Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2014 (Tuesday) 13:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Lens for Canon 5DmkIII

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 27, 2014 13:30 |  #1

Hi,

I am looking into trying some of this Astro photography with a camera.

I was thinking about getting the iOptron Skyguider as a mount (know nothing about these things but from what I have read this should be good for doing exposures?)

I currently have the lens listed in my sig. From what I have read a wide angle seems to be preferred for this sort of shooting. Can anyone recommend which lens would be the best to use when starting out in this.

Thanks

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
ozzmodan
260 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2014 13:32 |  #2

You should buy my 24mm f/1.4 mkI, so that I can buy the mkII.

Gear List

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 27, 2014 14:08 |  #3

ozzmodan wrote in post #16933831 (external link)
You should buy my 24mm f/1.4 mkI, so that I can buy the mkII.

Ouch! $1500, but I guess I would be using it for a lot more purposes. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get a cheaper option, although......:D

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 27, 2014 17:51 |  #4

General_T wrote in post #16933826 (external link)
Hi,

I was thinking about getting the iOptron Skyguider as a mount (know nothing about these things but from what I have read this should be good for doing exposures?)

I currently have the lens listed in my sig. From what I have read a wide angle seems to be preferred for this sort of shooting. Can anyone recommend which lens would be the best to use when starting out in this.

Thanks

The Rokinon lens are very popular with astro photographers and you can find many on this forum who use them, they are a very good lens at a reasonable price. WEBSITE (external link)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 27, 2014 20:06 |  #5

the jimmy wrote in post #16934419 (external link)
The Rokinon lens are very popular with astro photographers and you can find many on this forum who use them, they are a very good lens at a reasonable price. WEBSITE (external link)

Thanks,

I have come across the name and will look into them.

Cheers

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 31, 2014 10:56 |  #6

I use Rokinon 14mm & Zeiss 21mm for night photography with great results.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Proper_propaganda
78 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 01, 2014 22:07 |  #7

I just picked up the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 which has been amazing for shooting at night. I've played around with a friend's rokinon 14mm and it is sharp, but I like the tokina better. the 16-28 is very sharp and has little distortion at 16mm.

Here's a shot from this past week with the 6d/tokina 16-28. It's a little noisy but I didn't spend much time processing this one, not my favorite composition from that night but you get the idea

IMAGE: http://s27.postimg.org/gdvzcwg0z/Lakefrancis1fb.jpg

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 02, 2014 18:40 |  #8

Proper_propaganda wrote in post #16945451 (external link)
I just picked up the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 which has been amazing for shooting at night. I've played around with a friend's rokinon 14mm and it is sharp, but I like the tokina better. the 16-28 is very sharp and has little distortion at 16mm.

Here's a shot from this past week with the 6d/tokina 16-28. It's a little noisy but I didn't spend much time processing this one, not my favorite composition from that night but you get the idea
QUOTED IMAGE

Very Nice work, am looking into the Rokinon.

Thanks

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,866 posts
Gallery: 2026 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 05, 2014 04:32 |  #9

General_T wrote in post #16933826 (external link)
Hi,

Thanks

Heya,

Samynag 24mm F1.4. Seriously. It's $500, and better than the 24L for astro. Less coma. Sharper. It's just an incredible wide field astro lens for full frame. You don't even need a tracker with it. But if you do get a tracker, the iOptron will let you do incredible exposures with minimal ISO's, so that you don't have to do as much post clean up. Or you can combine tracking and ISO for burst exposures to do a lot of really huge light gathers in short periods of time. Like 2 minute exposures at ISO 1600 for example, it would look super clean.

Look at NCHANT's work with the Samyang 24mm F1.4, you will be sold. He specifically has a thread that compares the 24L to the Samyang and the Samyang takes it pretty handedly.

With the saved cash, get a Rokinon 14mm F2.8 to compliment as an ultrawide. Trust me you'll want both. I shoot at these equivalent focal lengths and I often am either at one end or the other of ultrawide and wide for milky way and other wide field astro. I'm sure you've possibly seen my iOptron thread so you know what it looks like.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

2,897 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Lens for Canon 5DmkIII
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.