 09:08 as a reply to  @ DJHaze596's post |  #592

Just stumbled across this video by "Micheal the Mentor" ie; Michael the Maven, where he comments about this AF issue. In summary he thinks that it's probably not as widespread a problem as it's getting made out to be. He states that he doesn't shoot wide-open with fast lenses using the view finder. Instead he uses live view. He further comments about it possibly being a problem with the very narrow DOF, with fast lenses. This would be for those that focus and recompose. This could cause the focus point to be pulled outside the plane with very shallow DOF. He also commented on how many people are calling the 70D a piece of junk. He owns and uses one, and feels that it is a very good camera.

One last thing he does comment about, if enough noise is made to Canon, maybe they'll fix it (for those that have the issue).

Anyway for anyone interested the video is on YouTube.

Canon EOS 70D Focusing Issue (external link)

Ron
My Gear List

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 26, 2014 10:22 |  #593

DJHaze596 wrote in post #16930363 (external link)
Purchased my 70D back in December and just sold mine a few days ago to upgrade and i'm glad its gone. Of course i miss the touch screen and Flip Screen but the Focus Issues drove me insane. Id go out shooting and come back to see only 40% of my images were in Focus and on top of that, its was every focus point, not just the center. I've only had 6D since Friday and i would easily say 98% of the pictures taken are in focus. I'm never going to look back at the 70D until Magic Lantern becomes available

My exact experience with the 7D at telephoto (key word being telephoto, the 7D images at 50mm and less look pretty good). I also test drove a 70D and found it inconsistent at telephoto, and fine at wide angle. The 6d is a relief.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 26, 2014 10:25 |  #594

frozenframe wrote in post #16930880 (external link)
Just stumbled across this video by "Micheal the Mentor" ie; Michael the Maven, where he comments about this AF issue. In summary he thinks that it's probably not as widespread a problem as it's getting made out to be. He states that he doesn't shoot wide-open with fast lenses using the view finder. Instead he uses live view. He further comments about it possibly being a problem with the very narrow DOF, with fast lenses. This would be for those that focus and recompose. This could cause the focus point to be pulled outside the plane with very shallow DOF. He also commented on how many people are calling the 70D a piece of junk. He owns and uses one, and feels that it is a very good camera.

One last thing he does comment about, if enough noise is made to Canon, maybe they'll fix it (for those that have the issue).

Anyway for anyone interested the video is on YouTube.

Canon EOS 70D Focusing Issue (external link)

I like his channel and have been subscribed to him for a while now. He does GREAT shoot out videos. But this whole video is a contradiction.

0:54 shows out of focus picture using a 50 1.4 but an mfa adjustment fixes it Yet he shoots other things and the focus is hit and miss using the center point

MFA is a constant fix for a constant problem If you are having inconsistent focus mfa is not going to cure it.

1:36 I personally would never shoot wide open and recompose

No kidding, who would and that's not the issue. Yet half the video is why not to do this.

3:36 The fix is to use live view or manual focus

neither are really a fix unless you only shoot landscapes, portraits and you consider sports shooting a local snail race. Yes, I bought a $1200.00 af camera to only use manual focus.

5:00 probably just a few camera's but it is a problem

Yet the reason for the video is in the first opening line.

0:03 One question i am getting TONS of email about is the focusing problem with the center focus square at wide open on the canon 70D. A lot of people are reporting this to me

Canon is pretty good about fixing their mistakes if enough noise is heard. I am sure we will see something.

I am surprised he knows nothing of the 1Diii fiasco. Two years and 2 recalls to get a pro level camera to focus properly. I am holding out little hope for them to jump on a pro-sumer camera problem.

Still I applaud him for even making the video. The more people that know about 70D focusing issues the better, for everybody.

ddgtr
25 posts
Joined May 2014

May 26, 2014 13:58 |  #595

Good points, Scoobert. Especially about the so-called fix where he recommends using LV instead of the view finder...

socal13
26 posts
Joined May 2014

May 26, 2014 19:14 as a reply to  @ ddgtr's post |  #596

I'm experiencing this problem with my 17-55 f/2.8 lens when focusing through the VF, at f/2.8, at about 15' or more. At any higher apertures it appears OK.... but, I paid a good chunk for this Canon lens so that I could shoot at 2.8 when I need it! And it has worked just fine on my 40D for many years.

I've spent significant time getting the MFA as accurate as possible, and sometimes it looks tack sharp at 2.8, but just when I think everything is fine, I'll go take some more shots and find it is intermittently miss-focusing with the center point focus. And when it fails, it is usually way off - everything in the frame appears to be soft. It is not solely a front/back focus adjustment issue. Live view is always perfect, but shooting live view 100% of the time is a non-starter.

I've read a lot of posts on different forums now, and I've seen no response from Canon.

My questions:
1 - Is anyone from Canon reading this forum? If so, can we get some feedback?
2 - Has anyone gotten even a simple acknowledgement from Canon that they understand that there is a problem, have recreated it, and are working on fixing it?

Thanks!

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 26, 2014 19:20 |  #597

socal13 wrote in post #16932166 (external link)
My questions:
1 - Is anyone from Canon reading this forum? If so, can we get some feedback?
2 - Has anyone gotten even a simple acknowledgement from Canon that they understand that there is a problem, have recreated it, and are working on fixing it?

Thanks!

1. Even if they were on this forum they would never admit to anything. There was nothing wrong (they would admit too) with the 1Diii right up til the first recall.

2. See rule one.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,208 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 26, 2014 21:28 |  #598

socal13 wrote in post #16932166 (external link)
I'm experiencing this problem with my 17-55 f/2.8 lens when focusing through the VF, at f/2.8, at about 15' or more. At any higher apertures it appears OK.... but, I paid a good chunk for this Canon lens so that I could shoot at 2.8 when I need it! And it has worked just fine on my 40D for many years.

I've spent significant time getting the MFA as accurate as possible, and sometimes it looks tack sharp at 2.8, but just when I think everything is fine, I'll go take some more shots and find it is intermittently miss-focusing with the center point focus. And when it fails, it is usually way off - everything in the frame appears to be soft. It is not solely a front/back focus adjustment issue. Live view is always perfect, but shooting live view 100% of the time is a non-starter.

The above sounds remarkably like my first 70D - only for me I could not get sharp shots with my 70-300L IS at any aperture. My MA was wonky... would take too long to describe its 'erratic' behaviour...

Now my second copy of the 70D 'seems' sharper (an improvement) on the images I do attain focus - but center-point AF failed 60% of the time on my 120 shots today... mainly using AI Servo at f/5.6 or 6.3 and 300mm...

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 27, 2014 06:20 |  #599

gabebalazs wrote in post #16929457 (external link)
If you don't like how the new, high mp crops look, the thing is, you can always reduce the 20mp 70D image to say 12mp and then it'll look even sharper than a 10mp 40D ever does at 100%. There you go, an image that looks extremely sharp at 100% :)

Excellent advice.

Would these people ever consider printing their images 2m wide and then examining them from 6 inches away? Probably not - because that would be intensely stupid.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 27, 2014 12:22 |  #600

hollis_f wrote in post #16933033 (external link)
Excellent advice.

Would these people ever consider printing their images 2m wide and then examining them from 6 inches away? Probably not - because that would be intensely stupid.

Rotflmao

sponsored links

350,969 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.